Just saying hello!

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Scout-atron
Now we're getting somewhere...

Just saying hello!

Post by Scout-atron » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:39 am

Hey all!
New to the forum, warhammer, and wargaming in general.

I decided to pick painting minis back up after 20 years. Started with the figures from our descent and d&d board games, and it took off from there. I recently got the dark imperium box set to get started in 40k. Haven't even played my first game yet, but I'm loving the hobby side of it. Thought I'd say hi and post some pics of my work so far (once I figure out how!). Looking forward to getting into the community.

Cheers,
Scout

Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Just saying hello!

Post by Jeffers » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:48 am

Welcome.

Look forward to seeing your projects that you are working on.

Is there a specific part of the hobby you like. Im for one love the actually assembling part and the kit bashing. Been playing for over 20 years with various armies.

Any army in particular that is grabbing your interest?

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:09 am

Welcome!

If you want to post progress pics then i'd suggest starting up a thread on the WIP forum (work in progress)
viewforum.php?f=26

Feel free to ask any questions related to gaming or painting, there are quite a few knowledgeable people on the forums!
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Scout-atron

Post by Scout-atron » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks for the responses.
I started for the painting. But looking forward to the game itself.

I have the dark imperium box, so primaris and death guard. Going to develop these armies, but t'au and adeptus mechanicus are right up my alley.

Here's the first primaris I've got done (mostly). I'll post progress pics in the wip forum after this.

I think I have the image links right. Let me know if they don't show.

Scout-atron

Post by Scout-atron » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:50 pm

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:39 pm

That's certainly pretty decent for someone just getting into the hobby! I see highlighting, shading, and very little brush strokes. Looks like someone has been watching Duncan's painting videos ;) There's even some scribbling on their seals!

I've just got a couple small bits of advice:
- If you pick up a hobby drill with a small drill bit, you can drill out the barrels of the guns so they look a little more authentic and less like plastic toys. It really adds a bit of authenticity to the model. They usually cost about 10 bucks at a local hobby shop.
- Some Nuln Oil shade on those metal parts on the guns has an amazing effect on the silver and will really help to make them look more 3D.

Assuming you were looking for critiques, of course.
Orks - Power Level 70

Scout-atron

Post by Scout-atron » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:41 pm

Always open to feedback. I was planning on getting the small drill, but I hadn't thought of washing the gun! Thanks.

Man... The edge highlighting was the bane of my existence. I'm sure I'll get it down by the end of the primaris, though.

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:10 pm

Going by the look of it, it seems like your paint wasn't thinned enough while you were edge highlighting. It's got a bit of a chalky appearance like it was drying on your brush before being applied to the model. Try to thin the paint a little more so it very easily flows off the brush, but not so thin that it runs away on the model.

Also, using the side of your brush rather than the tip lets you get VERY smooth, straight lines when you're just catching the lip of something. This technique doesn't work on all areas of the model, but it's incredibly handy for a lot of the outside edges of things.

Honestly, you should be able to pick it up pretty quickly. As you said, by the time you finish your primaris marines you should be pro :)
Orks - Power Level 70

Scout-atron

Post by Scout-atron » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:31 am

Defiantly a fine balance between thin enough to flow well and thin enough to loose control.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:36 pm

Looking good and a lot better than what I did when I started, lol! Wet palettes help a lot for edge highlighting (can be easily made with a sponge, tupperware, and baker's parchment) since it thins paints down enough, but I still use a dry palette to get rid of the excess paint. I try to go for a feathered look with my edge highlights where it's intense towards the middle, but gets lighter as it reaches the sides. The other trick is to keep the highlights as thin as possible especially if it's going to be pretty bright. Here's my intercessors:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B328069

I'd definitely clean up those mistakes with the trims, though. Neatness make armor look great.

Scout-atron

Post by Scout-atron » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:37 pm

For sure.
Your army looks great.

I have decided to make these guys iron hands chapter to work well thematically with the adeptus mechanicus coming out in forgebane.

Posting progress is the wip forum here :

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=125947