So how did your last game go, 8TH EDITION! (Or other games, of course!)

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: So how did your last game go, 8TH EDITION! (Or other games, of course!)

Post by Arnathos » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:51 pm

They changed the order rules for tank commanders? Used to be you could only issue to normal russes with the index. I guess I need to shell out for the new 'dex at some point!
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:04 pm

"Tank Orders: "This model can issue one order each turn to a friendly <REGIMENT> LEMAN RUSS at the start of your shooting phase. To issue a tank order, pick a target LEMAN RUSS within 6" of this model and choose which order you wish to issue from the table to the right. Each LEMAN RUSS can only be given a single order each turn."

Nothing on being restricted regarding characters now. You can even order yourself. :)

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:34 pm

That sounds like a pretty brutal game Ronin. I’ve been using the Krieg Rules mainly, and while they are a little toned down compared to regular Guard, they are still pretty strong.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Speaking of which, here are some fx laden images from my last game.

My buddy wanted to use as many daemonic units as possible, so it was all Daemon Princes and Bloodletters. I’d pretty much curtailed his ability to be effective by the end of turn two though. It was pretty brutal. Some of the models are a bit Slaaneshi, so just be warned it may be a little nsfw.
[+] Expand

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:12 pm

I want that app, but I have an android. :\

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:19 pm

Ronin wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:12 pm
I want that app, but I have an android. :\
It’s a lot of fun, maybe there is a similar app on Android instead?

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:44 pm

Tried a couple, but they're not as good.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:52 pm

Took my Rolling Dragon list out for a try again and this time I got a taste of what it was like to fight my own men. xD My opponent brought Ultramarines that were proxied as Space Wolves with Grey Knights (and Voldus) and guard. Apparently, I was accused of some extreme case of heresy and had to prove my innocence by trial of combat. We rolled one of the new Maelstrom missions where you have to discard all your ongoing objectives at the start of the turn and I got to choose vanguard deployment since I knew he would try to deep strike and flank pretty heavily. Bottom of round 1, he brings his units down, but having saw this coming, I castled up and blasted his wulfen and grey knights off the table while harassing units with my valkyries. We called the game on turn 3.

I think what he could have done differently was hold his reserves until later since I would have been paranoid about pushing up and getting flanked and this would have given him some breathing room to take objectives.

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by blippityblip » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:36 pm

played a game today, my second of 8th edition, was T'au against my Nurgle chaos space marines, we played 70pl each and just a good old fashioned objectives at end of battle game, unfortunatley for me i lost, we both had two objectives and contested one but he had first blood and slay the warlord, should have gone my way if either my daemon prince hadn't periled when using smite and killing himself (failing to kill the T'au commander while he was at it) or if my maulerfiend didnt fail the 5 inch charge (i rolled double ones i believe). my stars of the day were a squad of cultists that killed 2 stealth suits before appearing behind the T'au lines using tide of traitors and eating through 2 fire warrior squads and a fireblade (they had a little help, but they did the lions share of the work) and one of my possessed who refused to die when two crisis teams targetted him.

all in all im really enjoying 8th edition, i just wish they put all the unit stats in the back of the book for quick reference
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:31 am

Me and my buddy continued our Planetary Empires game this week. We are using a home brew (trimmed down) version of the rules, as the old ones are, well, old. Slowly we are going to add complexity to it, but for now we just want it to work.

Anyway, the basic gist is this, if you seize an empty tile, you get to take an adjacent empty one. If you hold a space port, you can attack any tile on the board, otherwise you can only take ones next to your flags.

The hive city tile means battles will be fought using HoR Kill Team Rules.

Last nights game was the second in the campaign. The previous week saw my opponent (using his new Tau army) take an empty space port, and the tile adjacent. This week, I had a choice, I could take open ground and seize two tiles, or I could go for the empty space port that was already surrounded by my little blue flags. I decided the Space Port would be a more strategic asset, and sent a sizeable force to bring it back under the control of the Imperium.

For the Emperor!

The game itself was rather brief, we were both trying out new units, with my friend trying a Riptide for the first time, and me using a Heavy Mortar and a couple of Cyclops Demolition Tanks.
[+] Expand
We played the Sealed Orders mission from Chapter Approved, it’s fun in that your orders are secret, but it does let you rack up lots of points early on. By the end of Turn 2, I’d scored a whole bunch of objectives, and he was still languishing on 1. He put a lot of effort into killing my Primaris Psyker (proxied by an astropath) with a bunch of stealth suits and a commander trying in vain to kill his protection squad of Bullgryn. Those slab shields really make those ogres tough as old nails.

I had also crippled his army somewhat, his Riptide had been blown to kingdom come by a sneaky little Cyclops tank, and his Stormsurge had had the wind taken out of it by a volley of shots from the turret of my Demolisher command tank. And so he conceded at the top of turn 3. The Space Port was mine...for now.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:51 am

I love those tiles. I'd probably decrease the territories to 12 just to make your game feel like it has more swing factor. One issue these players had (and MWG) was their campaign felt they were just chipping away at the enemy rather than do damage or make epic come backs.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:20 am

Yeah I’m not sure what made me go with 16 in the end, seems to be working ok so far though.

Deathwatch205
Silver Vault Member

Post by Deathwatch205 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:33 am

Just finished a game against Eldar. I ran Imperial guard and after 6 rounds I emerged victorious 28-0.
2,000 points Deathwatch
1,850 points Blood Angels
1,000 points Astra militarum/Elysian drop troops

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:15 am

Played a game of Adeptus Custodes vs Deathguard only. Wish it was more interesting of a game but unfortunately was just a slaughter. was 1500 points v 1500 points and the Deathguard only managed to kill 2 Custodes, take of 8 of the Land Raiders wounds, and injure another Custode while losing pretty much his entire list.

Been really enjoying their codex so far, but seems that if you aren't prepared for it that they have been really rough for people to deal with.
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

ln1000000
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ln1000000 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:47 pm

Played the usual 2000pts vs my Dark Angels friend who tailored a list to defeat mine (I was informed ahead of time).
The game was a massacre on both our sides, very little bodies remaining. I ended up being tabled on turn 6.

Great game, we were even on VP all game until the last turn.
I learned a great deal and I'm very proud of my list.

DON'T DROP AGGRESSORS... and then charge them afterwards. That was a terrible tactical mistake.
I saved Christmas.
8000pts of Blood Angels
3rd Edition Old Guard Veteran.