Narrative Campaign Help

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Orangegroves
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Narrative Campaign Help

Post by Orangegroves » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:44 pm

I am relatively new to 40k and have seen a couple of MWG narrative campaigns as really enjoyed them and the mechanics. They talk about being able to get/purchase these but I don’t understand how they work exactly. Some of the questions I have are:

How do you get started? How do know if you have the correct armies/models for the campaign?
Is the first battle of a campaign a ‘set’ army (meaning the campaign tells you which army you are bringing to the first battle)? Or do you have to pick your army roster?
How do you know which scenario comes next if Army A wins, if Army B wins? Does this matter?
Is there a difference between the type of victories Herioric vs minor)?

I tried to figure out some of these myself but am kind of stumped.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Narrative Campaign Help

Post by Koonitz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:36 pm

The narrative campaigns produced by Miniwargaming were all completely custom, with armies and missions designed and used by MWG Matt and the players involved in the campaign.

None were pre-made by GW. However, you can find some campaigns like this from GW, from time to time. I don't think they've produced one for 8th Edition, yet, but you can find campaigns in books like the Wrath of Magnus campaign book (which was for 7th Ed). There are also many for Horus Heresy/30k, from Forge World, in their large (and expensive) black books.

These campaigns will lay out mission structure, and give you 'benefits/consequenes' of winning/losing games as the campaign progresses.

My recommendation would be to read through the "Open Play" and "Narrative Play" sections of the 8th Edition rulebook, take inspiration, and go to town creating your own narrative games. I would recommend trying to be as balanced as possible (ie: use matched play points, though you can use narrative play power points, if you prefer), until you get more familiar with the game as a whole and know how to manipulate things.

As an example, I am running a narrative campaign for a few local friends. I have created a few custom missions for it, and even gave certain perks, here and there. For instance, a pox plague caused a zombie outbreak in one city and when the Imperium went to quash it, the Death Guard player got a reduced power point cost for Pox Walker units in his army.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:41 pm

Orangegroves wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:44 pm
I am relatively new to 40k and have seen a couple of MWG narrative campaigns as really enjoyed them and the mechanics. They talk about being able to get/purchase these but I don’t understand how they work exactly. Some of the questions I have are:

How do you get started? How do know if you have the correct armies/models for the campaign?
Is the first battle of a campaign a ‘set’ army (meaning the campaign tells you which army you are bringing to the first battle)? Or do you have to pick your army roster?
How do you know which scenario comes next if Army A wins, if Army B wins? Does this matter?

I tried to figure out some of these myself but am kind of stumped.

Any help/advice is appreciated.
The sky's the limit when it comes to narrative camapaigns. When you boil it down, there's generally two ways of doing them. One is the truly narrative one where each battle determines what goes on in the next chapter and then there's the conquest style campaigns that involve a map and counts wins/losses. MWG tends to do more of the former since their campaigns involve less than 4 people. You can get away with throwing in as more details as you like and even treat it like a DnD campaign where you are sort of the story teller who sets challenges and missions for the players to overcome. You don't try too hard to win, but it shouldn't be impossible to lose, either. Think of it like you're recreating your own single player campaign for RTS games.

A conquest style campaign is more sandboxy and usually involves a map or territory of some kind and they're more like a game of Civilization or Total War. The level of detail and complexity should depend on the number of people involved and it's an inverse ratio. If there's less players, you can throw in more ideas like supply routes and environmental effects. If you run a campaign with lots of folks, it'll be less mentally taxing with less details.

Donteatrawhagis
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Donteatrawhagis » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:08 am

There are a million ways to play Narrative Campaigns. There is no definitive way to play. Some people will play with literally no rules while others will use the tournament rules found in the book.

I typically will run narrative games in a very free formed way.

How do you get started?
The Rulebook has a section on Narrative games. Typically I find a friend who I play with and ask “Do you want to play a narrative game?”. If they say yes, then we discuss which armies and missions we want to play. If no, then I ask if they want to play a normal game, then I write up a narrative battle report for my own amusement. (I.E. I write a story base s on the normal game we just played)

If you are running a campaign for multiple people(more than 2) the answers to this are a bit different.

How do know if you have the correct armies/models for the campaign?
There are Campaign supplements that have specific armies that they are designed for such as Sanctus Reach being Ork vs Imperial Guard/IMPERIAL Knights/Space Wolves. These books are typically older editions and were written in a way that you can typically substitute armies if you want to.

If you are running your own Campaign you can use whatever armies you want. Every army has fought every other army in the lore of the game at least once.

Is the first battle of a campaign a ‘set’ army (meaning the campaign tells you which army you are bringing to the first battle)?
Look to the answer above. Some campaign books say please bring X unit, but sometimes you can find an equivalent replacement if necessary.

Or do you have to pick your army roster?
Depends on how you want to do it. Typically you make your lists at game time based on what you want to take(and any basic rules you wish to follow). If you and your opponent agree that there are limited numbers of specific units in a conflict than do that.

You choose which you want to do. There are tree campaigns where it will state what game to play afterwards, but they are an optional way to play. There is also a Matrix way of choosing missions that is pretty cool as well.

Major or Minor victories are not different unless you want them to be. My opponents and I will typically say a major victory means that the winner is far better off than the loser story wise. But gameplay wise their is no effect. Some people may give a bonus CP or ability to a major victory winner as a reward, again optional.
Writer/Programmer

Orangegroves
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Orangegroves » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:01 pm

Thank you everyone for the insights.