Contemptor Dreadnaught in Match Army

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Kaneda13
Bronze Vault Member

Contemptor Dreadnaught in Match Army

Post by Kaneda13 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:19 am

I really enjoy the models of the 30K set, so I'm using the Betrayal at Calth to build my 40K army. I'm using all the figures in the box to create a Word Bearers army. I'll have the captain in term armor, the dark apostle, 3 units of CSM, and a unit of chaos terms (I'll be assembling them to fit 40K rules). My question is thus, I have a data card for the Contemptor, and he's an elite, but since he's not in the standard chaos codex (Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnaught in the Imperial Amor: Forces of Chaos codex), can I still use him as one of my two elite slots in a brigade detachment?

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Contemptor Dreadnaught in Match Army

Post by General-Kroll » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:52 am

Depends on the context of the game, since it's matched play, I'd assume that you can't use the loyalist rules for it, and should try and get hold of the IA book so you can use his proper rules.

Kaneda13
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Kaneda13 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:58 am

I have the codex from 8th that lists both the Imperial and Chaos titans, and it's listed as a "Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought". I can photo it once I get home, just can't find it online. It's in this book:

My thought was, can I take it in my normal army since it's not from the same codex as the rest of the army.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:20 am

Oh yeah absolutely, as long as it has the Chaos keyword you can take it. The units in that book are meant to be used with the GW Index Chaos units.

Kaneda13
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Kaneda13 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:33 am

GREAT, thanks. I just wasn't sure and wanted to check before I got used to having something in my army that wasn't match legal. (we don't place at the match level, but if we're going to learn, I want to learn the right way)

MarkOfNotch
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by MarkOfNotch » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:48 am

I'm taking 3 of these bad boys in my next list- they've been my star performers in 8th! Their superior BS and WS is great, and the move far enough that they can get into combat where they are beasts, very good against a lot of high-wound models on the charge. Often hitting and wounding on 2s. It helps my regular opponent doesn't have as much anti-armour as some armies, although hopefully playing someone else soon who can pump out some lascannon fire so we'll see how they do.

I also have a Chaos Space Marine army based almost entirely on Betrayal at Calth sets. I got two sets so I've been able to make some Havocs as well as many normal Marines out of that. Thats worth thinking about long term. I've found Heavy Bolter havocs to be very effective for their low points cost, my Missile Launchers have done ok but they're only there because I had the bits from BoC and I didn't want to pay for Forgeworlds lascannons. Lascannon Havocs are probably the best way to run them but you'd have to source the bits. Terminators have been less effective. I don't believe they're terrible, just expensive in an edition with lots of things that can deal mortal wounds. I'm still trying to figure out how to use them effectively. But my advice is to start off by building some troops out of your 30 marines and get yourself some transports for your Calth dudes. Rhinos are very valuable in this new edition, as are Land Raiders. But there's plenty that can kill basic Marines so they need transports to hide in, then you can decide when they engage the enemy.
Alpha Legion, Power Level 147
World Eaters, Power Level 96
Khorne Daemons, Power Level 30

Kaneda13
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Kaneda13 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:02 am

Again, more great information! We are only playing at 1K point battles right now, so I don't even think I can field all the models that come in the B@C box just yet. We are still learning (just started playing right before 8th came out). I'll be doing battles against my son who plays World Eaters, and my friend who plays Space Marines, so any tips on building the models to good loads outs would certainly be appreciated. I was originally going to play Tau, actually purchased 2 starting kits, have them assembled and started painting, just not "feeling" that army. I'm a big fan of the fluff, so the Word Bearers back story is pretty compelling.

Salamand3rs4Lyfe
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Salamand3rs4Lyfe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:19 am

If you plan on giving the contemptor the multi-melta then you can always talk to your playgroup about allowing you to use it as a helbrute until you can get the forgeworld book.
Armies i collect:
11,115pts csm The Privileged
7,268pts Salamanders
1,200pts gsc Sons of Jormangandr

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:01 am

Salamand3rs4Lyfe wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:19 am
If you plan on giving the contemptor the multi-melta then you can always talk to your playgroup about allowing you to use it as a helbrute until you can get the forgeworld book.
I'd say if you're planning on getting the Forge World book, you should ask your group if they're okay with you fielding it as a hellbrute regardless of what it's armed with. Most people should have no problems with a contemptor pretending to be a Hellbrute or traditional dreadnought, and proxying weapons is pretty common.

Also, I'd strongly, STRONGLY recommend magnetizing your contemptors arms. Especially when you have the options contained within the Forge World book (which dramatically increases the number of weapon options the contemptor has for both loyalist and heretic armies). The Forge World weapon options are also fairly cheap, so it would be relatively easy, even with shipping, to order a few separate options, magnetize them up, and swap as needed.

I have both the Astartes and Chaos Forge World indexes for 8th, and have worked with multiple contemptors (including Forge World's and the simpler GW one). If you are curious, I'd be happy to show you pictures and offer a brief discussion on how to magnetize them easily.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch