So how did your last game go, 8TH EDITION! (Or other games, of course!)

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Kaneda13
Bronze Vault Member

Re: So how did your last game go, 8TH EDITION! (Or other games, of course!)

Post by Kaneda13 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:25 pm

1000 point World Eaters (my son) vs 1000 point Word Bearers (mine)

Was a really close battle, until my son "Quirked". He had just used his Berserkers to finish off the Bloodletters I had summoned to deal with one of his Helbrutes, and his turn ended with a crippled Helbrute, a Warpsmith and a nearly complete unit of berserkers all piled up on the dead bodies of a unit of my Bloodletters. My havoc team managed to finish off the Helbrute in the following turn. When he Helbrite finally dropped, of course he rolled a 6, detonating the Helbrute. He command pointed the roll, and got another 6. This removed the Helbrute, all 8 of the remaining Berserkers, and took his already wounded Warpsmith down to 1 wound. This unfortunately sealed his fate, and I was able to mop up what was left of his army with my forces over the next turn. Our first full 1000 point battle on our gaming table, and a definitive victory for dad!

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:39 am

So, I played another game on Sunday. 1,500 points this time, as the SloGro I'm in progresses to month three.

Not much details, 'cause I'm still heartbroken. Lost my Rhino for the first time in 11 games.... To a first turn charge by cult acolytes that rolled a 6 to their cult infiltration.

Sad sphinx is sad...
[+] Expand
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Litanyoffury
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Litanyoffury » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:44 pm

I got annihilated by ad mech, playing at 50 power points, turn 3 I had 3 out of 4 objectives then his infiltrators wiped out my inceptors in some mega lucky dice rolling and my warlord got taken out by his exploding dune crawler and that's when it all unravelled for me xD
It's grim? It's dark? Sounds like my thing .....

ln1000000
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ln1000000 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:03 am

1000pts Blood Angels vs Necrons.

Necrons went first. His first turn was poor and no damage dealt.
Blood Angels first turn went very well.

That was the end of the good luck for me.

Second turn almost every Necron that died came back, and I was now in rapid fire range. I fought a losing battle until I was tabled top of Turn 5.
We both had a blast though, great time.
I saved Christmas.
8000pts of Blood Angels
3rd Edition Old Guard Veteran.

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by coldsteel » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:22 pm

ln1000000 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:03 am

Second turn almost every Necron that died came back, and I was now in rapid fire range. I fought a losing battle until I was tabled top of Turn 5.
You got to eliminate entire units. Can't leave dribs and drabs...
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

ln1000000
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by ln1000000 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:04 am

coldsteel wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:22 pm
ln1000000 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:03 am

You got to eliminate entire units. Can't leave dribs and drabs...
Biggest tactical mistake I made was throwing my death company at his Destroyers, I should have whipped them at his warriors. I killed all but 2 destroyers, but he rolled extremely well for reanimation, so they simply exited combat and shot them off the table.

It was a learning game so I went a little easy on my opponent, next game I'll pull out some tricks.
I saved Christmas.
8000pts of Blood Angels
3rd Edition Old Guard Veteran.

darkninja107
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by darkninja107 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:15 pm

My LGS started an Escalation League and my first level run (500 points) was VERY successful! I went with Orks.

My list was:
30 boy blob with PK Boss Nob
12 boys with 10 Shootas a big shoota and a Boss Nob w/Big Choppa and Kustom Shoota in a Trukk with Rokkit Launcha
Warboss with Big Choppa, Kustom Shoota and Attack Squig
Mek Gun with Kustom Mega-Kannon and 5 Grot Gunners.

My first game was against a Chaos list. He ran 2 five man Berserker squads, Kharn, and 2 Rhinos.
He took first turn and moved both rhinos filled with his army up behind a building.
My first turn was advancing up and shooting the shootas at one Rhino and shooting the Rhino with Kharn and one squad with the KMK to strip a couple of wounds off.
In his second turn he disembarked everything and tried to charge my blob with all his units. He only got one Berserker Squad in and the rest failed. My Boyz erased the Berserkers from the board.
My second turn I sent my Warboss into combat against Kharn and killed him (epic!). Then the Shoota Boyz chewed up the other Berserkers. The rest of the game was just my orks destroying the Rhinos and I tabled him in the 4th turn.

Second game I played a Thousand Sons list. He had only 10 Pink Horrors, Ahriman on a Disk, and a Thousand Sons Contemptor Dreadnought.
I seized first turn and my KMK brought his Dreadnought down to 2 wounds!
His first turn he just warptimed the dreadnought to move 4" twice (it was badly damaged).
On my second turn I blew up the Dreadnought and the Contanment Breach rule hit his Psykers pretty hard. Ahriman took 4 Mortal Wounds and so did the Pink Horrors. Then the blob charged Ahriman and killed him then I tabled him in my 3rd turn.

Third game was against a Guard list. He had some Melta Scions, the Callidus Assassin, a Primaris Psyker, a 10 man Infantry squad, and a Battle Tank.
He was able to take out my Warboss with the Scions Deep Striking in. His Assassin went after my Grot Gunners, but only killed 3. My Blob killed his Scions and the Assassin was killed by the KMK. His Psyker died from Perils on a snake eyes (he re-rolled with CP and still got a 1). My Shoota Boyz killed the Infantry squad and he conceded since the Tank was left.

My fourth game was against Sisters of Battle and thankfully the had more Meltaguns in his list than Flamers. I tabled him in 4th turn.

Overall the Blob of Boyz was hard for the 500 point lists to deal with and dice rolls were in my favor. I expect a lot more trouble in the next level at 750 points. I had a lot of fun though and I was happy my Warboss was able to kill Kharn!

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:05 pm

My last game was 1500pts tyranids vs. grey knights.
The mission was ‘no mercy’
My list was:
1 brotherhood champion
1 dreadknight grand master
2 5-man strike squads
1 10- man terminator squad
1 storm raven

My opponent had:
1 tervigon
1 malacepter(sp?)
1 20-man genestealer brood
2 30-man termaguant broods
1 3-man warrior brood
2 carnifexes
1 exocrine
1 trygon prime

My turn one I was able to take down the tervigon, and engage one of his carnifexes with a combat squad of terminators.
His turn one, he engaged my dreadknight with one of his guant units, and the genestealers (this combat lasted for 3 turns). Also was able to take out almost half of my storm raven’s wounds with the exocrine.
My turn two, my brotherhood champion engaged the 2nd carnifex(both failed to wound the other), my other terminators were able to get into combat with the exocrine, after my storm raven took out 8 of it’s wounds from shooting. And the strike squads killed some termaguants.
His turn two, the genestealers managed to take my dreadknight down to 4 wounds. The carnifex brought the brotherhood champion down to 1 wound. Warriors shot on the raven, but didn’t do anything. Trygon was shot at a strike squad, but was too far away to charge.
Turn 3, the terminators that killed the exocrine teleported over to the trygon, and after the raven weakened it, killed it in combat. The dreadknight fell back from the genestealers, allowing one of my strike squads, and the raven’s hurricane bolters to take them out. My other terminator squad was able to engaged the warriors in combat. And my brotherhood champion killed the carnifex with a very lucky vortex of doom roll. After which my opponent conceded, giving victory to the grey knights.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:02 pm

I keep forgetting to take pictures, but I had two more games. Not much for details.

First one was against Death Watch, again. We played Contact Lost (Maelstrom). Game ended turn 5, all he had left was a Primaris Librarian. Tzaangors claimed credit for a Whirlwind and nearly a whole squad of Death Watch marines (I was able to manage a 6" charge range while staying out of 8" of both frag cannons that were in the front line).

Second was against Tyranids. Big Guns Never Tire (Trygon Prime VS Sicaran Venator). First game to lose my Sicaran Venator, and it was to a stupid, stupid mistake. Trygon Prime on 4 wounds left, locked with 2 Tzaangors with 5 Screamers charging in. I decided to charge the tank for a bit of insurance and to maybe get lucky, get a kill, and maybe get a wound back. He spent 2 command points to go before my Screamers could attack (I swung with the tank first like an idiot), destroying my tank... We were both fairly even until the bottom of 5th (two objectives each, him with the First Blood tie breaker). I pushed off one objective to get psychics within range of his Swarmlord as I needed slay the warlord to tie his First Blood (neither of us were getting line breaker). In the end, I fell back out of combat with the Horrors, onto his second objective, claiming it with weight of numbers, and also killing the Swarmlord. Notable in this battle was that only ONE of my many smites ever did more than 1 mortal wound (it was a super-smite, doing 5). Tzaangors claim credit for killing the Swarmlord.

Tzaangors with Tzaangor blades. 70 point all-stars, let me tell you (and I know I have told you, on every one of my posts in this thread, so far!). They have Lysander, a Dark Angel Interrogator Chaplain, a Death Watch Librarian, a Vindicator tank, Whirlwind tank, the Swarmlord and myriad infantry to their name. I want another 10 and another Rhino, for sure...
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:57 am

I recently played my first game of 8th edition against my brother. It's been really fun and I liked how easy it was to handle the game mechanics. He played T'au against my combined army of Space Wolves and Adeptus Mechanicus. We decided to go with 1500 points for the first match. I don't know all the correct words for some of the units or weapons, so bear with me using my own words to describe a few things. It's also been the first time for us to use completly painted armies!

A rough description of the armies, I might have forgotten some things:

T'au
[+] Expand
Batallion Detachment
HQ
- cadre fireblade
- commander with 2 T'au equivalent of melta guns, 2 bodyguarddrones (don't remember if those were markerdrones) and drone controller

Troop
- 3 units of 10 firewarriors

Elite (I guess)
- 1 unit of 3 crisis suits with 2 burst cannons (I believe that's what they are called) each and 1 markerdrone
- 1 unit of 3 crisis suits with 3 plasmaguns (no idea what they are called) each and 1 markerdrone

Heavy Support
- 1 unit of 3 broadsides with railguns (I guess) and 2 smart missile systems each, also two more bodyguarddrones (perhaps markerdrones, not sure, died too fast)

VS

Space Wolves & Adeptus Mechanicus
[+] Expand
Batallion Detachment
HQ
- Arjac Rockfist
- Lieutenant

Troops
- 1 unit of 5 Blood Claws, no upgrades
- 1 unit of 9 Grey Hunters & 1 Wolf Guard, 2 plasmaguns
- 1 unit of 10 Skitarii Rangers, 2 arc Rifles, 1 omnispex

Elite
- 1 unit of 5 Wolf Guard Terminators with shields and hammers
- 1 Eversor Assassin
- 1 Venerable Dreadnought with axe and shield

Heavy Support
- 1 unit of 5 Long Fangs, 4 Lascannons

Outrider Detachment

HQ
- Wolf Priest with Jumppack

Fast Attack
- 1 unit of 5 Fenrisian Wolves
- 1 unit of 5 Skyclaws, 1 power sword, 1 flamer
- 1 Sydonian Dragoon

We rolled for missions and got the one where you can achieve "objectiv secured" missions of the enemy. I believe it's called "Spoils of war" in english, but I might be wrong.
Normaly we divide the table into 6 segments, roll a d3 for each of them and start placing terrain on each segment according to the number rolled. This time we decided to simply build an interesting looking battlefield.
[+] Expand
After deployment it looked like this:
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
My brother kept his Crysis suits and his Commander in reserve. I did the same for Arjac, the Terminators, the Assassin, the Skyclaws and the Wolfpriest. He got first turn, his suits and the commander arrived next to my Blood Claws and Skitarii on my left flank. They managed to annihilate the unit of Skitarii and killed all but one Blood Claw, who refused to flee from the battlefield!
The rest of his shooting was rather unspectacular. His Broadsides took a whole bunch of wounds from my Dragoon (I believe all but one or two) but didn't manage to kill a single one of my Long Fangs with their smart missiles, due to lack of AP on these weapons (as my Long Fangs were in cover and therefore upgraded their armour to a 2+).

On my first turn my Terminators, alongside Arjac, teleported themselfs in front of the Broadsides. You can see the unpleasant view of the broadsides in the next picture. The firewarriors there were trying to defend an objectiv represented by the dice amongst them. My unit of Skyclaws were hidden behind those containers, as they could easily jump over them to get into close combar and at the same time deny my opponent any overwatch.
[+] Expand
My Eversor decided to go after the other firewarriors, as I deemed the Crysis Suits too dangerous for him and I wanted to keep those guys busy.
[+] Expand
My Lascannons were able to take out one of the Broadsides. I was quite on the lucky side then, as my Terminators managed to get into cc with the broadsides, killing one of them. The Skyclaws and the Wolfpriest even managed to get into cc with the firewarriors. Only Arjac remained left behind. The rerolls my Terminators and Skyclaws gained through my Wolfpriest were REALLY gamechanging!
[+] Expand
My eversor lived through the hail of overwatch of about 60 rifleshots from the firewarriors, who combined their overwatch. Forgot to shoot with my Eversor first turn, but killed a few enemys in cc. He was finally brought down in my brothers third turn, I believe. He managed to kill nearly a whole unit of firewarriors, but more importantly kept those two units busy for about 3 turns.
[+] Expand
Arjac decided to go after the Crisis Suits and the Commander, together with my Dreadnought. The Fenrisian Wolves moved along the flank towards the objective nr.5 at the containers, which the terminators and skyclaws were able to defend for a turn, and then was taken over by the Wolves for the second consecutive turn to gain me some needed points. In the end they finished of the lonely Firewarrior, who my Priest wasn't able to kill.
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
If I remember correctly, my dreadnought was able to kill a few (but by far not enough) Crysis Suits before it got gunned down. Arjac finished of the remaining ones, but got quickly shot by the T'au Commander with it's meltaguns. D6 damage a piece is really nothing to sneer at, even with a resilient charachter like Arjac.

By the end of turn 5 my brother would have won a minor victory, points being at 12 vs 13 I guess. But luckily the dicegods were on my side and we got a 6th turn. During that turn I managed to get a whole bunch of points and finish his Commander off. An important shot was done by my Wolfpriest, who killed the last Bodyguarddrone with his boltpistol, opening the Commander to the fire of my Grey Hunters and my Long Fangs (the latter were supported by my Lieutenant for the whole match).
In turn 7 (yeah, we got a turn 7! :D ) my lascannons shot the last Firewarriors out of the ruins and my Terminators + Wolfpriest ganged up on the Cadre Fireblade and finished him off.
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
It was a very fun game for the both of us! Without the additional turns I would have lost the game by a small margin. My most memorable unit was the Wolf Priest. His rerolls REALLY helped out a lot! Hitting on 4+ with the Thunderhammers is really a problem if you don't get any rerolls. And with his jumppack he was always able to get directly where he was needed!
The most useless unit turned out to be my Sydonian Dragoon. But I have to admit that I placed him wrong so all he did for the whole game was run from one end of the board to the other, while being shot at and finally killed, before even getting the chance off being at any use.
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

SlipperyPeteED
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by SlipperyPeteED » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:55 am

Well me and my friends are new to the game and have small detachments so we have been playing domination (thats kill until nothing is left i think).
anyway it went well. tao Pathfinder team + crisis battlesuit vs chaos space marines + chaos raptors. it went quite well actually. we are still figuring out the rules but so far its a ton of fun. i won (only by RNG tho) it got really close and a bit heated lol. anyway we were using homemade terrain and unpainted models. had a ton of fun and are looking into getting the scenarios card pack.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:12 am

Looks like an awesome game, I really like the look of the battle mat. Where was it from?

I played a narrative game this week against my regular Chaos opponent. We organised which mission we would play in advance so as to coordinate relevant lists etc. So we used the matrix in the BRB campaign section. We ended up playing Meat Grinder, with me attacking, and him defending.

It was a really good game with my small force of Eldar crashing against his lines like a fierce storm. My Wraithfighter finally got to see some action, and while she wasn’t as devastating as I had been led to expect, she was still very effective, especially against Space Marine Troops.

He brought a bastion and a defence line, which both took AA guns, so the fighter was a prime target for them. He filled the bastion with cultists, and left the Marines to weather the storm.

By the end of turn 4 I had killed most of the Marines, as well as destroying the Bastion, however, the cultists managed to evade my forces through the end of turn 5, and won him the game. It was a very enjoyable mission.

Here are some pictures...
[+] Expand

The next mission will be “sabotage” which looks really interesting.

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:47 pm

Had a friendly game against some Admech yesterday. It was pretty scary, but it ended up a pretty close game! My eldar army was mostly bright lances, so I was able to pop all of his walkers and his destroyers pretty readily. The reapers whittled down a few units but never outright killed anything. Mvp was probably the night spinner or the war walkers. The spinner sat back in the corner out of line of sight and just obliterated any infantry on the field. Killed two small units turns 1 and 2 and the helped soften up the walkers for the lances. The war walkers were guided and kitted with all bright lances so they were pretty brutal. With fortune on them it took his entire army a full round of shooting to wipe them, which was pretty surprising to me. Fortune doesn't seem like much on paper, but it sure made a big difference this game! I ended up losing by about 10 power worth of kills, but there was a chance for me to win right up until the end, so it felt really close.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Rouven » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:49 pm

General-Kroll wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:12 am
Looks like an awesome game, I really like the look of the battle mat. Where was it from?
Yes, it was. Even if I was tabled...

The mat is from Tablewar/Frontline Gaming. However, they discontinued their cooperation, so it might be hard to find these mats. See https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2016/12 ... part-ways/
Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator
Dark Angels: Cypher
Shadespire: Spiteclaw's Swarm (5)

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:27 am

Continued the little matrix campaign that I have going with my buddy last night. He won the last game (Meat Grinder) where I had caught his forces unawares. He just about survived with a squad of cultists, so we agreed that he’d get them for free this game.

He scenario this week, was Sabotage. In a counter strike, his forces had located a Wraithknight that was undergoing repairs. My forces had to defend it until a bonesinger (man I’d love to have that sweet sweet LE model) arrived and sorted out the damage. His mission was to plant explosives on it and bring it down.
[+] Expand
We used the Sabotage mission from the BRB so I needed to set up sentries. I used a squad of Guardians for this, dotting them around the perimeter.

He massed his forces, then I deployed the rest of the force. We both had the option to keep units in reserve, I kept two squads back, some Harlequins and some more Guardians. He chose to just deploy everything he had, this proved to be his undoing.

In the first turn, he managed to kill a couple of my sentries, without raising the alarm, like this dude...
[+] Expand

However, his cultists failed to kill one of the sentries in the figh phase and this triggers the alarm, allowing me to flank my reserves, and to are the remainder of his turn away from him. This meant three of my sentries could duck out of the fights they were in as they hadn’t taken any hits yet.

By the end of turn one, I’d wiped out half of his troops. The massed shuriken Fire, coupled with bombardments from my Artillery guns, left him reeling.
[+] Expand
He made a good fist of a fight back in turn two, and even managed to get his Warp Talons close enough to plant a bomb on the wraithknight.
But by the end of turn two, he only had a squad of terminators left on the board. (This is why there are so few photos, it all seemed to happen very quickly.)

In turn three, the terminators tried in vain to reach the wraithknight, but their lumbering armour held them back, and my swift and deadly Harlequin Troupes and Solitaire closed in for the decisive kill. I also used the “snip the wires” strategem that allowed me to disarm the bomb his Warp Talons had placed.

At the end of the game, my opponent rolled a dice to see what would have happened had he managed to place a bomb. He needed a 7+ on a D6, each bomb would add 1 to the dice roll. He rolled a 6, so agonisingly, had the terminators placed their bomb he would have won the game.

We’ve not sorted out the next scenario yet, but I’m looking forward to it. The narrative missions in the 8th edition book are great. I’m hoping that there are new ones released in the Chapter approved book to keep things fresh.

:D