New Series of Threads - TTPs

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

New Series of Threads - TTPs

Post by mrazek22 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:39 pm

Tips, Tactics, and Proceedures!

Guys, I am hoping to start a new series of threads in the near future, and I was hoping you would provide some help!

Guides and helpful hints on how to best prepare your army against other races. Got a mostly Tank heavy AM army list, and your opponent this weekend is a Chaos Daemons player? We can help! Got a new Custodes list and you're going up against Plague Marines? We got the TTPs to help keep those pesky pestilential punks down and out. Not that you'll need help with Custodes, but you get the idea.

What I am hoping is that each week we can put together some helpful tips we've picked up, into Sticky Threads, for Race v Race battles. A Summary page if you will, for AM vs. SM, or what have you.

Right now, I am trying to prep my army list for a upcoming CSM battle, and it's surprisingly hard to find hints on the web, or what to prepare for. If anyone is interested in helping, please let me know, otherwise, I'll just GFM.

Thanks!

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: New Series of Threads - TTPs

Post by Ronin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:56 am

I'm disappointed you didn't use this opportunity to call this thread, "The Codex Astartes". ;) Also going to move this to General since it seems to be a threat suitable for broad 40k tips and not just Imperium.

From what I've experienced in my games (which are mostly against casual or against fluffy lists using the vanilla book rules):

- The roll off for placing objectives is probably one of the most important one and you almost always want to place it down second. This dictates the deployment style which could be advantageous based on what army you're going for. Got a gunline, roll Vanguard or Hammer and Anvil. Want to get in close, pick spearhead where no man's land is only 18" away.
- Expanding on that, if your opponent is a gunline, you want to pick the deployment side that puts more line of sight blocking terrain on his side. Sure he'll have more to hide behind, but those big blocks are also major blind spots you can use to your advantage to sneak up and get in close.
- Please bring line of sight blocking terrain... There should be no spot on the table where anyone can see the entire board.
- When it comes to going with Eternal War or Maelstrom of War, I prefer the latter this edition. Turn by turn objectives and how they spawn randomly means that it's encouraged to have more board control rather than turtle and wait out a siege. I like it because it usually sticks it to gunline armies and forces folks to bring a more balanced list that has aspects of home control, mid field, and long range harassment. You can still build a gunline list, but you have to have some units dedicated to long ranged assaults like flyers, deep strikers, etc.
- It's pretty spammy, but sticking to one army type is usually more efficient than mixing and matching tanks and infantry. You can focus on targets that are dedicated towards hurting your army while relatively ignoring others.
- If you divide your forces into waves of units (Home, midfield, long range), attach a unit next to them for aura buffs. In my spartan phalanx, I have a captain attached to each layer for redundancy and to ensure everyone gets some form of reroll.
- Don't be hasty with your reserves. If you feel you're in a good spot, you can hold your reserves to psych out your opponent and make them turtle up to await the enemy coming down. This is recommended more for when you have less deep strikers than a big chunk.
- As best as you can, your entire army should have line of sight on the same target. This allows for redundancy in your attacks in case some units whiff and others can pick up the slack for you.

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:05 pm

Ronin, most of what you also applies very well for Tau.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:01 pm

When facing Chaos as the Guard:

- Take down the Mark. Snipers, Ratlings, Marbo, or just everything focus fire this squad. He's giving massive buffs out around him simply by existing. Don't let him.

- Hellbrutes are either going to either make your infantry cry bloody tears or make your vehicles weep rusty tears. Find out what they're armed for and counter.

- Volleyguns and HBTs are your friends against this army. Get them ready. Nothing makes a Chaos player cry like watching his newly summoned units go pop after a single round.
- Addendum - Don't mass fire against Pink Horrors. Nothing will make you cry like having no shots left and they just split upon death. Resolve individual shots until you're sure they are dead...

- Mortars are ok, for the points, and the no-line of sit rule, but these guys tend to close with your lines super fast, and that will make the best two points of the mortars, kinda useless. Stay with ACTs or HBTs.

- Which brings me to my last point: Expect and plan for the CHARGE PHASE. These guys want to hug you....HUG YOU VERRY BADLY, AND MAKE YOU THEIR SPECIAL FRIEND!! Don't let them. Ogryns are great, but so are super cheap 5 man Guard squads. Don't let the Chaos get within hug range......

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:48 pm

mrazek22 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:01 pm
- Addendum - Don't mass fire against Pink Horrors. Nothing will make you cry like having no shots left and they just split upon death. Resolve individual shots until you're sure they are dead...
Just remember that Pink Horrors split before the model is removed as a casualty. Thus, every single wound caused allows for a split, and further wounds (even from the same volley of fire) can be taken on the split models. With full points, a single pink horror is technically 5 wounds that must be killed with separate attacks (each wound allows zero carry over).

Though also remember that blue/brimstones got nerfed down to 5++ and 6++ saves respectively. Which means, if the player wants to force it, they can (and should) take all saves individually. It's a bit of a jerk move, because it slows things down to a crawl, but it is the right way to do it, and the best way, for the Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons player.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:13 am

So you still shouldn't ever volley fire, because you are just asking for wasted shots. Even one Lasgun shot can fell the mightiest of enemies, waste them not. So sayeth the Uplifting Primer, Holiest of Texts, In the Emperors name we pray.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:11 am

Thankfully, no one in my group plays Tzeentch and the guys in the meta that do are playing tournament level games which I avoid, lol.

That's another suggestion to add to the codex astartes. "Find a group of like minded individuals to game with and make it clear what tone of games you like to play whether it's Competitive, semi-competitive, or narrative.

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:13 pm

Wait, now I'm confused. Do you mean only Tzeentch armies can summon, because I'm fairly positive all can.

That being said, ensure you bring at least some form of low-level psycher support, if only to Deny the Witch. Those small set of points can save you hundreds in the near term and 1000s in the long run.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:49 pm

No one has tzeentch models to summon them. Closest we have is Thousand Sons and a Khorne player.

Most of my lists have no psykers or Deny the witch so I just go hard on gun. :P