It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Eldar Help!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:47 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Hi, as you may know im a sm player, but i was thinking of starting a eldar army. Can anyone offer up advice on what to get and some strategies to win, as you may also know, my friends are a Tau and Sm.

Post subject: Re: Eldar Help!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:01 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Location: I sleep on the MWG floor, curled up with my mini's.
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
First step: Buy a Codex.

Next... you have to decide what you want to field. In my opinion, you will want at least 1 Fire Prism. You may also want a Wave Serpent and a full squad of Dire Avengers, and a Farseer with Doom to accompany them. Rangers are always a welcome addition, especially if you upgrade them to pathfinders.

Then your Aspects... I would probably say 6 Fire Dragons in a Falcon are absolutely devastating. More of less you will end up with 8 str 8 shots... 6 of which are melta. Although I usually don't use these guys for Tank Hunters.... I usually use either Swooping Hawks... or a Squad of Storm Guardians with 2 Fusion Blasters and a Warlock with Enhance. I also love fielding Vibrocannons. In a 3 weapon battery, they are incredible.

Hope this helps a little.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

And that is why Kharn was cut from the original cast of Puttin' on the Ritz.

Eldar - 8000-ish
Space Marine - 1500+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:14 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Lol thanks alot, im going to pick up a codex this weekend after christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:46 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Hello Mistro,

After buying your codex, you will want to think about what sort of army you want to build. An eldar army can be any sort of army you want; ie. close combat, ranged, armor heavy... etc.
When buying models pick the ones that you like, you will find that in the eldar list all the units are good. The real challenge is learning to use them, IMO the Eldar are the hardest army to use. I say this because in the eldar list one unit is really good at one thing, and when used for roles that they are not designed for they are wasted.
It is good that you want a more challenging army to use as Eldar are just that.
Research the web for Eldar tactica's and such, there is a lot of material out there. As for what is going to win games for you.... that is entirely up to you. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:52 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

I agree with just about everything Joe said. I just want to add a few more things.

Banshees are a must, especialy if you give the exarch an executioner. And if you Doom them...well lets just say they're good at killing...very good.

Don't bother attaching a starcannon to any vehicle, they're not really worth the huge points cost. Same goes for bright lances, unless you're fitting them to a Wave Serpent, then they're twin-linked. Mnnnnn...twin-linked.... Some one may point out that you can fit them as twin-linked on a wraithlord. And you're right. But there are much better weapons you can fit on a wraithlord.

JETBIKES! I love these guys, and as such everyone I play hates them. They're not the most powerful troop choice, but they're faster than infantry and being troops, they can claim/contest objectives. Adding onto this jetbike theme, is the Shining Spears aspect. I love these guys too, seeing as they're c/c versions of jetbikes. Unfortunately, they count as fast attack, so cannot claim objectives, but are good squad/link breakers, and when used in conjunction with the Hit and Run ability they can kill pretty much anything.

A few personal favourites now, starting neatly with Warp Spiders. Guess what? these guys are annoying for your opponents. Which means I love them. (I'm nice really :twisted: ) They've got a nice set of rules and the exarch can have some ace wargear, but I always reccomend fitting him with powerblades, as the easiest way to deal with these guys if to get in c/c with them, so an extra +2 attacks when assaulting is a pretty good thing to have. Having said this, assaulting anything with Warp Spiders isn't the best idea, but it can be your only option on occasions. I field an Ulthwe army, and as such how could I not include Eldrad Ulthran?

Right, unless you're dead set on getting some, try and stear clear of Dark Reapers. They rock, but there are much better units available for a better ratio of points (usefullness/power:points cost). I just feel that Dark Reapers were loitering outside having a quick smoke when GW came to handing out points costs. However, if you've go lots of points left, or not real limitations, feel free!

The folowing units I think there's a lot of speculation about their usefulness. I could be wrong, but please don't barrage me with loads of posts flaming me. The Avatar. I really like this unit, and i think he's reached standard for a MC with all the uprades he's had since 3rd ed so he is playable, and a really good unit. On a side note and wholly irrelevent unless you play apocalypse, he's awesomely awesome if you field a Phoenix Court of Khaine (range increased to 24" and +1 attack for each Phoenix Lord within 6") However, I have this nagging feeling he's not God standard. He's not as powerful as other gods, and he's not even as powerful as some non-god MCs. I also question the usefulness of fielding a Phoenix Lord. He's basically an uber-exarch. Which takes up an HQ spot. Don't get me wrong, I think they're all really good units. I personally wouldn't use them, unless in the PCoK.

Hope this helped.

All the stars in the sky cannot blot out the hateful glare of the red moon's eye. The birthing place of the Great Enemy pulses with all the malice of a daemon that is dreaming, casting its shadow over all we have ever done and all we ever shall.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:16 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

oh, starting eldar huh, its ok im thinking about ig or orks, and maby just maby dark eldar(oops i said that on an eldar post, sry to the eldar, well not really, im going to have to fight them soon :twisted: )

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him on your
(")_(") signature to help him on his
way to world domination

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:43 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Joe wrote:
First step: Buy a Codex.

Next... you have to decide what you want to field. In my opinion, you will want at least 1 Fire Prism. You may also want a Wave Serpent and a full squad of Dire Avengers, and a Farseer with Doom to accompany them. Rangers are always a welcome addition, especially if you upgrade them to pathfinders.

Then your Aspects... I would probably say 6 Fire Dragons in a Falcon are absolutely devastating. More of less you will end up with 8 str 8 shots... 6 of which are melta. Although I usually don't use these guys for Tank Hunters.... I usually use either Swooping Hawks... or a Squad of Storm Guardians with 2 Fusion Blasters and a Warlock with Enhance. I also love fielding Vibrocannons. In a 3 weapon battery, they are incredible.

Hope this helps a little.

Can i get these in a box set?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:59 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Location: I sleep on the MWG floor, curled up with my mini's.
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
The Box set gets you 10 guardians with a weapon platform, a Warwalker (which alone is pretty useless in my opinion, but with 3 are awesome), a Wave Serpent and 5 Dire Avengers.

I would say if you got two of these... then maybe a Warwalker you are doing fairly well. You may want to buy another set of Dire Avengers if you did that... that would mean you had two 10 man Dire Avenger squads in Wave Serpents. Then you would want at least 1 Farseer to go with them.

Fire Dragons come in a box of 6 I think... and then a Falcon to carry them.

Overall I think other armies get better boxed sets, but if you pile up a couple of the Eldar ones, they are awesome.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

And that is why Kharn was cut from the original cast of Puttin' on the Ritz.

Eldar - 8000-ish
Space Marine - 1500+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:00 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Thanks alot joe. :mrgreen: