New codex's incoming

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: New codex's incoming

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:20 pm

It would be low, even by GW standards, to just release imperial and chaos codex this year. There will certainly be at least a few Xenos codices among the 10 released this year. By example, in the 7th ed, the Orks were first and they released Necrons and Eldars fairly quickly.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by blippityblip » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Id presume within the 10 we see this year orks T'au and craft world are all released, little surprised at grey knights being so sudden, but then maybe their looking to release 1 of the more popular armies then following it with a less popular army, this way they don't have 5 months of selling shed loads and then afterwards selling very few once the lesser used armies are hitting the shelves. This strategy would also make it easier to keep up with demand as you'd be staggering the release of the big sellers giving yourself time to make more books before the next big release is due
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:51 pm

As a Grey Knights player, I'm not complaining at all. I got lucky on the wheel of codex releases with two of my factions getting updates first. ;)

mmsolo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mmsolo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:03 pm

As a space wolf player i'm affraid... If the big vanilla one is out, i don't think than the 3 non codex astartes chapter will be a priority. This way i can only have a good surprise or no surprise at all !

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by blippityblip » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:11 pm

Chaos space marines is out soon and that's followed by deathguard, which is a faction of chaos space marines, so don't lose hope
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:44 pm

I wonder if there will be new models for every release, that would be kind of cool, makes me wonder what possible releases could be coming...

Tyranids - Some kind of Knight equivilant?
Eldar- Plastic Aspects?
Guard - Plastic characters, such as Platoon commander etc.
Chaos seem to be getting their cult units redone per each God.
Tau - something related to the new fluff about the lost fleet.
Sisters...well plastic sisters.
Inquisitors - plastic acolyte kit.
Orks -?
Grey Knights ?
Maybe faction specific Primaris for the likes of DA, BA and SW.

Squats?

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:03 pm

Ronin wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:51 pm
As a Grey Knights player, I'm not complaining at all. I got lucky on the wheel of codex releases with two of my factions getting updates first. ;)
It's often a two edged sword. In the past, the first codices had a tendancy of being written with restraint, but were quickly followed by an increasingly intense power creep. Ask CSMs and DA players what they thought about being the first updated in the 6th edition only to be fall very behind when the Eldars, Tau and Space Marines codices hit the shelves. Or the Orks and BAs in the 7th edition before GW embraced the power creep fully starting with the Necrons. My experience tell me that the sweet spot has historically been in the middle of an edition.
General-Kroll wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:44 pm
I wonder if there will be new models for every release, that would be kind of cool, makes me wonder what possible releases could be coming...

Tyranids - Some kind of Knight equivilant?
Eldar- Plastic Aspects?
Chaos seem to be getting their cult units redone per each God.
Tau - something related to the new fluff about the lost fleet.
Sisters...well plastic sisters.
Inquisitors - plastic acolyte kit.
Orks -?
Grey Knights ?
Maybe faction specific Primaris for the likes of DA, BA and SW.

Squats?
If you asked a CSM player what new models he wants, he would instantly tell you that he wants to be getting rid of our obsolete resin sculpts probably in that order:

- Plastic havocs
- Plastic Abaddon
- Plastic power armored sorcerer that isn't TS

In the 7th edition he would immediately added plastic Obliterators. Unfortunately, they've been reduced into a "fun" unuseful unit in the 8th edition, so it doesn't matter right now. But you get the idea. There are other resin characters as well, but Typhus, Huron and Lucius still look decent, so it's not too bad.

And Squats, or rather Demiurgs are very unlikely to make a come back since they just have been written about in passing in all recent fluff novels with no character even speaking or having a role in something. Besides, there are so many factions already. GW isn't even able to replace the SoB miniature range since 3rd edition at least, so they have plentiful of job ahead. Don't want to be discouraging, but the cold hard truth doesn't make Squats likely to come back.

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by coldsteel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:29 pm

General-Kroll wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:44 pm

We already have that with the Command Squad box set; you can make officers, even Commisars with the sprues.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

MarkOfNotch
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by MarkOfNotch » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:13 pm

Chaos are getting their cult units redone, but besides the basic marines and havocs what really needs updating is the character range. They have released new Ahriman and Kharn, as well as some great-looking Exalted Sorcerers of Tzeentch, and Cypher as part of the Gathering Storm box.

But look at the rest of the character range;

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Wa ... 0130a-flat

I expect Typhus to be the next character to get updated, but non-Cult Chaos Space Marines could really do with a plastic Chaos Lord in Power Armour and a plastic generic Sorcerer. And that Abaddon sculpt isn't ageing well either!
Alpha Legion, Power Level 147
World Eaters, Power Level 96
Khorne Daemons, Power Level 30

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:29 pm

MarkOfNotch wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:13 pm
Chaos are getting their cult units redone, but besides the basic marines and havocs what really needs updating is the character range. They have released new Ahriman and Kharn, as well as some great-looking Exalted Sorcerers of Tzeentch, and Cypher as part of the Gathering Storm box.

I expect Typhus to be the next character to get updated, but non-Cult Chaos Space Marines could really do with a plastic Chaos Lord in Power Armour and a plastic generic Sorcerer. And that Abaddon sculpt isn't ageing well either!
Yeah, I'm absolutely sure that Typhus will get redone soon. It's just inevitable with the Death Guard releases.

As for cult units, is there some solid rumors that says that Noise Marines and Khorne Berserkers are getting plastic models? Noise Marines could really used some dedicated models instead of a simple upgrade pack with almost nothing aside guns for the average noise marine. The basic marines are an slightly updated 3rd edition sculpt, so they would really use an update too. But my guts tells me that they will last for a little while longer.

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by blippityblip » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:00 pm

They did say that most codex releases wouldn't have models released with them but some would
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:25 pm

blippityblip wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:00 pm
They did say that most codex releases wouldn't have models released with them but some would
At least, I hope that the armies which are dragging old resin models from the 2nd and 3rd edition will get them replaced. And plastic Sisters are a necessity. There is a point where patience runs out.

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by blippityblip » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:53 pm

I'd love to see some plastic sisters and I'd be very surprised if we didn't see them when their codex comes out. The codex before Christmas should have a nice set of models released with it, let's hope that codex is sisters of battle
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:08 am

PLASPECTS! It's gotta happen sometime! I've been begging for them for years XD
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

MarkOfNotch
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by MarkOfNotch » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:02 am

Kovlovsky wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:29 pm
MarkOfNotch wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:13 pm

Yeah, I'm absolutely sure that Typhus will get redone soon. It's just inevitable with the Death Guard releases.

As for cult units, is there some solid rumors that says that Noise Marines and Khorne Berserkers are getting plastic models? Noise Marines could really used some dedicated models instead of a simple upgrade pack with almost nothing aside guns for the average noise marine. The basic marines are an slightly updated 3rd edition sculpt, so they would really use an update too. But my guts tells me that they will last for a little while longer.
No sorry, I haven't heard any rumours about Berserkers or Noise Marines. I just meant they have been redoing the cult marines obviously with the Rubric and Plague Marines. Maybe saying they will redo all of them is putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5! I hope they do though.
Alpha Legion, Power Level 147
World Eaters, Power Level 96
Khorne Daemons, Power Level 30