Correct size basing

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Orangegroves
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Correct size basing

Post by Orangegroves » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:26 pm

For 40k, I am trying to create a Fluxmaster out of some left over bits I have and want to know if I can put it on an oval base (idk the size, but I think an exauhlted flamer goes on it) vs the 32mm round base. Am I allowed to do this, or will people accuse me modeling for an advantage? What does that even mean exactly?

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Correct size basing

Post by mrazek22 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:27 pm

My store only sells 32mm bases, and 28mm bases. So screw what anyone says, you're going off what GW offers. That being said, As long as you're not measuring move or shoot distances with an over sized base, I don't see an issue. If you have a lone SM on a 54mm base, I can see that being used wrongly.

Orangegroves
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Orangegroves » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:10 pm

mrazek22 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:27 pm
If you have a lone SM on a 54mm base, I can see that being used wrongly.
Thank you! but what is SM?

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:14 pm

Modeling for advantage is a concept of modifying a model from the default GW version in order to gain a tactical advantage. For example, modeling the minuature standing on some rocks that are an inch taller than the normal base size would allow the model to see over some barriers and walls that it would normally not be able to. Using a larger base size would create a larger "footprint" on the table for the purposes of aura psychic powers, denying deep strikers which have to remain 9" away from enemy models, etc etc.

If you absolutely want a larger base for the model, then I would recommend modeling it on the standard 32mm base, and then embedding that base within a larger, removable oval base.

also SM = space marine
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:35 pm

To counter the idea of modeling for advantage being "putting a model on a rock", I would like to show off two of my own models. Both models that have been placed on bases that raise them by a centimeter or two.
[+] Expand
If anyone said I was attempting to model for advantage, then I'd laugh at them.

There is a certain degree of "Rule of Cool" that should be accepted when modeling. If you want to build your warlord, or other centerpiece HQ or large model on a different base, because it allows you to do something super-cool with it, then you should. Want to put your Chaos sorcerer on a 40mm Terminator base because it allows you to model some cool spell effect coming off his hand? Darn tootin', you should. Though have some restraint, because modeling them on a 60mm dreadnought base for actual use on the table will net you some strange looks. At that point, you should look into building a diorama base that can be removed, as Bojazz pointed out.

If you want to model every single one of your Chaos Cultists on 40mm bases, 'cause this makes them less susceptible to blast marker weapons (7th Edition game mechanic), then that's pretty obviously modeling for advantage, NOT Rule of Cool.

In the end, whatever you and your gaming group agree with is acceptable. As such, I'd discuss the matter with them. If you play in a super-competitive, everything is fine-tuned for the latest major tournament event, you may find them saying no, don't do that. It's wrong. Model on original, GW-supplied base, only.

As an example of building models that can slot into larger scenic bases as was mentioned by Bojazz, take a look at this Forge World 'diorama' piece of Magnus VS Leman Russ. Both models can be removed from the diorama base and be used on the tabletop with their original base. This might work for what you have in mind. Also note how both Magnus and Leman Russ are modeled on huge pieces of terrain, even on their original bases.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch