Old Gamer, new to 40k

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
JmOz01
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Old Gamer, new to 40k

Post by JmOz01 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:19 pm

So I decided to get into 40k (as it is the most popular game in my area)...Been a wargamer for 20 years, so not a total newb, but new to 40k

I have coming a full box of Dark Imperium and a second set of the SM from it (Long story short: Only wanted one set but due to e-bay, and impulsiveness...) coming in the mail. Not here till next week.

I am trying to figure out what I will still need (I have Index one, will be getting the SM book), and some of the rules...

First issue

Chapter Stratagems & Chapter Tactics: Are these based on Detachments or on full army comp? i.e. if I had a full detachments of Ultramarines would I be able to use their Stratagems/tactics while having another detachment of IG? I do know that you need to share a keyword for the whole army...

Second, with what I have coming, roughly how many points am I at?

Third and WEIRD: is their a chapter that uses purple with black accents for their colors? preferably with a wolf motif...

Raschier
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: Old Gamer, new to 40k

Post by Raschier » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:07 pm

1) These are based on Detachments, not whole army. So if you got a battalion of Ultramarines and a spearhead of Cadian Imperial Guard, you can use tactics/traits of both armies. But they don't combine, so the Ultramarines can't use the Regimental Trait of the Cadians and vice versa. You can also use both the armies' stratagems, but again you can't use an Ultramarine Stratagem on an IG unit.

2) Around 25 Power Points with the Dark Imperium set.

3) Your Chapter.... You can make your own chapter with those colors and insignia, because there are alot of Chapters in the universe and GW allows you to make your own chapter if you want to. You can choose which Chapter Tactic you think fits best your playstyle or background fluff.

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:10 pm

Having any detachment of space marines gives you access to their stratagems, regardless of which other detachments you have.

Your points will depend on how you kit out your units. I would recommend using a free program called battlescribe. It will automatically calculate your points and power levels as you build your army. Additionally you may want to buy the Chapter Approved book since it has points changes, new missions, rules, and stratagems for a lot of factions. And keep an eye on the official games workshop FAQs for the codices and rulebook. There are already some important changes and clarifications on there, and it will be receiving a major update sometime in April. You can find a link to it on the community faq here on the 40k forums.

To my knowledge, the hawk lords are the only purple space marines, but there are tons of unknown space marine chapters, so you can feel free to create your own colour scheme and name your own chapter, write their lore, etc. You can make them a subchapter of another space marine chapter to use their chapter tactics, etc.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

JmOz01
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by JmOz01 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:53 pm

Thank you for the responses.

If I have calculated correctly, and applying WYSIWYG, I figure I am at about 1600 points.

Not sure how, but thinking I should try to convert a couple of the characters into a Librarian or Appothacary...Not sure how I would go about it....Also have some old old old space marines (2nd Edition?---5 man squad) that I am thinking of doing as a Legion of the Damned unit...

JmOz01
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by JmOz01 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:16 pm

Okay, so a few more questions, this time mostly about the box set itself, and a little about what I believe some call "The Meta" in your areas

1) Does anyone know if there are "options" for the miniatures, such as different versions of the meltaguns on the Hellbringers (remember I am talking about the Dark Imperium versions). Basically wondering if they are the "normal versions" or special sprues for the starter set

2)How easy would it be to mod either one of the LT's or the Captain into a librarian (Saw something interesting online about using a shoulder pad to do it...

3) I really LOVE the minature for the Primus Chaplin (hate the price), thinking I would like to use it for a librarian instead, how understanding would your meta be about that?

4) I also am toying with a small detachment of "other" imperials, out of curiosity, what is the CHEAPEST I could do for a HQ & Core unit with the Imperial keyword (want to use it for my Dammed Legionaries)

Salamand3rs4Lyfe
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Salamand3rs4Lyfe » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:51 pm

You mean the hellblasters? They have three different variations of the plasma guns. Also you might need some greenstuff but the power sword wielding lieutenant or captain should be somewhat easy to convert into a librarian with a force sword
Armies i collect:
11,115pts csm The Privileged
7,268pts Salamanders
1,200pts gsc Sons of Jormangandr

Mecha82
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mecha82 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:13 pm

Ones that come in Dark Imperium boxed set are pretty much default without any upgrades just like all other Easy Build kits. So those Hellblasters pretty much have they basic Plasma Incinerator. How ever multi part plastic kit versions do have some options that those Easy Build kits don't have giving reason to buy those.
Warhammer 40k:
Blood Angels
Dark Angels

Somethings never change.

It was already broken when I got here.

JmOz01
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by JmOz01 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:12 pm

Thank you for the information. That's what I thought, I do appreciate all the help and cannot wait for the box set to arrive.

JmOz01
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by JmOz01 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:30 pm

So I got the miniatures now...

Thinking of doing some light modding:
  • Modding the Sword/Pistol LT into a librarian (adding a couple props and a psi hood)
  • Modeling the Two gun LT into a new captain (Swapping pistol for sword)
  • Maybe changing the ancient into a Apothecary (Mostly get rid of flag and paint job)
  • The extra captain being used for parts...
You guys think that is doable?

As for the background...The Night Wolves (need a better name) are a successor chapter of unknown origin (until I decide on the rules I like). They can be recognized by their Purple armor with a single purple, Yellow (Sgt), or Silver , or Gold Shoulder (Order of rank) Shoulder...They were from the latest batch of chapters, after (Big Ultramarine guy) returned...It is a group made up of only Primaris. The name and coloring is in memory of the lost Shadow Wolves