Question regarding Unit Size and Reinforcements

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Orangegroves
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Question regarding Unit Size and Reinforcements

Post by Orangegroves » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:56 pm

I have what I hope are two simple questions:

Matched play rules (points) will be assumed for both. And both units start as a unit if 10 pink horrors.

1) When bringing a unit of ten pink horrors, can I bring an 11th model (assuming I have the points)? Or am I required to bring set amounts ? For example: I can bring 10 or 20 models, but not 11.

2) When the pink horrors split, I understand that I have to have enough reinforcement points to pay for the blue horror, but do I have to have enough points to pay for an entire unit of blue horrors? Or enough points to pay for every pink horror to spilt? Or can I just split into blue horrors based on the number of points I have left. For example: if I have a unit of Pink horrors, do I have to have points for every pink horror in the unit to split (in this case 10x2=20 blue horrors worth of points) or if I only have enough points for 2 pink horrors to split (4 blue horrors), then that’s ok?

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Question regarding Unit Size and Reinforcements

Post by Koonitz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:16 pm

1) You'll want to be aware of a difference between Age of Sigmar and 40k.

In Age of Sigmar, for the longest time, you did have to pay for whole units (ie: Paying for 10, if you brought 1-10, 20 for 11-20, etc). In 40k matched play, that is NOT the case. You buy models on an individual basis, thus you pay for only the models you bring in. Note, however, that units will have a minimum size. For Pink Horrors, if you add them to your army list prior to the game, you must bring at least 10, unless you use the understrength units rule. (edit: To add, I believe Age of Sigmar does have a clause now, allowing you to only pay for individual models by calculating the cost per-model.)

When you summon them, I admit I never considered bringing an understrength unit (ie: successfully summoning 10 Pinks, but only bringing 5 at the cost of 5). I don't see a problem with doing so, however, as there are no restrictions in matched play with doing so. If you want to bring 11, you will need to have a summoning ritual roll high enough to bring 20, however (8, if I recall correctly), but still only have to pay for 11.

2) You only need to have the points available for the models you bring in. If a single Pink splits into 2 blues, but you only have points for 1 blue, you bring 1 blue in. Then, that blue will NOT split into Brimstones, as you do not have the points. You only need to decide to use reinforcement points for splitting if and when they die and split. You can also choose NOT to spend those points, let the Pink die, get no blues (note, you cannot then change your mind later in the game, you must decide only when the Pink dies). If you do not spend the points, you then have more points left for later, if you choose to, say, summon another daemon unit, or split other Pinks/Blues.

I did mention it, but for clarity, you do NOT have to decide what your reinforcement points are spent on UNTIL YOU SPEND THEM! If you bring a unit of Pinks with full intent to split them, but then decide, later in the game, to use the points you put aside to summon a unit of Screamers instead (because something needs some bitin'), you can absolutely do that. Then, whatever points are left over, can be spent on splitting, or summoning another unit, or whatever. That's the benefit of reinforcement points. Not having to decide until you know what you need, when you need it.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Orangegroves
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Orangegroves » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:03 pm

I should of been more clear this was for 40k. Thank you for the explanation!

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:34 pm

Orangegroves wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:03 pm
I should of been more clear this was for 40k. Thank you for the explanation!
Oh, I know it was. I was merely making sure to identify that there IS a difference between the two games and, just in case you were an AoS veteran, that you understood what that difference was.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch