terms and abbreviations for newbies

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Locked
User avatar
Rangrok1k
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Posts: 2507
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: terms and abbreviations for newbies

Post by Rangrok1k » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:03 pm

WWB probably is either meant to be WBB for the Necron "We'll Be Back!" or WWP for the Dark Eldar "Webway Portal"
Clearly, I'm a mere walking corpse, shambling through walls of text.

Inactive? Maybe...

User avatar
respect92
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Posts: 498
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:08 am
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries
Location: You really wanna know?

Re: terms and abbreviations for newbies

Post by respect92 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:21 pm

SoB=Sisters of Battle

Hope we going to see more of this after their new release :mrgreen:
Please nerf damage of GW-prized minis.
Best regards the Wallet

destuctir
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1413
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 10:09 am
Location: not sure. possibly one of the moons craters

Re: terms and abbreviations for newbies

Post by destuctir » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:09 pm

waaagh! = an ork players army
RP = reanimation protical
EL = ever living
ES = entropic strike
LM = living metal
NL = necorn lord
NOL = necron overlord
DL = destroyer lord
RC = royal court
scythe = warscythe
sword and board = a lychguard armed with a hyperphase sword and a dispersion shield
CCB = catacomb command barge
tarzan = trazyn the infinite
VoD = veil of darkness
RO = resurrection orb

thats all i know

User avatar
Gorganoth
MiniWarGaming Regular
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark, Northen Europe

Re: terms and abbreviations for newbies

Post by Gorganoth » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:36 am

I know this isn't specifically a 40k term but what does WIP mean?
Let's eat grandpa!
Let's eat, grandpa!
Commas save lives.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him on your
(")_(") signature to help him on his
way to world domination

User avatar
Catatonic
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:52 am

Re: terms and abbreviations for newbies

Post by Catatonic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:41 am

WIP = Work In Progress

User avatar
Gorganoth
MiniWarGaming Regular
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark, Northen Europe

Re: terms and abbreviations for newbies

Post by Gorganoth » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:07 pm

ah, ok thanks.
Let's eat grandpa!
Let's eat, grandpa!
Commas save lives.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him on your
(")_(") signature to help him on his
way to world domination

reps0l
Now we're getting somewhere...
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: terms and abbreviations for newbies

Post by reps0l » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:50 pm

Can anyone explain what the meaning of having a 4++ or 5++ save? Mainly what does the second + bring to the table. I'm guessing it has something to do with armor and an invul save...

User avatar
Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Posts: 7740
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 am
Location: Wollongong, Australia

Re: terms and abbreviations for newbies

Post by Zero » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:17 am

reps0l wrote:Can anyone explain what the meaning of having a 4++ or 5++ save? Mainly what does the second + bring to the table. I'm guessing it has something to do with armor and an invul save...
When a save has "++" after it, it means it's an invulnerable save. If it only has a single "+" then it's usually an armour save, but possibly cover.

So, for example, a Terminator has a 2+/5++ save.
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

reps0l
Now we're getting somewhere...
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: terms and abbreviations for newbies

Post by reps0l » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Zero wrote:
reps0l wrote:Can anyone explain what the meaning of having a 4++ or 5++ save? Mainly what does the second + bring to the table. I'm guessing it has something to do with armor and an invul save...
When a save has "++" after it, it means it's an invulnerable save. If it only has a single "+" then it's usually an armour save, but possibly cover.

So, for example, a Terminator has a 2+/5++ save.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

User avatar
Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Posts: 7740
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 am
Location: Wollongong, Australia

Re: terms and abbreviations for newbies

Post by Zero » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:15 pm

reps0l wrote:
Zero wrote:
reps0l wrote:Can anyone explain what the meaning of having a 4++ or 5++ save? Mainly what does the second + bring to the table. I'm guessing it has something to do with armor and an invul save...
When a save has "++" after it, it means it's an invulnerable save. If it only has a single "+" then it's usually an armour save, but possibly cover.

So, for example, a Terminator has a 2+/5++ save.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks!
No problem.
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

GusMortis
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Prince Albert, SK

Re: terms and abbreviations for newbies

Post by GusMortis » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:23 pm

Cheese=stuff that kills lots and never dies
Broken=roughly the same as cheese
:mrgreen:
it just means stuff is way to over powered for it's points
ex:Mephiston and Eldrad
Eldar 6000
Dark Eldar 1450 pts
Want Orks or Salamanders

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Re: terms and abbreviations for newbies

Post by MFletch » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:14 am

GusMortis wrote:Cheese=stuff that kills lots and never dies
Broken=roughly the same as cheese
:mrgreen:
it just means stuff is way to over powered for it's points
ex:Mephiston and Eldrad
Not really good descriptions, IMHO

Mephiston is probably about the right number of points, he has no inv. save for example.
Eldrad is very powerful but in the context of his codex he is fairly well balanced.

How about the following:
Broken: Rules in a codex that make the rulebook creak. Things that break any sense of balance in the game.
E.g.
So force weapons can only instant kill with one wound, this limits damage whilst giving a good bonus. Then grey knights are allowed all their wounds to be instant kills.
Scoring units can not be vehicles which gives a whole dimension of choosing transports for scoring units vs. kill points and means all scoring units are killable by most things. Then Grey Knights can bring scoring vehicles.
Then we have deep strike which gives the dimension of whether you will be static or moving or deploy once but near the enemy. Then Grey Knights have warp quake which makes deep striking pointless.

Cheese:Abusing codices to get every last bit from them.
E.g.
Bringing virtually every available single psiback in the Grey Knight codex.

User avatar
Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Posts: 7740
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 am
Location: Wollongong, Australia

Re: terms and abbreviations for newbies

Post by Zero » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:37 pm

MFletch wrote:Not really good descriptions, IMHO

Mephiston is probably about the right number of points, he has no inv. save for example.
Eldrad is very powerful but in the context of his codex he is fairly well balanced.

How about the following:
Broken: Rules in a codex that make the rulebook creak. Things that break any sense of balance in the game.
E.g.
So force weapons can only instant kill with one wound, this limits damage whilst giving a good bonus. Then grey knights are allowed all their wounds to be instant kills.
Scoring units can not be vehicles which gives a whole dimension of choosing transports for scoring units vs. kill points and means all scoring units are killable by most things. Then Grey Knights can bring scoring vehicles.
Then we have deep strike which gives the dimension of whether you will be static or moving or deploy once but near the enemy. Then Grey Knights have warp quake which makes deep striking pointless.

Cheese:Abusing codices to get every last bit from them.
E.g.
Bringing virtually every available single psiback in the Grey Knight codex.
This is a much better description than
GusMortis wrote:Cheese=stuff that kills lots and never dies
Broken=roughly the same as cheese
:mrgreen:
it just means stuff is way to over powered for it's points
ex:Mephiston and Eldrad
this.

Also, Eldrad is not cheese. That's pretty much one of the worst examples you could have used. He's powerful, but he's expensive and he's a support character.
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

User avatar
TheRuggernaut
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:24 am
Location: VA, USA

Re: terms and abbreviations for newbies

Post by TheRuggernaut » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:50 am

Zero wrote:
MFletch wrote:Not really good descriptions, IMHO

Mephiston is probably about the right number of points, he has no inv. save for example.
Eldrad is very powerful but in the context of his codex he is fairly well balanced.

Also, Eldrad is not cheese. That's pretty much one of the worst examples you could have used. He's powerful, but he's expensive and he's a support character.
Yeah basically. The king Eldar's not really used to kill things as he's quite squishy (only invul no regular armor) and is truly a support char... just negate the psychic powers when you can and bring a high str unit to play and you'll squish Eldrad and his entourage (except wraithguard maybe). Yriel is somewhat more likely to score pts when in an appropriate group -- need to pair eldar leaders with troops/elite in order to survive. From what I've seen, at least.

Guess I should stay on-topic, maybe overstepping authority here but it seems right...
(Eldar specific)

Dragons: Fire Dragons
Bans: Howling Banshees
Stormies: storm guardians
Prism: Fire Prism
DA: Dire Avengers
SS/Scorps: striking scorpions
Holos: holofields
Stones: spirit stones

More.....
Eldar Altansar: ~11,900 pts *1/3 painted/assembled.
Ariadna United: ~300 pts *1/3 painted.

"Love and war. What else is there? Love is the more dangerous of the two. I wear the other face." Red Branch, Morgan Llewelyn.

User avatar
cj rex
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1043
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:57 am

Re: terms and abbreviations for newbies

Post by cj rex » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:44 pm

still have no clue what PDF means anyone know?
So you mean to tell me you don't fear the things that go bump in the night? While you're in the woods? Foolish.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests