Various questions

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Various questions

Post by mrazek22 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:09 pm

Hey folks,

I finally have my Cadians 99% painted, and I am now fretting over how to get them to the store to do their duty and die for the emprah. My only option without spending stupid amounts of money is a Cabella's 70pc tackle box or a shoebox with tissue paper. Does anyone have any interesting and sneaky ways to get around the transport tax? I have a friend who uses one of his AR toughcases, but I sold mine a while back. Thoughts or suggestions? Zanier the better!

And for other stuff, the final 1% of painting left: EYES and MOUTH and MEDALS. I am having the WORST time with these. I can't find a small enough brush to do all the company commander's heraldry, or the commissar's little nicknacks. I am positively dreading doing the Scions, as those are pure pain to assemble let alone paint. I'm not expecting them to look like the pictures on the box, but common...

I heard the one black dot with a pin, and two white dotes on either side. any suggestions are super appreciated. Thank you!

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Re: Various questions

Post by blippityblip » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:10 pm

i dont paint eyes, i just use washes on the face, it all depends on what your happy with accepting, i have a kr multicase for my guardsmen, their fairly cheap, if youve varnished them and used plastic glue you could put them in a tub and just be careful, plastic glue tends to make the joins stronger than the actual plastic, ive seen a guy transport tanks and titans (very well painted ones too) in those big plastic tubs just sitting on top of each other... i'd probably not do that myself (he keeps his warlord titan on the front seat of his van too i believe)
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:20 pm

Honestly, thus far, I've been happy with GW's cases. They've served me well enough with no issues. The only things that I have trouble fitting in them are the occasional flyer or my Knights, which I rarely use more than one. A box lined with soft stuff (foam, paper towel, an actual towel, whatever works) works fine, there.

As for faces, I'm with blippityblip. I never bother, because I can never make it work, even with a small brush. Flesh-tone and shade the face works just fine, for me. Eyes are a little too small for anyone to really notice unless they pick up the model.

The only exception here would be the eyes on my Screamers (and other things like it, like some of the Tzeentch daemon books). Those I do, because they're large enough to add detail and then wash.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:25 pm

Yeah, I don’t bother with eyes either. A simple wash, and highlight is all faces get. It looks way better than the googly eyes I would do with my meagre painting skills.

Guard are one of the easier armies to find cases for, they have a fairly standard shape and don’t have lots of fiddly bits. A simple KR case or equivalent should suffice. The gw cases are pretty good too, but expensive.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:43 pm

The only "eyes" I paint are the lenses on space marines and dots on female models to give them the impression of eyeshadow, but I don't go all out and paint iris's. If you can't see the details standing from the table during the game, it's probably not worth doing.

Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Signet-Powers » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:57 am

I also just use a wash for eyes (purple) and sometimes paint the eyebrows on unhelmeted characters. I do give googly eyes to the unhelmeted black sargents but that's mostly because on really dark skin colors the lack of white eyes really stands out.

As for transport I just use a £2 platic box like this I got from a cheap shop: Image
I just stick the infantry in there and take the tanks and vehicles in a back pack. Any delicate models (like a lord commissar or standard bearer) i take seperatly to avoid damaging them.

JmOz01
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by JmOz01 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:19 pm

I will make a video about it...second person to ask about it...will
have it done tonight...magnets

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:50 pm

Locked for n-n-n-necromancy!