40k seige game

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

40k seige game

Post by Jeffers » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:52 pm

I hope someone can help. Im looking to do a seige game and i need some advice where i can get some walls from.

Im looking for relatively high walls with a walk way on, like a castle wall but more scfi rather than stone. Does anyone know a good company that may nake something like that?

Ideally i want to build the base from starship troopers with towers and tall walls with a base in the centre.

Many thanks

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Re: 40k seige game

Post by blippityblip » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:05 pm

Strangely there doesn't seem to be much online, not of a decent height any how, there's the wall of martyrs but it's not a decent height, you'd think a few companies would make a decent sized sci fi wall, but alas they don't, they just seem to copy and paste what the rest of them do. I too would love some good sized walls so if you find some please tell me where
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:43 pm

Well, it must be because high walls are in fact completely useless in modern warfare and even less so in futuristic warfare. They would be simply too vulnerable to artillery and air strikes. So, because of that, I guess no company made any. You will probably have to make your own.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Mecha82
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mecha82 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:43 pm
Well, it must be because high walls are in fact completely useless in modern warfare and even less so in futuristic warfare. They would be simply too vulnerable to artillery and air strikes. So, because of that, I guess no company made any. You will probably have to make your own.
Something being useless or in-practical has never stopped that being in 40k. Besides there is reason why in 40k lore both Imperial Fists and Iron Warriors known as siege experts so clearly 40k lore has siege warfare. Does it make sense? Of course not but that has never been important in 40k. Only what's awesome and fits into grim dark 40k universe.
Warhammer 40k:
Blood Angels
Dark Angels

Somethings never change.

It was already broken when I got here.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:01 pm

Mecha82 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:53 pm
Kovlovsky wrote:
Something being useless or in-practical has never stopped that being in 40k. Besides there is reason why in 40k lore both Imperial Fists and Iron Warriors known as siege experts so clearly 40k lore has siege warfare. Does it make sense? Of course not but that has never been important in 40k. Only what's awesome and fits into grim dark 40k universe.
It still explains why nobody is manufacturing them though.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Jeffers » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:24 pm

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:29 pm

I'm not sure if Angry Badger is still around, but they had a pretty awesome wall set for a really good price. Here's a review of the set. http://gravengames.co.uk/angry-badger-b ... it-review/

Edit: upon looking around the interwebs, they seem to have disappeared :( Their Dakka account hasn't had any activity for a while, and their website is no longer accessible. Haven't been able to find any explanations for the disappearance yet. Maybe you can get lucky and ask around to see if anyone's got one of their old kits to sell.
Last edited by Bojazz on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by blippityblip » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:42 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:
Their not completely useless at all, they stop people trespassing, they give cover to small arms fire, they give infantry a defendable position and they make people feel safe, I imagine building a wall around a town that is regularly raided by xenos will improve the morale of the citizens and the soldiers guarding.
Secondly a good wall looks cool and we all know that people care less about if things are useful than if they look cool, I mean if we're going on things that are useless in modern warfare then they should stop making things like chainswords and other close combat weapons, because y'know they would get shot in real life before they got close enough.
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Signet-Powers » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:41 pm

This option is incredibly expensive as you have to buy the upgrade as well but its the best I could find:

http://www.warmill.co.uk/BattleSnap_Bar ... 67883.aspx

You could always buy just half of the outpost instead for about £50 on page 2 of that link. Still expensive, but stick it on a large cardboad base and you could double it as a display stand?
Kovlovsky wrote:
Massive walls are used all the time in modern warfare. They don't protect against air-strikes and artillery because they don't need to, they protect against everything else. They're also used offensively, such as in Baghdad in 2003 when they built concrete walls from local contractors around every highway to protect agaisnt IEDs and within the city to cordon off districts. They protected agaisnt Mortars, explosives, tresspassing, supply lines, smuggling, etc...
[+] Expand

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:38 am

BACK IN MY DAY, WE BUILT ALL OUR TERRAIN!

(Shakes a cane)

MadHatTom
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by MadHatTom » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:42 am

Mantic battlezones perhaps? Modular, plastic, and they make a few kits that are even designed to be used as fortress walls

Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Jeffers » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:58 pm

Thanks for everyones help.

Might have to make some mongolian rough riders to knock down the walls 😄

MetalNids
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by MetalNids » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:10 pm

not sure where you are in the world, but have you looked at these guys?

https://miniaturescenery.com/index.php
I play the following Warhammer 40K armies:
Bugs
CSM
Harlequins
Cult Mechanicus
Chaos Demons

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by blippityblip » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:23 pm