It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vassal 40k
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:57 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!
how big is the download? afraid i wont have enuf room

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:44 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

I think it's less than 100mb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:54 pm 

thats easy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:29 pm 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Alright, I decided to write a bit of a guide here to tell people how to work the module for the first time. After you downloaded and installed the main vassal engine, you'll need to download and extract the 40k module for the engine. Just extracting it to a certain directory isn't enough though, and you need to link the two together. I'm fairly certain there is an installation guide included in the download so I don't need to go on about that much longer.

After its all downloaded and installed though, the first screen will be asking if you want to start offline, or immediately go online or something. I'm not entirely familiar with the starting because its been a while, but you can do either. If you do go online, you'l be connected to the server and will find yourself seated in the main lobby (after picking a screen name and such). Please note that if you quit, and launch it again i don't think it'll automatically connect you to the lobby. What you have to do is activate the server controls, which is the button with one arrow going left on tp of another arrow going right, which you'll probably find in the top left. Once its open, a menu should appear on the right side of the window, and you should clck the button that looks the exact same which will connect you to the server and plop you down in the lobby again.

From the lobby you can either ask people to help you out, or make your own room and explore on your own. In the server controls menu thing, you'll see a text box near the top of it with the words "New Game" right next to it. Simply type the name of the game you want, probably something advertising what you want, such as "Please teach me!" and hit enter. Not long after, your room will be created, with you inside it.

From here, you can proceed exactly as if you were offline. While in your room (you can't do this in the lobby.) go to file, in the top left of the main screen, go to 'start new game', 'boards', '6x4', and pick whatever tileset bottom you want. This really only affects the default color of the ground. Once you do so however, you will be prompted to 'pick a side'. Choose whatever player you want to be (the host of the game usually picks 1, while the second player takes 2, and he rest generally observe). Once you've picked your side, you'll have your own game in your room.

A bunch of buttons along the top row should have lit up once you started the game. From left to right, you can retire your seat in the game, view the board from top down, check player 1 or 2's 'reserve table', where you can store models and stuff while they're not on the playing table. Sort through the model list, roll varying amounts of dice for different purposes and such. There's also a turn counter, which i usually use embedded into the window instead of floating, and then lastly, there is the army list.

Let's start where you would start in a game. Army lists. You don't have to be worried about oher players knowing the composition of your army, and then altering theirs to better counter it, because of the 'delayed' mechanic. When you first open the army lists window, you'll see the scenario note. Usually empty, its nice to store special information there pertaining to the entire battle, or campaign or something. Public is less pertinent to the game and is usually never used. Same with the private thing, but I suspect what you write in there cannot be seen by anyone other than you. LAstly, there is the 'delayed' window. Click new, write a name (usually your screen name, and the number of points) and then type the list into the window beneath it. It's easier to write your list up in something like notepad and then just copy/paste it into that window. Click okay. The text window will close and will appear in the list. If you click on the item you made, you'l be able to view the text, but don't be concerned, because your enemy won't be able to see it yet. They'll have a nice little greyed out box saying "This message has not been revealed yet". Click save, or it won't actually save the message. You could reveal it, but its better to just save it and wait for your enemy to post their message first. When you're ready to reveal it, open the army list thing again, go to delayed, highlight the message you wish to reveal, and click the reveal button. Make sure you save it again.

With your lists made and revealed, its time to make your armies. Decide with your opponent which player table you'll be using, either 1 or 2, then open it. Then, open the model list by clicking on the acivator thing like you did with the server controls. You'll see a window open on the left side of the main screen. You can move the player table window around as oyu want if you can't see enough. The first selector thing is the army, which basically just seperates all the models based on which codex they come from. Next, is a color scheme selector. Not all armies have all the models for every color scheme though, and not all the second ones are the color selector (some do other things) The third one is normally the FoC sector though, which you can go through to pick from HQ, Elites, etc. You might have to shift the bar between the model, and the list of models to see the list and pick the right one. Click and drag the model onto your player table.

With the model on your table, there are a couple of things you can do to it. When you right click on the model on your table, you'll see an overwhelming list pop up. If you drag selected a bunch of models on your table, anything you say to happen, happens to all of them. You can change the color of its base, which is wonderful for denoting separate squads. This option is normally near the bottom, and goes by he name of "toggle slottabase". The shortcut for this is ctrl b. theres a bunch of different colors.
Certain models, which is normally those which have options, can change their weapons. Normally located just under halfway, some options can only be activated through the right click menu, while others have hotkeys. Depends on the model.
Another cool thing is being able to clone stuff. Good for making lots of rank and file stuff, or duplicating squads. The hotkey for this is ctrl c
The rest of the options don't usually have much effect in army composition.
I only recommend building a single squad, or just taking a handful of models to fool around with at first.
Now, onto he fighting, shall we?
If you have an opponent with you, this will be easier, but you can manage by yourself. I don't recommend bothering with terrain by yourself, and having your opponent tell you more about terrain. I'll mention it again later probably.

Back on the main menu, you'll see another button called 'dice'. Click it, and it'll open into another menu. At the bottom of this, is he mission and deployment dice. They can randomly generate your mission and deployment if you and your opponent don't really want to.
After you've decided the mision/deployment, you might have to decide on the number of objectives (sieze ground). you can roll a d6, or a d3, whichever you prefer. Generally roll a d6 again to see who gets to choose to deploy first. the shortcut for a d6 is f1.

And I have to go. I'll be back to edit this later.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:51 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

I am looking for an 1850 game. PM me if interested.

Black Templars: 5000
W-T-L: 32-8-9
Lizardmen 3500
W-T-L: 11-0-3
Necrons: 3000
W-T-L: 10-3-6
"We play by Texas Warhammer 40K rules. The only rule is to know the rules."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:25 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

anyone know how to turn your turret on your tank but keep the tank facing the original direction, or is it like you glued the turret on and have to turn the ENTIRE tank to shoot?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:14 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

I haven't found any way to rotate the turrets. Generally, we (my opponents and I) measure from the generally area around the turret.

Black Templars: 5000
W-T-L: 32-8-9
Lizardmen 3500
W-T-L: 11-0-3
Necrons: 3000
W-T-L: 10-3-6
"We play by Texas Warhammer 40K rules. The only rule is to know the rules."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:20 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

that make sense. And as cool as StuGs are, i do not want my russes exposing their rear to the enemy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:05 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Um I am downloading Vassal 40K 5.4.rar is this correct? and is there anything else I would need to get for this?

I am trying to get better at playing and figured this would be a nice way to get in a game with out driving an hour one way. Also does it cost anything to run?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:43 pm 
Silver Vault Member

vassal 40k 5.4D is the latest

Elves (lotrs): 2000
More lotrs: >10k

High Elves: 2000

Retribution: ~100

Attack of the Elves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:32 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Looking for game right now, maybe 1.5k to 2k

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:27 pm 

Vassal has been taken down...does anybody know where I can still download it?

Edit: I mean the module has been taken down. Not Vassal

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:41 pm 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

vassal40k.info

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:54 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

The site was down most of the weekend, but it's back now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:35 am 
First post! Good job, now post more...

So does anyone still use this? I'm still in the learning stages and I was hoping this could help with the process :D . I already have it downloaded and everything and I have a pretty good idea of how it all works.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next