So how did your last game go, 8TH EDITION! (Or other games, of course!)

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: So how did your last game go, 8TH EDITION! (Or other games, of course!)

Post by Koonitz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:29 pm

Had a game last night with my Thousand Sons against Salamanders Space Marines (predominantly Primaris). I was originally going to be playing Tyranids, but that player was late (for a good reason, he got stuck in the snow deep in the wilderness, driving his Jeep around!).

This was a 1,750 point game, helping out friends who are preparing for a tournament in the near future.

My list:
[+] Expand
Battalion Detachment
HQ: Ahriman, "Herihor" Sorcerer in Terminator armour (inferno combi-bolter, force stave, familiar, Helm of the Third Eye relic, Warlord)
ELITES: Tzaangor Shaman (paid 1 CP for second relic, Dark Matter Crystal), Helbrute with Plasma, Sekhmet Cabalx5 (Soulreaper, Sorc w/ force stave&inferno combi)
TROOPS: Rubricsx10 (Soulreaper, sorc w/ force stave&pistol), Rubricsx10 (Soulreaper, sorc w/ force stave&pistol), Tzaangorsx20 (Tzaangor weapons)
FAST: Tzaangor Enlightenedx6 (Greatbows)
HEAVY: "Tantabus" Sicaran Venator (lascannon sponsons)
102 reserve points (Honestly, wasn't sure what to bring here. Rhino didn't fit thematically, didn't have another 10 Tzaangors painted, decided to leave open for demon summoning)

Warlord trait: High magister (+1 casting)
Spells: Ahriman (Prescience (+1 hit), Glamour of Tzeentch (-1 to be hit), Weaver of Fates (+1 invuln or 5++), Herihor (Death Hex (no invuln, Doombolt (d3 MW, half movement), Shaman (Warptime (move again)), Sekhmet (Diabolic Strength (+2 Str, +1 Atk), Rubric 1 (Boon of Mutation (roll on boon table), Rubric 2 (Temporal Manipulation (heal d3 wounds))
(NOTE!: I believe I cheated by taking Warptime on the Shaman, as he shouldn't have access to that discipline. However, I could have swapped with Rubric 2 and not had any change in effect, as they both hung out very close to each other all game)

CP: 6 -1 (second relic)
His list:
[+] Expand
Don't recall the detachments, but he had 5 CP, so probably two elite ones, or somethin'. Didn't really look that close at his list.
Not very specific on wargear, will note where possible
HQ: Primaris Captain in Gravis armour (Warlord, Salamanders relic and Warlord trait), regular Captain in cataphractii, Primaris Lieutenant
ELITES: Terminators x5 (assault cannon), Primaris Aggressorsx3 (Flamestorm cannons), Sternguardx5
TROOPS: Primaris Reiverx5, Primaris Reiverx5 (dunno if these are troops or not), Primaris Intercessors (autobolt rifles)
HEAVY: Repulsor with all the assault cannon dakka, Land Raider Redeemer (multi-melta)
TRANSPORT: Drop Pod (storm bolter, for the sternguard)
Mission: Sealed Orders (Draw 6 at the start, cannot draw more until all 6 are secured or discarded, then draw 5, then 4, etc)
Deployment: Search and Destroy
He got first turn after finishing deploying first and us rolling a tie for first turn. I did not attempt to steal the initiative (honestly, I forgot to even try).

The board was a set of ruins, overgrown with lush vegetation, both the ruins and the various vegetation terrain pieces blocked line of sight, giving some very favorable line of sight blocking venues to advance through.

1st Turn:
[+] Expand
Salmanders: (Termies in Redeemer, Aggressors in Repulsor, sternguard in drop pod, cataphractii captain in teleport, both reivers in hidden deployment) He moved the Repulsor behind some vegetation, blocking LoS to my entire army, but left the Redeemer relatively exposed, slightly behind his lines. Since I was able to cover my back lines by having a crafty Ahriman deep behind my Sicaran Venator, there was no opportunity to deep strike behind my lines. Both reiver squads too commanding positions on the top of buildings to my left flank and in the center. The intercessors, supported by the Lt moved up into the center building. Both reivers fired at the Tzaangors, which were deployed as my spearhead, but nothing else had a venue to fire. Only 3 died (good 5++ saves), but I then promptly rolled a 6 for morale, losing 2 more.

TSons: Objectives: Defend 5 (left flank, rubricae were just shy after moving), Defend 6 (Helbrute moved onto it), Harness the Warp (definitely got d3 on this one), Asassinate, Area Denial (Reivers in center), and a 6th I don't remember 'cause I discarded it.
On the left flank, I moved the Rubrics towards the reivers and drove the tank up to get line of sight on his Redeemer. The Tzaangors, shaman and enlightened all moved to the right flank to put pressure on the intercessors and Lt. Ahriman remained stationary. Herihor and the Sekhmet deep struck in the far corner on my left flank, exactly 24" away from the Repulsor (Note: They MAY have been within 9" of the Reivers in the building on that flank, as we both forgot to pay attention to them, but as the reivers were on the top floor, it was likely still outside 9"). In addition, I used the Dark Matter Crystal to pull the Tzaangors from one side of my Shaman to the other, in perfect charge range of the intercessors and Lt. Ahriman used a command point for Sorcerous pacts,summoning in a 20-body unit of horrors into the back field (10 Pink/10 Brimstones, 100 points). This provided rear field coverage to protect against the drop pod and let Ahriman move forward in further turns to keep up with the tank.

Ahriman poured all 3 powers into the Sicaran Venator, the Shaman warp timed the Tzaangors (note, the Rubricae squad was also within range, as the 3" range was increased to 9", thanks to Thousand Sons), Herihor doom bolted and smited the repulsor (the reivers at the top of the building were out of LoS). Finger pistols went every which way. Shooting was largely uneventful. Knocked the center reiver squad to 1 model (losing me first blood and Area Denial). The Sekhmet and Herihor fired on the Repulsor, doing a remarkable 4 wounds with inferno combi-bolters and a soulreaper cannon, bringing it down to 9. The Sicaran Venator hit with the main cannon but utterly failed to wound the Redeemer (3d6 against Ld9: 2, 2, 1), so only managed to put 3 wounds on with a lascannon. The 15 man Tzaangor unit charged the intercessors and Lieutenant, taking 1 casualty in overwatch. They then promptly bounced off them (much to my surprise, considering their performance in my league games with 10). They were then whittled down to 1 (casualties and morale).
Turn 2
[+] Expand
Salamanders: The Repulsor moved in on the Sekhmet and Herihor, it being slowed thanks to Doombolt. The Redeemer pushed the right flank to deal with the Tzaangor threat while his Primaris captain milled about the back field, moving towards the center building at a leisurely pace. The drop pod came down on the right flank, also to put pressure on the Tzaangors. The enlightened took the brunt of the firepower, losing 3 of their 6.

The Repulsor offloaded the entirety of it's 3 billion weapons at the Sekhmet, doing a whopping total of ZERO wounds with everything except the twin-lascannon (which killed two). Losing only 2 models from all of that firepower was through stunning luck on my part, passing a whole lot of 2+ saves. There were no charges, however the last Tzaangor was slain, keeping the intercessors far enough back that I could claim Area Denial in my turn.

TSons: Objectives: Defend 5, Area Denial, Assassinate.
With the Repulsor exposed, my Sicaran Venator was able to remain stationary to pour firepower into it. Ahriman moved forward to consolidate his position with the tank. The Tzaangors still on the right flank fell back into the building for cover, the Enlightened getting a bead on the remaining Reiver in the center field. The Rubricae on both flanks were largely just firefighting into the buildings, doing token wounds, here and there, cover negating much of the high AP firepower. The Sicaran Venator was able to finish off the Repulsor with the Sekhmet's help, but it took the entirety of its firepower (the main cannon only did 4 wounds). The aggressors were able to get out with no further firepower coming their way. The Enlightened were able to finish the last Reiver, giving me Area Denial (but only the 6" range, not 12"). The Helbrute failed to damage the intercessors, still taking cover in the building.
Turn 3
[+] Expand
Salamanders: The right flank consolidated all their firepower to wipe out the remaining Tzaangor Enlightened and begin to pick off the rubricae in the building. The left flank saw the three agressors get in range of the sekhmet, laying into them with 6d6 automatic hitting flamer shots. Unfortunately for him, my Sekhmet were, once again, on point, taking only ONE wound from the furious firestorm. His unfortunate lack of long ranged firepower limited his capability to reach out and do serious damage to me.

TSons: Objectives: Assassinate (I foolishly did not discard this on my previous turn, as I had a chance to warp time bomb my Helbrute into his Lt this turn).
With the Redeemer now exposed on the right flank, my tank backed up, getting a bead on the Land Raider while my Helbrute broke out, away from Objective 6 to try for the bomb on his Lt. The rubricae on the left flank were joined by the pink horrors, supporting them against the Reivers while the Rubricae moved around to get shots off on the aggressors. Sadly, the tank, once again, only did 4 wounds with the big cannon on the Land Raider, overall firepower dropping it to 8 wounds. I wiped out 2 aggressors with shooting, and decided to challenge the overwatch and charge the last one with my Sekhmet and Herihor (who had periled, dropping him to 2 wounds remaining, so it was a big risk). At the same time, the Helbrute warp time bomb did work, getting it into range to charge the Lt and the Intercessors (hoping to lock them up and maybe keep them to protect the helbrute). With 4d6 auto-hits in overwatch, he got one more wound, killing the third Sekhmet (but no more). My Sekhmet sorcerer dropped the aggressor with a well timed strike of his force stave. Sadly, the Helbrute was not so lucky, only getting a single strike in for 3 wounds, failing to kill the Lt. It was left alone, in the middle of his entire right flank. I chose to discard assassinate at this point.
Turn 4:
[+] Expand
Salamanders: With the left flank lost (he had 3 reivers left, still in the building), his right flank spent nearly their entire firepower bringing the Helbrute down, even bringing the terminators from the Redeemer out. It went down hard, with the few remaining shots going into the Rubricae.

TSons: New Objectives: Secure 2 (right in the middle of my deployment) , Secure 1 (his side of center), Secure 3 (deep in his deployment), Defend 4 (in the middle of his right flank forces), Power of the Cabal (1 VP for every 2 powers cast in one turn)
My tank remained stationary, aiming to finish off the Redeemer, while the rest of my forces consolidated on their targets. I finished off the Reivers on the left flank, giving me total dominion of that side of the board, but leaving my Sekhmet and Herihor stranded (thank Tzeentch for +6" on psychic power range!). I whittled the Intercessors in the central building down to 1 and wiped out the sternguard, but that remaining model protected his characters. The Sicaran Venator obliterated the Redeemer, the main cannon finally managing to roll high, doing 11 wounds on the tank, removing it from play.

Power of the Cabal proved to be the game changing objective, as I was falling a shade behind on objectives, despite systematically dismantling his army. I was able to successfully manifest 8 of my 9 total attempts, getting 4 victory points.
Turn 5:
[+] Expand
Salamanders: To his credit, he pushed on, despite losing much of his forces. His warlord was finally in a position to push through the central building, but was just a shade too far to do anything, yet, so he supported the terminators with the Lt, while the cataphractii captain attempted to push up against the rubricae in the building. While he had a combi-grav to do some damage, he was unable to get within range of a charge up the building. He did whittle down the horror unit, dropping most of the brimstones, but was unable to do any more than token damage on the rest of my forces.

TSons: Objectives: Secure 1, Secure 3, Defend 4.
I critically neglected to pay attention to the turn number, as I was nowheres near a linebreaker push, still didn't have Slay the Warlord and lost First Blood early on. Herihor, my Sekhmet and the Tzaangor shaman (on a disc, so 12" move) made a break for his deployment, now that he moved to abandon it. I would be lucky to get there on turn 6 with some runs. I was able to drop the intercessor protecting his characters, but his cataphractii captain, who was out of line of sight, prevented me from aiming the Sicaran Venator at his Warlord, who was just a bit further away. instead, I threw the firepower at his terminators, only killing one. His Lt, however, was not protected from the forward position of his shaman, who blasted a force bolt through the window of the building, taking his head clean off.
My opponent rolled for game ending, and it continued. To turn 6 we go.

Turn 6:
[+] Expand
Salamanders: With only the Terminators, two captains and a drop pod remaining, he had a quick turn, consolidating the Terminators in the central building and charging forward with both characters. His Primaris captain had a long bomb 10" charge to make it up the building to the Rubricae, and his cataphractii captain had an 8-9" charge (we weren't exact, but it didn't matter). He managed to pull out an 11 on his Primaris captain's charge, but only rolled a 7 on his cataphractii captain. This left the Primaris captain forward and alone. However, he made a showing for himself, killing all remaining Rubricae except the sorcerer, who failed to damage him back. I fortunately passed my morale check with a 2.

TSons: Objectives: Secure 1, Defend 4.
Herihor, the Sekhmet and the Tzaangor shaman continued to move towards his deployment, however both ended shy by about 1-2" (the shaman, at least, landed on objective 1 for that). The Sicaran Venator pulled back, drawing a bead on the captain in the building, guided by Ahriman. True to the tank's reputation, the main cannon simply removed the captain from existence, doing 9 damage with the main cannon, granting me Slay the Warlord in the process.
I rolled for turn continuation, and rolled low. The game ended there.

The final score was 13-11 in favour of the Thousand Sons, all thanks to Power of the Cabal (in more ways than one, it seems!)

My old all-stars, the Tzaangors, utterly failed to be anything more than a distraction carnifex, which disappointed me, but, in turn, the Sekhmet Cabal terminators absorbed an unholy amount of firepower. I'd say my opponent's biggest weakness was a complete lack of both long ranged anti-tank firepower, and decent mid-level AP firepower to deal with the Rubricae and Sekhmet Cabal, which almost always had a 2+ save against his firepower. My Sicaran Venator was left completely alone to harass his Land Raiders with utter impunity. I'm super glad I have a second Sicaran Venator to build and paint!
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:31 am

Heh. I played against Thousand Sons today too. I ran my Ultramarines Spartan Phalanx in a foot vs foot match under the Contact Lost rules. My opponent tapped out on the bottom of turn 3 because I was up ahead by 5 points I kept shooting him off objectives so that he couldn't generate more. His army really needs to be more aggressive somehow.

- Apothecary did his job and kept bringing a hellblaster back to life.
- Reivers are meh, but they did what I told them to do which was be bullet sponges for the assault marines and the inceptors
- Inceptors were the MVP. They massacred whole squads and even Ahriman who ended up being left out in the open.
- I focused on his left flank as best I could using that big building in the middle to block line of sight on a good chunk of his army
- His poor terminators shouldn't have deep struck on top of the building which gave me vision to them. They got melted hard by all the plasma fire.

Damn you hill for giving me wobbly model syndrome!

Deathwatch205
Silver Vault Member

Post by Deathwatch205 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:53 am

How do you run your inceptors
2,000 points Deathwatch
1,850 points Blood Angels
1,000 points Astra militarum/Elysian drop troops

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:13 pm

Assault bolters in a 4 man squad. If I wanted to optimize my list more, I'd drop the reivers and take more inceptors, but rule of cool lol.

ln1000000
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ln1000000 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:42 am

2000 points.
BAngles vs DAngles.
Last minute planning (I have three kids after all) managed a game sunday (the 4th).

Game came down to Line Breaker at the bottom of the 7th, Dark Angels winning by 1 point.

I'm still proud of my list, but it's missing something. My first turn was terrible, his fourth turn was terrible (Captain Smash made 5 4++ to prevent a dreadnaught killing him).

My List (open to suggestions):
[+] Expand
Battalion
HQ
- Captain Artemis Coal (Cpt. Smash) - Angels Wing, Thunder Hammer, Artisan of War, Combi-Plasma
- The Sanguinor
TROOPS
- 3 x Scout Squads, Bolters, Missile Launcher, Chainsword on Searge.
FAST ATTACK
- Primaris Inceptor Squad - 2 Assault Bolters

Spearhead
HQ
-Captain - Storm Bolter, Power Sword, Veritas Vitae
-Librarian - Combi-Melta, Force Axe, Unleash Rage, Wings of Sanguinius, Jump Pack
HEAVY SUPPORT
-Devastator Squad - 4 Missile Launcher
-Devastator Squad - 2 Lascannon, 2 Heavy Bolter
-Predator - Predator Autocannon, 2 Las Sponsoon

Vanguard
HQ
- Lieutenant - Master Crafted Boltgun, Power Sword, Jump Pack
- Primaris Lieutenant - Power Sword
ELITES
- 2x 6 Death Company - Bolters, 2 Power fists, Chainswords
- Vanguard Veterans - Jump Pack, Storm Shields, Thunderhammers
His List (don't remember the detachments)
[+] Expand
HQ
Primaris Lieutentant
Lieutenant
Captain with jump pack and power fist
Ezekiel

Troops
Tactical squad, bolters, heavy bolter
2 x Scout squad, bolters

Elites
Contemptor Dreadnaught, assault cannon
Company Veterans, combi plamsa
Aggressor Squad

Heavy Support
Land Raider Redeemer
Hellblaster Squad

Fast Attack
Ravenwing Darkshroud

Flyer
Darktalon
My friend sets up his army in such a way that dropping his backline is impossible. Everything is within 9'' of each other, its really quite brilliant, forcing me to make smart drop decisions, which I'm struggling with.

My Librarian follows my Vanguard vets around giving them +1 attack, which blew up his landraider immediately.
Captain smash killed Ezekiel and took a Contemptor Dread down to 2 wounds.
I have no good mid push, my backline is strong and my front smash is strong. It was this lack of mid push that cost me the game as the middle was held by nothing but scouts, however, due to his shroud always being in good position, moving with heavy weapons turns a 4+ into a 5+ to hit so I basically stayed still.

What I was thinking was ditching the Primaris Lieutenant, the death company and adding a Redemptor Dread to move up the middle with my Intercessors. Adding Sanguinary Guard to my front line smash.

We also had a rules debate about FLY and vertical distances. I'm still unsure if Infantry with Fly measure vertical distances (diagonally or otherwise) when they are entering a ruin level (say 2, 3), or ignore it entirely, measuring horizontally only.
I saved Christmas.
8000pts of Blood Angels
3rd Edition Old Guard Veteran.

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:13 am

ln1000000 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:42 am
We also had a rules debate about FLY and vertical distances. I'm still unsure if Infantry with Fly measure vertical distances (diagonally or otherwise) when they are entering a ruin level (say 2, 3), or ignore it entirely, measuring horizontally only.
A model with fly may ignore terrain when moving. They do NOT ignore the fact that when measuring, no part of the model may move farther than the listed movement characteristic of the model. As such, they do NOT ignore vertical distances, but may measure diagonally, whereas a land-based model may have to move horizontally, then vertically.

Edit: To add, it may be argued that you cannot measure diagonally, as there is no provision for it (a model will still have to move as normal, thus over and up). Personally, I don't agree with this, as it should be common sense that these models can fly directly to their desired location, but be aware that some may attempt to argue the point.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

ln1000000
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ln1000000 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:38 am

Koonitz wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:13 am
A model with fly may ignore terrain when moving. They do NOT ignore the fact that when measuring, no part of the model may move farther than the listed movement characteristic of the model. As such, they do NOT ignore vertical distances, but may measure diagonally, whereas a land-based model may have to move horizontally, then vertically.
I think I'm just gonna default to diagonal since it's the halfway. House rule it.
It's the word "Across" that's confusing. Across clearly seems to indicate you can fly over buildings with ease, however, entering them seems to be a bit of a debate.
I saved Christmas.
8000pts of Blood Angels

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Whoops, we've been playing it where we just go the horizontal full distance no matter how tall the building is.

ln1000000
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ln1000000 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:44 am

Ronin wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:27 pm
Whoops, we've been playing it where we just go the horizontal full distance no matter how tall the building is.
I think this is fine when moving across a building, but not into it. Especially considering charge distance for assaulting up a level.
I saved Christmas.
8000pts of Blood Angels

Mach-Ten
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Mach-Ten » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:37 am

ln1000000 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:44 am
Ronin wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:27 pm
I think this is fine when moving across a building, but not into it. Especially considering charge distance for assaulting up a level.
My reading of the rules is as such
ACROSS Terrain
Movement for <FLY> ignoring terrain = 1
Movement for normal troops = 2

ONTO Terrain
Charging with <FLY> = 3
Moving and stopping on terrain across turns <FLY> = 4

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:31 am

That's all how I play except number 4. Turn 1 moving 6" onto the piece of terrain is correct, but on the second turn you don't have to move 3" forward before flying down. If you're going to move off the terrain piece then you can treat the terrain piece as if its not there, and simply fly straight through the terrain piece to your move end point. Like so:

Unless picture 4 was actually 3 turns worth of movement, in which case yes that's how I would move also.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:21 pm

I have to be honest, the Flying movement rules here are really immersion breaking. Are we really believing that Gunships are flying around 10' off the ground? 40k is a silly place.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Previously you could only hit them on 6's to simulate how high up they are, but then everyone cried about how broken it was, lol.

While we're on topic, I brought my Ultramarines Spartan Phalanx list against Death Guard and my opponent tapped out on the bottom of turn 2. To be fair, he said he was suffering a bad hangover too. xD

(Guilliman was not involved in the battle, but was just acting as the referee)

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:30 am

Had a 1,500 point game against my Space Wolf friend to help drag him out and motivate him into the hobby a bit more.

We played the Scouring as something simple and straight forward for him. Ahriman was preparing a ritual, set up on the confluence of multiple ley lines, discovered during the study of this ancient desert outpost by Herihor. However, time was of the essence, and the presence of a disruptive Space Wolf force was not helping....

We also decided to play with the new FAQ and beta rules. This did affect both of our armies, though him more than me. I do believe it did have a bit of a negative impact on his army because of it (see below for my comment on that).

Thousand Sons:
[+] Expand
Battalion

HQ
Ahriman (Prescience, Glamour, Weaver of Fates)
Herihor, sorcerer in Terminator armour (Warp Time, Death Hex, Warlord with Dark Matter Crystal)

TROOPS
10 Cultists (pistol/CCW)
10 Tzaangors (dual CCW)
10 Rubric Marines (Tzeentch's Firestorm)

FAST ATTACK
3x Tzaangor Enlightened (bows)

HEAVY
"Lacrimae Vetustatis" Land Raider Proteus (3x Twin Lascannon, Accursed Phylactory)
"Tantabus" Sicaran Venator (lascannon sponsons)
Hellforged Predator (Plasma destroyer, lascannon sponsons, havoc launcher)
Space Wolves
[+] Expand
Battalion + Outrider
HQ
(Outrider)Wolf Lord on Thunder Wolf (Thunder Hammer/Stormshield) (Warlord)
Njal (Don't remember names of powers, but the one that is -1 to hit, and the one that grants him a 6" cover aura)
Wolf Guard Battle Leader, or whatever the HQ version is (Relic sword/Stormshield)

TROOPS
5 Grey Hunters (Banner, flamer, power axe)
5 Grey Hunters (Plasma gun)
5 Blood claws (Flamer) - This unit used the stratagem that allowed them to outflank

FAST ATTACK
(Outrider) 3 Thunderwolf Cav (2x Frost Claw, 1 Thunder Hammer, 3x Stormshield)
(Outrider) 3 Thunderwolf Cav (2x Frost Claw, 1 Thunder Hammer, 3x Stormshield)
(Outrider) 15 Fenrisian Wolves + Cyberwolf

HEAVY SUPPORT
Stormfang Gunship (twin-multi-meltas/two lascannons) Grey Hunters with banner and Wolf Guard Battle Leader embarked inside
I don't really have much details for a turn-by-turn as I'm used to (it's late, and I'm lazy and don't want to).

My friend had quite a few proxies, as he hasn't built much of his army (he's just getting started, and it's a bit of a low priority in his list of hobbies, which is why I wanted to drag him out to get him playing a game or two to motivate him).

I don't have any pictures prior, or during the game, so I've included an overhead shot of the end of the game below, with the objectives, including superior and inferior, marked.

I was going to give him first turn, because I had a lascannon heavy list, and nothing good to shoot them at except the Stormfang. It was his first time playing with it, and I really didn't want to take it out before he even got to move it. However, I ended up going with a Spearhead assault deployment style (Hammer and anvil with the arrowhead, instead of straight line). This gave him the opportunity to deploy it far back, and ended up putting a large line-of-sight blocking terrain piece between it and my lascannons (that were pretty much all out of range, anyway).

As such, I didn't hold back. Despite him having the +1, I did end up going first and got first blood on one of his Thunderwolf cav units deployed poorly, within line of sight of all of my lascannons. Unfortunately for him, he also hasn't learned the fine art of "deploy aggressively and charge straight forward with everything you have on the first turn" yet. Despite the Stormfang being able to do so, nothing else of his was able to move up aggressively enough to threaten my lines (this, in part, was why I chose the Spearhead deployment, and deployed a little behind, giving him a bit of a no-man's land to charge through).

While I had 3 tanks for him to shoot at with the Stormfang, neither of us was terribly familiar with its damage output, so I wasn't able to advise him too much on great target priority. I also made it difficult by giving him three sub-optimal choices. A Land Raider Proteus, that would reduce the majority of his firepower to 4+ to wound (with saves), a Sicaran Venator with Glamour and Weaver of Fates, or a Predator in cover. Not wishing to risk the -1 to hit and 5+ invulnerable, he went with the Predator with everything, and annihilated it handily with just the Hellfrost Destructor (had I known its overall damage output, I'd have suggested the Land Raider Proteus, as it's definitely the highest damage output tank in my list, and the biggest threat to the flyer).

I was, however, able to follow up, and destroy the Stormfang and everything inside (which gave me my favourite moment in the game). However, because of the dense terrain on his side of the board, he was able to move the rest of his forces in such a way that the majority of my army could not engage his Wolf lord, fenrisian wolves or thunderwolf cav, leaving me open to being hit by a second wave.

My favourite moment. With the Stormfang gone, his battle leader had to pile out. I was able to annihilate the grey hunters, but had to engage the character in melee. However, he didn't have a suitable model at this time, so we ended up using a tree on a base to proxy. So, with a mighty battle cry of "GET THE TREE!" my cultists and Tzaangors did battle with shrubbery.
[+] Expand
You can even see one super-excited Tzaangor who's head over heels trying to get that relic sword (branch?).
I was able to take down the battle leader. However, this put me far too forward, giving him an easy charge with both the wolf lord and the fenrisian wolves. The pack of wolves were also able to push forward and engage my Tzaangor Enlightened, which had moved forward to screen my Sicaran Venator. This proved a critical error, as the wolves were just able to reach (they actually failed their charge on them, but succeeded on the Tzaangors, which mean with the charge move and follow up pile-in, they were able to engage them, and fight them). From there, they consolidated into the Sicaran Venator, locking it up in combat. This was also when the Blood Claws came in, behind, in striking distance of both Ahriman and Herihor, however they failed to get their charge off (one screaming blood claw did remember he had a bolt pistol and bloodied Ahriman with a well-placed, or at least highly unpredictable, shot, then later bloodied Herihor with a flamer in overwatch as he charged in).

** It wasn't a terrible time for the Blood Claws to appear, however I had more than enough manpower to deal with them. Had, however, the Blood Claws come in on turn 1, it might have been a little more disruptive to me. Then again, I had a screen of cultists still covering Ahriman and Herihor at that time, so maybe not....

The Sicaran, which started to the left (below) my central 'bunker' building, fell out of combat and, with the help of a sling shot from Herihor warp timing, flew all the way to the right (top) of the board between the rock formation and sandstone hill. This was to give me a bit of crossfire due to the second Thunder Wolves hiding in the corner of the low center building (being completely out of line of sight). I needed them to commit so I could use my Dark Matter Crystal to send my Rubrics (who were on the second floor of my bunker building, safe from the thunderwolf cav) behind his lines to go for the superior objective.

However, with him rapidly losing forces (I wiped his fenrisian wolves to a man, but failed to finish his Wolf Lord off; The Land Raider hit with 5 lascannons, ONE wounded, failing to beat his Stormshield), he opted to hold the Thunderwolf Cav back to go for the superior objective, and the Grey Hunters he had been moving (they abandoned the inferior objective) were going to fall back to his rear-field objective. This meant when I committed my infantry to his rear lines, his Thunderwolves were able to counter charge (I probably should have fired everything at them, instead of the Grey Hunters, hind-sight and all.... Oh well). In the end, he wiped out my rubrics, made the aspiring sorcerer flee, and kept hold of the superior objective.

In addition, with a bit of blinding luck on Njal's part (he was tucked away behind the wrecked Rhino, holding that mid-field objective), he managed to hold that objective as well. I had 3 Tzaangors left after finally killing his Wolf Lord with Death Hex and, effectively, a heavy bolter (he had 3 wounds left, the heavy bolter did 1, the Malignatas Beam Laser (which does 2d6 damage) did 2). They were pushing Njal's objective, so he risked Njal being in the open, able to be fired upon by the Sicaran Venator, to kill the Tzaangors, which would have claimed the objective over him. He did, then the Sicaran let me down. One lascannon missed, the other failed to wound, and the big cannon bounced off his 4+ invulnerable. This gave Njal time to duck behind the Rhino for cover, out of line of sight (but still holding the objective). The Land Raider was also too close to the Thunderwolf Cav to fire on Njal.

At this point, the game ended on turn 5 with me rolling a 1. He claimed 6 points for objectives, I claimed 4 + First Blood + Slay the Warlord, for a tie.

Njal had successfully disrupted and delayed Ahriman's sorcerous ritual just long enough, despite dwindling manpower. He may not have won, but he pissed Ahriman off, which is a victory in and of itself. With the fated time of his ritual past, and Herihor demanding they depart without risking further loss, Ahriman acquiesced. He fell back with Herihor's remaining tanks, allowing the Space Wolves to reclaim their fallen. Vengeance was not had for Prospero, this time*.

* Seriously, I even used the stratagem "Vengeance for Prospero" and Veterans of the Long War on the Rubrics against the Thunderwolf Cav. Final tally reaped for vengeance? 1 wound. Not even this stratagem can hope to help the Thousand Sons against Thunderwolf Cavalry in close combat! Lesson learned.

Overhead, final result:
[+] Expand
Edit: Turns out I still wrote a lot... That was a mess!
Armies:

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:51 pm

My friend wanted to get some tournament level practice going since he's never done one before so I brought the meanest Ultramarines list I could think of which included Guilliman, 4 assault cannon razorbacks, 3 predators, 1 vindicator, and plasma tactical squads in eacb transport. We played on the Nova Open map set up, but ran that one variant of tactical objectives with kill points included. The first best of 3 series ended in 7 minutes (we timed it with a chess clock) after I seized initiative and focus fired on his anti tank and crippled him hard to the point he surrendered on my turn. We did a rematch right after where he went first and it we played onto turn 4. It was not as one sided since his trygons, genestealers, and hive tyrant did disrupt and destroy some razorbacks and my vindicator was harassed by warriors and zoanthropes, but he was still tabled in the end.

(Was proxying the rhinos as razorbacks)