So how did your last game go, 8TH EDITION! (Or other games, of course!)

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

So how did your last game go, 8TH EDITION! (Or other games, of course!)

Post by Koonitz » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:55 am

With the success of the previous "So how did your last game go" thread, and with how excited people are for 8th, with several people lining up 'first games' already, I thought I'd start a new thread for people to post their game recaps for 8th Edition! Of course, people should feel free to post reports for other 40k game systems, such as Shadow War.

I've got nothing yet, but being part of a slow-grow league that's going to start with 8th Ed, I'm sure I'll have plenty to regale you guys with in the coming months. Let's hear your tales of bloody battle!

Be as long-winded (with as many pictures) as you like, though I recommend if you are picture heavy, you use the 'spoiler' tag for your pictures! Keeps the thread neat and tidy.
Last edited by Koonitz on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: So how did your last game go, 8TH EDITION!

Post by Koonitz » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:18 am

Ronin wrote:What if I played Shadow War? :P
Get out, scrub. But post your Shadow War report, first.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: So how did your last game go, 8TH EDITION! (Or other games, of course!)

Post by Kalidas » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:02 pm

So I had my first 2 8th edition games this last week with my girlfriend(she's a dark eldar player who didn't play in 7th so this was all different to her)

First one was just a demo game of 25 PLvl DG vs the new Primaris marines. I had to concede when my DP blew himself up with perils and had to pick my son up from daycare.

Second game was a more legit game. 50 PLvl my DG vs her Dark Eldar, I did the nice boyfriend thing and for her the triumvirate of Yenead. So she built the Yncarne(asada lol) and ran her eldar as Ynari(I that the name?) Except her harliquins who stayed basic for the rising crescendo ability.

Her list: I may get some things wrong as to what is what so correct as needed.

HQ:
Yncarn (warlord)
Lilithe

Troops:
Warriors
Wyches ×2
Harliquins

Elite:
Helions

My list

HQ:
Daemon Prince with wings(warlord)
Typhus

Troops:
Plague marines(in rhino)
Plague marines(in rhino)
Pox walkers (20 of them)

Fast Attack:
Chaos spawn×2

So notes... harliquins beats up one of my units of plague marines... like bad. Blew a tank up and killed the rest of the squad in melee...

My DP assaulted Lilithe turn one (WARP TIME!)
My spawn killed a unit of wyches which brought the Yncarne on the field. Luckily I was able to use my spawn as a screen to keep my Prince safe from being assaulted.

She destroyed the spawn and the next turn I killed Lilithe when that happened I consolidated away but she used Strength from Death to have her Yncarne assault the Prince... He died :(.

BUT Typhus and my second group of plague marines killed the Yncarne (smite and plague launchers!).

It ended with me tabling her.

I like the new rules and how smooth the game runs now. We both had a bunch of fun and really enjoyed the game. I am kinda wondering if daemon princes are worth it, maybe a sorcerer? Smite is awesome, mortal wounds are the future!

Plague launchers are pretty awesome too. But yeah I think I like the list.

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Horray!
Armies:

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:29 pm

Koonitz wrote:Horray!
LOL

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:31 am

Your batrep was a lot of fun to read, I really enjoyed it, General-Kroll! Thanks a lot for it! The pictures made it really vivid!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:26 pm

Seriosuly nice batrep, I could learn a lot from you lol ;)

MarkOfNotch
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by MarkOfNotch » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:37 pm

Chaos Space Marines vs Chaos Daemons, played the Blitz narrative scenario. I was the defender my opponent the attacker. We play 2000 points.

So Chaos Daemons get a lot of bang for their buck in terms of model count and he had a good few fast units. The scenario was incredibly cinematic with all my units dug in in ruins and behind barricades with this huge wave of Daemons just rolling across the field. It looked amazing, like a real last stand. Unfortunately a combination of some poor choices in deployment and very poor dice rolling meant I didn't hurt him enough in Turn 1 and 2. I was always going to need to have dealt a lot of damage before he reached my lines and I just didn't do enough. The momentum he got from getting all those charges at once turned the game. Once he got those charges off in my first line deployment zone I couldn't do enough close combat damage to dislodge him, and he was scoring victory points for every unit that survived until the end. And then his Chariots etc. could disengage once they survived the charge and fall back into the second rank of my deployment zone.

Main thoughts; Tzeentch has 4+ invulns right across the entire army, and Nurgle is good. Seriously good. 5 up invuln, 5 up disgustingly resilient against everything. Plague Drones are excellent units. Disgustingly resilient is so frustrating, nothing like seeing a Soul Grinder basically absorb most of the damage off your meltagun with a series of lucky 5-ups. Having one-shot powerful weapons against an army with so many invulnerable saves and ways of ignoring wounds is an exercise in frustration. I needed mass gunfire and some flamers to kill his daemonic hordes.

Highlight of the game was the epic duel between my Daemon Prince and his Lord of Change. Unfortunately, he rolled a 6 to ignore the wound that would have killed him (warlord trait) and managed to kill the DP with just one wound left.

Final score was something like 10-5 but we called it early because I just didn't have the hitting power to claw my way back in.
Alpha Legion, Power Level 147
World Eaters, Power Level 96
Khorne Daemons, Power Level 30

Geradox
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Geradox » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:15 pm

Yesterday we had a midnight release of 8th at my store so we were playing 8th ed all day. My game was at 1000 points.

I had 3 groups of 10 bezerkers 1 chaos Lord, kharn, and a 5 man teams of termis. All were world eaters.

My opponent was playing grey knights (I don't know what all he had) but I know he had an apothecary, a baby carriage I mean dread knight, 4 man crew of paladins. And a group of 10 dudes in rhino (they had normal power armour).

After set up i moved up and advanced my forces. And he peppered my forces with bolters fire. No one died. My termis struck down behind his lime. ( they failed there charge namely cause I forgot I could use a command point to reroll a single dice. He shot them off the board and charged the last remaining guy. And killed him.

On turn 2 I charged his paladins killing 2 and piled into the dread knight. Accidently leaving kharn in the open. He teleported his paladins away (cowards) onto an objective. He shot kharn down and killed him. He finished off the first bezerker squad.

On turn 3 I charged his dread knight and piled into his apothecary . I brought the dread knight down to 4 wounds. And killed his apothecary. He teleported his dread knight away (coward) onto an objective. He killed 9 men from another bezerker squad (after 1 running away) and killed the Lord.

On turn 4 I charged his 10 man squad and piled into the rhino. And got the lone zerker into a crater to grab an objective. I wiped the squad of men and felt 2 damage onto his rhino. (Which was on the last objective.)

On turn 5 he did nothing cuz his troops were out of range of my non engaged unit and hisbrhino wiffed. And I didn't even hurt his rhino. He rolled to see if game ends of 5 and it did .

At game end I had 5 points with the objective and line breaker and slay the warlord. He had 9 points with 2 objectives first blood, slay the warlord, and line breaker.

All in all it was a good and close game. I made a few tactical mistakes namely leaving my Lord's out to be shot to he'll and missing the command point for my termites. But hey new edition and all. And my opponent played cowardly I mean flawlessly against me.abd even if the game continued he woulda won with the first blood even if I destroyed his rhino cuz he woulda just teleported anywhere to stay away from me . But hey it was fun
Chaos always, always chaos.

Kalidas
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Kalidas » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:10 am

So I played my Dark Imperium box set game with my girlfriend and we even did it live on Facebook. If anyone wants to see the video.... warning strong language and adult themes...