So how did your last game go, 8TH EDITION! (Or other games, of course!)

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: So how did your last game go, 8TH EDITION! (Or other games, of course!)

Post by Ronin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:10 am

He has an interesting take on his TS in the sense that he wanted them to be an alternate universe version that remained loyalist. ;)

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:05 am

So he is like a Blood Ravens player?
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:05 am

He should be. Also he's got loyalist Sons of Horus and Iron Hands now.

My ultramarines aren't having it so they keep getting purged. :twisted:

TylerRnR
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by TylerRnR » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:41 am

We used the random objective card and got 'The Comet'.

I ran a 1500pt Cadian list vs. the Ynnari. It was a super bloody match, and I would have won if we tracked anything aside from the comet, but one mistake at the end of the match signaled my doom. Bad Positioning.

Before the comet showed on the board my opponent attempted to push forward to get my Taurox and tanks in range. So when I placed the comet I put it down in their backfield and then immediate deployed my drop pod and Scions behind his lines to force him to split up his forces.

My Sternguard and Captain took out an entire squad of Banshees and the Scions got a few good hits off into the troops before collapsing.

At the end of the game, I had a relatively unmolested forced on one side of the board (Taurox w/ Commander, Commissar, Command Squad), half an infantry squad, 2 Leman Russ, but on the side with the objective he killed off my Ancient and Sternguard in previous turns and then smited my Captain on the final turn with Yvraine. This left her at the objective with only a a drop pod on that end of the field so there was no way to contest it.

At the end of the game, I had a Drop Pod, 2 Leman Russ, a Taurox (w/ Commander, Commissar and Command Sq.), and Infantry left. The opponent only had Yvraine at the comet and a single Wraithguard over by my tanks.

My own strategy to divide my opponents attention doomed me! :cry:

My list (from memory):
Cadians:
Commander
Lord Commissar
Command Squad (Plasma, Medic, Vox)
2 x Infantry Squad w/ Flamers, Vox
Scion Squad with Plasma Guns
2 x Leman Russ w/ BC, Las, H.Bolters
2 x Chimera w/ Flamers
1 x Taurox w/ SB
Ultramarines (First Time Ever):
Captain w/ Power Sword
Sternguard w/ Combi Plasma Sgt, 2 x Plasma Gun
Company Ancient
Drop Pod
Contemptor Dreadnought w/ Multi-Melta
Astra Militarum - 1500 (Cadian)
Astartes - 2500 Blood Angels, 1000 Ultramarines, 1000 Space Wolves
Xenos - 1000 Tau, 1000 Tyranids, 750 Orks
Chaos - 1000 Chaos Space Marines

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:21 am

I was under the impression that the Comet was random, being placed in quadrants (in the center) depending on the roll?
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

TylerRnR
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by TylerRnR » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:25 pm

I don't have the deck, the other player brought it, but he said the player who rolled for the quadrant also got to place it anywhere fully within the quadrant we rolled for (unless it was the center of the map).

I just googled it and it looks like it must have been a house rule of his or a misinterpretation on our part. Thanks for pointing that out though. Live and learn.

I still rolled for the quadrant and I don't think changing the placement from the edge of the quadrant to the center of it would have done much to alter the battle at all. I still probably would have dropped in a similar spot, gunned down most of his backfield, and have my marines thrown into the blender.
Astra Militarum - 1500 (Cadian)
Astartes - 2500 Blood Angels, 1000 Ultramarines, 1000 Space Wolves
Xenos - 1000 Tau, 1000 Tyranids, 750 Orks
Chaos - 1000 Chaos Space Marines

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:17 pm

"At the start of the third battle round, the players roll off. The winner rolls a dice and palces an objective marker as close as possible to the center of the corresponding location shown on the map below (1-4 are quadrants, 5-6 is the center of the table)."

Realgone
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Realgone » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:27 pm

Played my first tournament last weekend. Final result is 2 win 1 loss. Win: Imperial guard (13-6) and alpha legion warband (16-11), loss: Eldar (10-9).

2k list:

- Magnus (weaver of faith, death hex, warptime)

- Ahriman on disk (prescience, infernal gaze, weaver of faith)

- 2x full lascannon predator

- 1x 5 man unit of havoc with 4 autocannons, bolt pistol and chainsword.

- 1x 10 rubricae, soulreaper cannon, 1x warpflammer, force staff and inferno bolt pistol.

- 1x 10 rubricae, soulreaper cannon, 1x warpflammer, force staff and warpflame pistol.

- 1x 5 man scarab occult, soulreaper cannon, hellfyre missile rack, force staff and inferno combi-bolter.

- 2x 10 horrors, 3 blue and 7 brimstone

- 1x 10 horrors, 4 blue, and 6 brimstone (no stategy here, just used what i've got.)

For a first experience I really liked it, hopefully the next one is not too far away. :)

ln1000000
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ln1000000 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:05 pm

2000 pts Blood Angels vs Dark Angels.
No holds bar, we brought the heavy hitters.

Open War. Managed to draw a card that gave us two objectives.
1) The Stash
2) 2 objectives in each others' deployment, at any time if you control both by end of opponents turn, immediate win.

Our deployment was so good that we (mostly by mistake) prevented any deep striking within our back lines. Which hurt us both. He had trouble getting his Deathwing near my backlines, and I had trouble dropping in my death company.

Game literally came down to a charge roll, which I made. We both held our deployment objectives steadfastly all game, so it came down to the Stash at the end of turn 5.
I held the stash for the entire game, until my opponent made a last turn dash for the objective, and secured it. I botched an entire round of shooting at the scouts and rhino that now held the Stash, but I managed to charge, destroy those squads and retake the objective with consolidation. It was a 9" charge, no rerolling left.

Highlights:
Opponent had one Inceptor with a single wound left. If it died, I would have had my Inceptors easily destroy his Captain since it was the next closest unit to my Inceptors. His 1 wound inceptor survived 2 devastator squads and a Predator worth of shooting. I either botched the wound roll, or he made his 5+ and 6+ saves (he made 3 once!). I ran out of shooting, and had to waste all of my inceptor shots on that single model with 1 wound.

Lemartes single handedly killed Azrael and a Venerable Dreadnaught. I either made my 4+ invulns or Ignored almost all wounds with two 6+ ignores (Tenacious survivor, black rage).

Librarian landed next to the Deathwing Knights and rolled an 11 for Smite, for which I rolled a 5.

Opponent 1 shot my charging Librarian with a lucky 6+ Krak missile hit. Failed my 4+ invuln (Shield of Sanguinius) and he rolled a 6 for damage.

One of the closest games I've ever played. It was really really fun.
I saved Christmas.
8000pts of Blood Angels
3rd Edition Old Guard Veteran.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:54 am

I had a really good game last night against my buddies Nids (formerly my Nids, but I swapped them for his Krieg army)

The new Nid codex is....nasty :twisted: there’s nothing that’s been hugely buffed since the Index, but the hive fleet rules, and strategems make them a very very nasty opponent. It’s good to see Tyranids and Guard being strong again, rather than the also rans they became in 7th edition.

I can see that I’m going to have to do a bit more work and research the cool strategems and tactics to use as a Guard army now.

Anyway, the game.

I bought a mid sized blob of Kriegsmen, backed up by some Grenadiers, a command squad, and two Punishers. Then in a separate Outrider Detachment, I brought a Lord Commissar, and some Armoured Sentinels.
My friend had a blob of twenty gaunts backed up by a Tervigon and some Warriors. As well as a large squad of Genestealers, with a Broodlord and a few Ravenors. He kept that group in reserve...oh and there was a deathleaper hidden somewhere too!

He got first turn, and immediately brought on the Stealers and the Ravenors on my flank. During deployment I’d made the fatal error of leaving a Punisher completely exposed there.

The Ravenors failed their charge and lost a model to the huge rate of fire coming out of the Punisher on overwatch. But then the Genestealers swept in and along with the Broodlord, just about managed to pull the beleaguered Leman Russ apart with their rending claws.

On my first turn, I was forced to deal with the frenzied blob of clawed mutants on my doorstep, which meant that his main force could move forward unopposed. I basically put everything I could fire into dealing with the stealers and the Broodlord. The Genestealers and the Ravenors succumbed to fire from the Punisher and a squad of plucky guardsmen who rushed forward to get into range for first rank fire second rank fire. My Commissar and warlord (Marshall Karis Venner) who were backed up by a command squad, dealt with the Broodlord using overcharged plasma pistols. +++BLAM, TAKE THAT XENOS SCUM+++

Ahem, sorry.

On turn two I was once again left exposed. In my haste to deal with the Broodlord, I’d left my Commissar wide open, he bravely (or foolishly) had stepped forward in front of his infantry squad, making him the nearest model to my enemy. He was brought low by 30 devourer shots. The remainder of the devourers targeted and decimated an infantry squad. While some rippers managed to get close enough to damage another squad.
Meanwhile on my right flank my Grenadiers were ambushed by some Warriors and the Deathleaper. Things were looking grim.

A couple more turns went by, and even though the Punisher wiped out the rest of the gaunts, I was still up to my neck in xenos. And my opponent had almost double the victory points I did. So we called it there. I think, maybe optimistically that if we’d kept going, I probably could have tabled him, but the same could be said for his forces wiping out mine.

It was a really fun game though, and was nice to play against a fairly tough opponent.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:20 am

Great pics! Castling up might have been a good idea to try. Same with rolling either Hammer and Anvil, Spearhead, or Vanguard deployment if you won the roll off on that.

Otasolgryn
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Otasolgryn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:31 pm

My last game was against orks, with my DG.

As always i get scared witless by sheer number of the big brutes.

I kept back defencivly, until i could thin out the numbers a bit.

With the help of a cultist speed bump screen, i got a good charge in, piling everything i got into his 2 big blobs of boys.

As is usual, i had overestimated what it takes to kill them.

So i violently murdered them, with few losses.

However, that left his support units, grots and such, to keep scoring maelstrom points, leaving me way behind, and unable to catch up, or get hold of them to wipe them out.

Lesson learned...

Pay attention the the mission, even though murdering orks is very satisfing

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:40 am

I’ve onlh faced Orks once this edition, I’m looking forward to playing my buddies a bit more often now he’s got back into the game. It sounds like they are tough opponents, though not too bad. By the sound of your game they are more than capable of holding their own. I agree, it’s always important to focus on the mission, but had you done that, do you think the orks would have overwhelmed you a little anyway?

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:06 am

My last game was 1,000 points, no mercy, Tau vs Tempestus scions with a knight paladin.

I managed to get turn one, but I deployed too far away to do much, other than have my broadside chip a couple wounds off the knight.
His turn one was a little more productive, in which he was able to wipe out one of my 5-man fire warrior teams.
Turn 2: I had my crisis team, and commanders drop in. Between my fusion commander, crisis suits missile pods, and broadside, I was able to knock 12-14(?) wounds off the knight. Fire warriors and crisis’ burst cannons killed a couple scions.
His knight took out a crisis suit, and failed to hit my fusion commander. His scions revived the few guys my fire warriors killed, and didn’t do any damage to my suits(they were still too far away from my fire warriors).
Turn 3: my fusion commander dealt the killing blow the the knight. The resulting explosion killed my commander’s drones, half the commander’s wounds, and took out several scions. After that my opponent conceded.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:51 pm

Hoo boy. First time running my Imperial Guard with the codex and I see why they're so ruthless. I ran my 2k Rolling Dragon Task Force which was a mechanized guard list with Tallarn discipline and it massacred the Necrons to the man by turn 4. The Tallarn discipline was so useful considering I was able to move and shoot without penalty on my vehicles and it put the tauroxes up to act as a screen against incoming necrons. My opponent took the bait with them and it left my Leman Russ's free to fire with their executioner cannons, double plasma cannons, and lascannons. I also was being a little cheesy and made the 3 russ's Tank Commanders so they gave each other reroll 1's to avoid overheating. Surprisingly, I didn't really use many of the Guard stratagems.

The necron player did some clever tricks with the deceiver, and teleported a block of warriors and 2 doomsday arks behind my lines, but I think not being able to go first really messed his plans up because I immediately started clearing my backfield with everything I had.