New Edition fear

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

New Edition fear

Post by mrazek22 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:23 am

So, with the mapped out time line of GW edition releases, they are down to roughly 1 every 2-3 years. 6th was 2, 7th was 3, and 8th has already been out for about a year. Given their money-making timeline, I am worried that buying new armies might be crushed in the edition wave. I spent over $300 on my GK army back in August 2015, under the knowledge that "Grey Knights will always be effective, GW loves them". 1 year later they are used to hold down the pages of my Guard codex.

Given that GW hasn't even released a codex for two major race/factions, and there are still "codexes in the works" does anyone see 8th rolling into 9th in the next year or two? It blows my mind Deathwatch gets a codex before Orks.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: New Edition fear

Post by Ronin » Wed May 02, 2018 10:39 am

For some reason, I think this edition will have a longer shelf life and that's because it wasn't a tweak of the previous edition, but a completely new overhaul. The living rule system should help increase that longevity.

Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Jeffers » Wed May 02, 2018 4:14 pm

Im the same considering the pull power its having with ex players flocking back. With faq's and chapter approves i see it fresh for a very long time

Mach-Ten
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Mach-Ten » Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 am

they are pulling in more new and/or returning players far faster than they are losing players from the last 2 editions..

net win.

I personally think we'll see a similar model to the Windows 10 approach now ... Chapter approved is your yearly rules update .. and I would not be surprised to see a "consolidated rules" book released about the same time you'd expect 9th edition to go.

Bringing CA, FAQ and BRB all under one roof for $60

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:17 am

Mach-Ten wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 am
they are pulling in more new and/or returning players far faster than they are losing players from the last 2 editions..

net win.

I personally think we'll see a similar model to the Windows 10 approach now ... Chapter approved is your yearly rules update .. and I would not be surprised to see a "consolidated rules" book released about the same time you'd expect 9th edition to go.

Bringing CA, FAQ and BRB all under one roof for $60
Yeah that’s the way I see it going too.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:16 pm

So, new players vs. old players. Would you say it's literally "new" players, or are we seeing a completely new demo of players? Because a small majority of people I talk with on the state of the hobby is that no one is attending events anymore. It's mostly just small 1k games at local hobby stores. Worse, no one knows the lore. Everyone knows the new ANGRYMAX900k Ultra Dreadnaught is got baddass stats, but no very few know the lore. Does the lack of back ground awareness bug anyone?

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:31 pm

mrazek22 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:16 pm
So, new players vs. old players. Would you say it's literally "new" players, or are we seeing a completely new demo of players? Because a small majority of people I talk with on the state of the hobby is that no one is attending events anymore. It's mostly just small 1k games at local hobby stores. Worse, no one knows the lore. Everyone knows the new ANGRYMAX900k Ultra Dreadnaught is got baddass stats, but no very few know the lore. Does the lack of back ground awareness bug anyone?
8th brought back a lot of the tournament/competitive minded individuals whom were driven away during 6th-7th. Those people primarily care about the numbers and effectiveness. You can see it pretty much anywhere, but mostly when you peruse sites like SpikeyBitz (admittedly, I haven't viewed their content in a while, so they may have changed) or, worse, Bell of Lost Souls (a cesspool of lore-ignoring power-gamers). Lots of YouTube content creators, as well, tend to focus on the tournament side of it, with reviews rife with focus on the rules, and things like "This is powerful", "Oh, that is powerful", "Oh, this is going to be the go-to", "this will be in every list", or worse "Eh, that's kinda weak", "I wouldn't bother with this". Comments like that.

It also stands to reason that people like the things that go pew pew bestest, and like to talk about them.

With a hyper-focus on matched play and tournament play (ie: the matched play rules that are only recommended for tournaments, but are largely adopted as standard), it stands to reason, that's the focus with random chatter.

Anecdotally, it's not so bad in my local FLGS, but I've more than once rebuffed people that have tried to tell me the best things to take, or how I should build my lists. I've been playing WarHammer games for 18 years now. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing.

Oddly enough, it's this super-competitive general atmosphere of the wider 40k community that has finally convinced me to 100% swear off competitive/tournament play.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:27 am

Casual and narrative games are fine where I'm doing. We literally just had 2 apocalypse games this weekend and they were glorious. Last one was on a 12x6 table at my place with 5v5. Even had ultramarines themed margaritas to go with the game courtesy of my waifu.

Mecha82
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mecha82 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:13 am

mrazek22 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:16 pm
Thing is that with GW no longer being only company involved with this hobby there are options and not everyone wants to play GW systems. For example plenty of people that once played WHFB are now playing either KoW or 9th Age instead of sticking with GW. Besides of that not everyone that are playing 40k are into competitive tournament scene either and some areas have more of them. While I enjoy lore side of things I understand that not everyone cares about that. Some people just enjoy other aspects of hobby over lore.
Warhammer 40k:
Blood Angels
Dark Angels

Somethings never change.

It was already broken when I got here.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:50 pm

KoW and 9th Age is pretty non-existent in our area. Once AoS started getting its bearings, people shifted back to it.

Mach-Ten
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Mach-Ten » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:48 am

Ronin wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:50 pm
KoW and 9th Age is pretty non-existent in our area. Once AoS started getting its bearings, people shifted back to it.
Yeah, my FLGS that was predominantly MTG and GoT based .. suddenyl has painting AoS evenings and games nights ...

Tried to get them to 40K like proper men but it just didn't take ... the poor fools.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:19 am

To reiterate my point that reviewers only care about talking about the rules, which tends to just cause people to believe it's the only thing that matters:

viewtopic.php?f=174&t=126123

This review, posted on this very forum, only ever mentions rules. Never mentions anything else in the codex. Lore, art, showcase, nothing. And you wonder why the rules seem to be the only thing that matters to many.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:23 am

Some reviewers do go through the art and lore, but yeah for the most part it's all crunch. (I do love how Warzone40k never posts back. I'm pretty sure he just mass drops the review on multiple sites).

Mecha82
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mecha82 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:42 am

Well I have seen Warzone40k post same review to Beasts of War site so you could be right about that.
Warhammer 40k:
Blood Angels
Dark Angels

Somethings never change.

It was already broken when I got here.

Mach-Ten
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mach-Ten » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:56 am

Ronin wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:23 am
Some reviewers do go through the art and lore, but yeah for the most part it's all crunch. (I do love how Warzone40k never posts back. I'm pretty sure he just mass drops the review on multiple sites).
They are a seller of 40K stuff like vinyl mats etc., I get the impression they post "reviews" in order to draw traffic to their site

and the reviews are mostly just superficial mutterings, not really any in depth review that I've seen.