40 K movement trays

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
hislittlecuzin
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

40 K movement trays

Post by hislittlecuzin » Thu May 03, 2018 11:28 am

With the removal of blast templates, there's no real need for large spacing anymore in 40K. Have any of you considered movement trays for your 40K armies?

As a veteran of a 2k point infantry heavy army (200~ individual infantry) I've felt the effect of lazy playing where I'd refuse to move some turns with such a vast array of moving models. I'm definitely inclined to use movement trays. However I'm curious if other players feel the same without armies extending beyond the 30~50 model army size.

Many mini war gamers like warmachines/hordes & x wing for the small army sizes. I played a warmachine game with 12~ models for quite some time. It doesn't rival the time frames of 6 hour 3k point games but is much more convenient.

It would be an interesting trend to see 40k and fantasy swap their play-styles with 40K clumping together and fantasy breaking apart.

Anyone here like the idea of grouping armies together like this? Even for small games? It's almost like fielding armies of vehicles or giving every squad a transport.
Guardsmen are like ants. No matter how many get vaporized, they just keep on coming. Why can't pancakes be the same? I would pass the salt, but I just got tabled.

Bojazz

Re: 40 K movement trays

Post by Bojazz » Thu May 03, 2018 11:58 am

While it's true that blast templates are no longer a threat, spreading your infantry is still VERY important for a few reasons.

- denial for deep strikers. Preventing your opponent from deploying behind your lines, or even onto midfield objectives now that they have to wait for turn 2 has a high strategic value and can often be one of the deciding factors of a game.

- board control. The more of the table you can deny your opponent access to the better off you'll be. Taking over entire sections to force your opponent into firing lanes, keeping advancing units away from objectives, etc.

- bubble wrap. Conga-lining your units out across large distances or encircling valuable heavy hitters is extremely important, especially when facing a lot of close combat. Forcing your opponent to charge a fodder unit makes them waste their firepower so you can murder them afterwards is a staple of 8th edition tactics. Having ever-morphing front lines means having ever morphing bubble wrap.

Aside from the above reasons, movement trays just aren't useful because of the nature of 40k terrain. Units are meant to (and indeed should) move through terrain. Most terrain doesn't lend itself to movement trays, like ruins, walls, buildings, rocky outcrops, etc. I play a 2k eldar guardian list with about 100 infantry and I usually have to "funnel" them through the table. The reason fantasy used movement trays was because the battlefields were mostly bare and units were regimented into blocks. 40k just isn't compatible with movement trays unless you're just playing kill points on a mostly bare battlefield and you want to simplify the game for speed's sake.
Last edited by Bojazz on Fri May 04, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Tazok
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Tazok » Thu May 03, 2018 6:50 pm

Personally I would use movement trays whit army having a lot of infantry. In my case it would be my heretic guard. Sure you have to get them out of the tray to go trough terrains, but not every game have a table full of terrains and it will save time for movement on flat surface.

coldsteel

Post by coldsteel » Fri May 04, 2018 10:41 am

Tazok wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 6:50 pm
Personally I would use movement trays whit army having a lot of infantry. In my case it would be my heretic guard. Sure you have to get them out of the tray to go trough terrains, but not every game have a table full of terrains and it will save time for movement on flat surface.
well, nice for convenience but not a good idea, per Bojazz above.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Fri May 04, 2018 11:00 am

I have a hard time keeping track of my squads distances, and so have to move my guardsmen individually. I tried using trays once and got called out on my positioning, a couple guardsmen moved beyond their movement, and then I lost track of exactly where they were. I used to advocate for them in rushed play, but now I see how tricky they can be. It sucks, because large scale units like gaunts and boyz needs a way to move them effectively and time efficiently. I tend to move my front 5 as a line, and then everyone "Dress right dresses" off of those 5. Military Term, in drill ceremonies you "dress" off the person to the right, ensuring that you are exactly in line with them, so you keep in formation.

But terrain gets in the way. I try to move just under the max, that way my front guys have fudge room.

hislittlecuzin

Post by hislittlecuzin » Tue May 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Thanks for the input! I wanted to wait a while to see what everyone's thoughts would be.
For strategy it does make sense to space out. iirc-there's no deep strike scatter. It's 9 inches+ away from non-friendly models & base to base contact.

I was wondering if people would think it to be a new convenience method that could basically flip fantasy and 40k.
A few people here are liking the ideas of it & in 6th edition some people were saying how they like vehicles more because infantry are tedious to move when you have so many.

It can be mistaken if you accidentally move in excess like mrazek22 suggested. People I've played with mostly are lenient about "Yeah it's about the right move." However I have played with one person that made me roll for difficult terrain on a building's base... However when I see Miniwargamer Dave play, he measures for the 1 lead guy & moves everyone else kinda close & Miniwargamer Matt moves the back guys to the front like a leapfrog maneuver for convenience. Both sometimes move units further than allowed though if you had a really stingy opponent you could move how they did in Fantasy by like turning around 1 corner and stuff.

Terrain is a bit tricky so most Citadel terrain won't be so viable. I guess it's a case by case on how you feel about taking guys out of the tray.

In 1 tournament I've seen one guy use plastic guys on a sprue as Nurgle Typhus Zombies. He just used a die to count how many were left & had the thing hanging over balancing on skinny terrain. I guess they weren't going to stop him from entering the tournament after he paid.
Guardsmen are like ants. No matter how many get vaporized, they just keep on coming. Why can't pancakes be the same? I would pass the salt, but I just got tabled.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Tue May 08, 2018 1:51 pm

My armies are too fluid for movement trays. I change how tight or spread out my units should be depending on the situation. The only place I can imagine this being an issue is for tournaments where time limit is imposed, but I think it's a good mechanic to build an army that can play faster to balance out the firepower of hordes. We haven't done tournaments, but being on a time crunch because of life has encouraged some of us to run more tank/MC heavy lists. Last game I played was tank vs tank and we finished by the time the other table doing mostly infantry were on the start of turn 2.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Tue May 08, 2018 2:09 pm

I've seen movement trays being used for orks (the boyz anyway) in tournaments and such. I can certainly see them being used, and would like some myself, later. For casual games it's probably not too bad, but already, between my son's necrons and my orks, we take a LONG time to set up.

Anyway, there's pros and cons as already mentioned, but yeah for some units I think they're useful. I certainly don't see the whole game moving that direction.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Signet-Powers

Post by Signet-Powers » Tue May 08, 2018 2:27 pm

Tactically it's better to move them by hand as you can position them more. Takes up a lot of time though, especially if your models are delicate.

I did a little google image search and I actually kinda like the idea someone had of using sheets of cardboard as temporary trays:

That way, you can quickly move them about as well as having the option to move them on and off the tray if you need to get them in terrain.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Tue May 08, 2018 3:57 pm

Problem with that formation is if you really care about the ranges, only the front 5 guys would be able to shoot. I tend to deploy my guys in straight lines so that every model can shoot at the same target lol.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Tue May 08, 2018 4:02 pm

Signet-Powers wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:27 pm
Tactically it's better to move them by hand as you can position them more. Takes up a lot of time though, especially if your models are delicate.

I did a little google image search and I actually kinda like the idea someone had of using sheets of cardboard as temporary trays:

(img snipped)

That way, you can quickly move them about as well as having the option to move them on and off the tray if you need to get them in terrain.
A similar concept, using metal sheets and magnets work well, too. Not sure if it's been mentioned here, yet.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

hislittlecuzin

Post by hislittlecuzin » Tue May 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Ronin wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:51 pm
run more tank/MC heavy lists. Last game I played was tank vs tank
Guildenstern wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:09 pm
Anyway, there's pros and cons as already mentioned, but yeah for some units I think they're useful. I certainly don't see the whole game moving that direction.
One of the reasons I think this might be a more interesting thing to do. I was curious if I was the only one considering moving in that direction or if it would be an unexpected wave.
Ronin wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:57 pm
Problem with that formation is if you really care about the ranges, only the front 5 guys would be able to shoot. I tend to deploy my guys in straight lines so that every model can shoot at the same target lol.
If they're tightly packed in a movement tray then they'd be close to their target & would be more convenient to get everyone up the board.
Signet-Powers wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:27 pm
Someone told me about how you can buy laser cut trays. Here's the first result from google I got:
[+] Expand
https://tectoniccraftstudios.com/collec ... ment-trays
Koonitz wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:02 pm

A similar concept, using metal sheets and magnets work well, too. Not sure if it's been mentioned here, yet.
They weren't but iirc the guy that did the 24 hour eldar painting livestream had gotten a case with these. Quirk maybe? Some Los Angeles gaming convention I think.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed May 09, 2018 5:41 pm

Should mention, litko makes some good little movement trays, and isn't too bad price wise.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)