Going back to 7th Edition Deployment?

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: Going back to 7th Edition Deployment?

Post by Signet-Powers » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:09 am

They have to be within 1" of the wall for the bonus, and anyone charging across the wall only has to get within the 2" of the target unit to "fight".

The wall look like this btw (these are my Guard, sorry about pic quality, very sunny day today, can't get a better shot).

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:15 am

Slightly more hi-res!

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:47 am

With the effectiveness of deepstrikes reduced, alternating deployment because much more important. This might just be the old fantasy player in me, but I would never voluntarily go back to deploy everything mode, as it just takes depth out of the game.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:08 am

I honestly don't see the thinking in the FAQ. Not ranting here, but why GW listened to all the players who said blob armies are killing us! And instead turned around and essentially buffed static gunline armies like Tau, Eldar, and Guard. I'm not complaining, with the money I spent on guard I am happy. But they essentially took a broken system and worsened the problem. Now I don't even have to really think out a strategy, I can just camp and hold.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:03 am

One thing to keep in mind is you can mitigate what those armies can do by simply putting down more line of sight blocking terrain and play progressive objectives where the points are turn by turn (tactical objectives) rather than play Eternal War where you just have to bunker up. The latter forces the gunline to actually move out, otherwise they won't be able to take anything. There is one Eternal War mission I like in Chapter Approved which is where the objective in your home is worth 1 point, the ones in the mid line are worth 2, and the one in your opponent's is worth 3. Even If you turtle the whole game and murder your opponent with that mission, there's a chance you'll still lose because you weren't taking ground.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:05 am

My last match of Chaos Marines vs Tau was a really close match due to terrain(and a couple of crucial bad rolls for my opponents' R'nvas with their 14" murder everything flamers), it basically turned the battlefield into a city fight board, but with 2 shooty-ish armies it forced both of us to maneuver quite a bit more than we would have liked. Positioning and moving became quite a big deal which made for an interesting match. This was still with the old deep strike rules though, those murderbots will be way less scary next time I reckon.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.