Returning newbie player

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
virakosen
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Returning newbie player

Post by virakosen » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:45 pm

Signet-Powers wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:28 pm
virakosen wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:02 pm
From getting caught up, I think I'll go with Chaos Space Marines or Orks. I'll probably decide which later (I'm looking for a mix shooty/melee army with good vehicles) and ask about my choice in their respective subforum.
Chaos Space Marines have some really nice new models (specifficaly the Death Guard and Thousand Sons) and are pretty decent codexes as I understand. The Orks should be getting a new one soon so it's up in the air how they're gonna turn out.
I'm somewhat familiar with Thousand Sons, but I don't know much about the Death Guard. What are they about and how do they play?
Death Guard (Patrol Detachment in progress)
-Lord of Contagion (Assembled, awaiting primer)
-2 seven man squads of Plague Marines (Assembling)
-1 Myphitic Blight-Hauler (unassembled)

Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Signet-Powers » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:43 pm

virakosen wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:45 pm
Signet-Powers wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:28 pm
virakosen wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:02 pm
From getting caught up, I think I'll go with Chaos Space Marines or Orks. I'll probably decide which later (I'm looking for a mix shooty/melee army with good vehicles) and ask about my choice in their respective subforum.
Chaos Space Marines have some really nice new models (specifficaly the Death Guard and Thousand Sons) and are pretty decent codexes as I understand. The Orks should be getting a new one soon so it's up in the air how they're gonna turn out.
I'm somewhat familiar with Thousand Sons, but I don't know much about the Death Guard. What are they about and how do they play?

Most of their units have a rule called "disgusting resiliancy" were they ignore wounds on a 5+, making them quite hard to kill with T5 plague marines. They can give out a lot of debufs and I believe ignore heavy weapon penalties soemwhat.

Drawbacks are they're quite slow, lacking in range and for a lot of normal chaos units (like bikers) are only in the Chaos marine codex so you'd need that as well.

lsom
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by lsom » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:42 am

What resources can you recommend for new players?

Nexus_Crawler
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:46 am

lsom wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:42 am
What do you mean? As in what resources can you use to learn the game? Terrain? Painting?
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:56 am

lsom wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:42 am
This thread was three months old. Please be mindful of the forum rules on thread necromancy (which restricts based on age, to 3 weeks). The forum rules may be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117351

You are recommended to make a new thread, instead of posting on existing ones.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch