Grey Knights are you out there?

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Grey Knights are you out there?

Post by mrazek22 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:41 pm

Does anyone still use these guys? I am sure someone does. Did they catch a nerf bat too hard to the face? I honestly never see them in games and wondered if there was a significant reason. Cost, rules, or just plain old worth it vs other factions? What gives? These guys used to be everywhere. Plus until Primaris cam out, they were lore wise the best and the brightest. According to skill and ability I'd say that's still true in most respects.

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Grey Knights are you out there?

Post by Marit Lage » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:12 pm

In my area, all the of the Grey Knight players except for a couple of them played them because they were powerful, not because they liked the faction. As a result. I only see those two guys still playing them.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:31 am

That they've come out with a Codex that is pretty low on the power scale of 8th Edition is probably the biggest reason you don't see them anymore. As Marit Lage said, most people likely played them 'cause they were powerful, not because they liked them.

That and those whom wish to have the "small, elite" army go Custodes. The Grey Knights pretty much lost the most defining trait of their army with the release of the Custodes.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:39 am

I still play mine time to time and a buddy just started some for his casual list, but they really need something to bring their shine back. D3 smite on every unit comes to mind considering they can hardly stand up to most armies especially if it's horde. If the - 1 for every consecutive smite is going to be official, I don't see this really being a problem. Psycannons should also be damage 2. As of now, they're better treated as an auxiliary force.

Driedguide42
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Driedguide42 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:58 pm

My main reason for not picking up the Grey Knights is purely from a narrative stand point due to them being so limited when it comes to making your own stories which is thing I have grown most attached to in this hobby. Even the Custodes have more wriggle room for homebrewing.
Iron Wardens - By the will of the Gorgon
"Make war and move on, and again, and again, until nothing breathes which stands against us. All else is sophistry and pretty lies"
- Ferrus Manus, Primarch of the Xth Legion Iron Hands.

Mecha82
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mecha82 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:26 pm

I have never picked up Grey Knights even when they were good army because they are boring Gary Stus without any room for own narrative. Plus back in 5th ed when they were introduced as army they were used to put down Sisters of Battle by Matt Ward in his bad fluff that he wrote for that 1st Grey Knights Codex. Sure he kinds messed up lot of fluff back then like Blood Angels taking beauty naps and Necron characters speaking and having personalities but what he did with Grey Knight fluff to make them look better with expense of Sisters of Battle still angers me.
Warhammer 40k:
Blood Angels
Dark Angels

Somethings never change.

It was already broken when I got here.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:15 pm

I only started learning the fluff in 7th, and I was blown away by the Grey Knights fluff. It's always been so impressive to me. Compared to the Grey Knights, the Custodes are just flashy idiots. They have no where NEAR the cannon fluff the GK training regimine does.

Marit Lage
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:38 am

Mecha82 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:26 pm
Plus back in 5th ed when they were introduced as army
They've been around a lot longer than fifth edition.
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Mecha82
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mecha82 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:32 am

Marit Lage wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:38 am
Mecha82 wrote:
Maybe I am wrong but wasn't 5th ed when they got they first Codex thus making them playable army rather than part of fluff? Because that's what I meant. After all they might had been part of fluff since Rogue Trader but back then there weren't playable army.
Warhammer 40k:
Blood Angels
Dark Angels

Somethings never change.

It was already broken when I got here.

Marit Lage

Post by Marit Lage » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:50 am

Mecha82 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:32 am
Marit Lage wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:38 am
Mecha82 wrote:
Maybe I am wrong but wasn't 5th ed when they got they first Codex thus making them playable army rather than part of fluff? Because that's what I meant. After all they might had been part of fluff since Rogue Trader but back then there weren't playable army.
They were in the Daemonhunters Codex as a playable force, with metal models.
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:46 pm

Is there any good reason to take them as an attachment force? Like say, backing up a regiment of AM?

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:17 am

Depends on your meta. They're a solid anti-infantry unit with mass storm bolters and you can pop off a stratagem to make them strength 5, AP-1 or if you find yourself surrounded by daemon players and would like to do those 3 mortal wound smites. However, they're a very very niche army that lack a lot tools, cost efficiency, and resilience to be well rounded.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:04 am

I don't understand why GW does things....

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:50 am

To be fair, if balancing 3 races in Starcraft is imperfect, imagine trying to balance the myriad of factions in 40k. At least GW is better at this now with their FAQs and actual tournament meta data.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:36 am

I don't ever take the side that major money earning corporations need our "understanding". It's like saying EA or Ubisoft need support from the fans, they didn't know how hard it was to build a competent game like SW Battlefront 2.