MWG Community FAQ for 8th

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
mmsolo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: MWG Community FAQ for 8th

Post by mmsolo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:52 am

That's realy powerfull to be able to choose, playing blood claw i can easily get thoses auras ( 12" for them ) and a big blob with +1 attack... gonna hurt.
And it's more versatile than in 7th !

Mach-Ten
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Mach-Ten » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:59 am

mmsolo wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:52 am
That's realy powerfull to be able to choose, playing blood claw i can easily get thoses auras ( 12" for them ) and a big blob with +1 attack... gonna hurt.
And it's more versatile than in 7th !
at least they clarified that they don't stack ... i.e. taking TWO Wulfen packs ... one to give Hunt and the other to give kill.
so regardless you only ever get one or the other :)

mmsolo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mmsolo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:28 am

Still powerful ! i'm ok with that, wulfen are already worth taking by their own.
Last edited by mmsolo on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dheiti
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Dheiti » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:19 am

Beanith wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:35 am
Whoops, posted this as a topic too. My bad.

Shooting Pistols whilst in Combat and into other Combats

Some confusion about Pistols I wouldn't mind getting some opinions on.

"A model can fire a Pistol even if there are enemy units within 1" of its own unit, but it must target the closest enemy unit. In such circumstances, the model can shoot its Pistol even if other friendly units are within 1" of the same enemy unit."

I get that you can override "Models cannot target enemy units that are within 1" of friendly models – the risk of hitting your own troops is too great"
So I still have questions.

A model from Marine Unit A is in ongoing combat with Ork Unit B and wants to shoot a pistol. But he's right at the back of a conga line and there's a separate ongoing combat between Marine Unit C is in ongoing combat with Ork Unit D that is closer. Does he shoot at Ork unit B or D or not fire at all?

Can unengaged Marine Unit E fire bolt pistols into Ork Unit B that is in ongoing combat with Marine Unit A?

Is firing a pistol at the closest enemy unit a rule for only models in combat or all models firing in the shooting phase? (to clarify yes I know you can't shoot in the combat phase)
Quite clear for me. Unit D.

Closest unit is calculated per model firing.
Armies:
Tyranids
White Scars
Death Guard
Harlequins

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:07 am

I quoted this in Beanith's separate post regarding pistols.
Koonitz wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:52 am
Pistols may be used, even if you are engaged. They are still used in the shooting phase as normal (note that this means you only get to use pistols in YOUR shooting phase, not every shooting phase, or every fight phase). IF you are engaged, then you must fire at the closest enemy target. Very straight forward.

As weapons are fired individually and may be split fired freely, you may, indeed, fire at another unit than the one you (or your unit) are engaged with, however if you are part of a unit that is engaged, you must fire at the closest enemy. If that closest enemy is engaged with another unit, you may, indeed, fire at it as it is the closest enemy target and you may ignore the restriction of firing at a unit that is engaged, even if they are engaged with other friendly units (as per the quoted rule).

This situation will be rare for most people, as most assault units will pile in and be closer to the unit they are engaged with, but in the event of conga-line units, it is possible for some models to be closer to another enemy unit, whether that unit is engaged or not.
I agree with Dheiti's response in this example:
Beanith wrote: A model from Marine Unit A is in ongoing combat with Ork Unit B and wants to shoot a pistol. But he's right at the back of a conga line and there's a separate ongoing combat between Marine Unit C is in ongoing combat with Ork Unit D that is closer. Does he shoot at Ork unit B or D or not fire at all?
The model in question would fire on Ork unit D, as that unit is the closest. However, note that you can only ignore the restriction if your unit is engaged as well. As such, Marine unit A could only fire on Ork unit D while it is engaged. If A becomes disengaged, then D is no longer a valid target, even if they are closest, as they are engaged. A would have to charge and engage in that combat to be able to shoot at D.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

mmsolo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mmsolo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:57 am

Same way you can't fire in at the closest unit if you are not yourself engage in close combat. Because of that part : "In such circonstances" meaning all of this apply only if the first sentence is valid, "if there are enemy units within 1" of its own unit".

So Marines unit E can't fire at Ork engaged unit B , even with pistols. They first have to be themselves engaged in melee.

1.Are your unit engaged in melee ( within 1" of an enemy unit ) ?
No : follow normal shooting rules even with a pistol, not the pistol special rule.
Yes : models in your unit can only fire at the closest enemy unit.
2. For each model in this unit : Is the closest enemy unit the one or one engaged in melee with that model's unit ?
Yes : Each model can only fire at that closest enemy unit. If multi enemy units engaged, you may have a lot of split fire, but you have to do it that way.
No : ( in case of conga-line ) : for now there is no other restriction, you can only fire at the curent closest enemy unit ( this enemy unit can be engaged or not ) .

Is it a good summary ? anyways almost all the time you will be in the "Yes" situation in question 2 . Quite easy to resolve.

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:19 pm

AH, yes, I did not comment regarding Marine Unit E, however I did cover the circumstances in my post. As indicated by mmsolo, the special rule for firing pistols in (and into) combat only applies if the firer is also engaged. Otherwise, they just fire normally, following ALL normal rules for firing a ranged weapon (including not having to fire at the closest target, and not being able to fire at an engaged unit).
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

Mach-Ten
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Scoring Tactical Objectives

Post by Mach-Ten » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:32 am

here's the wording from the rules that make up this FAQ (well AOBMATDSNEFAQ -asked once by me and then debated, so not entirely FAQ:

ACHIEVING TACTICAL OBJECTIVES
At the end of every turn (yours and the enemy’s), you
must check to see if you have achieved any of your active Tactical Objectives
the descriptions will tell you how and when they are achieved
and how many victory points are scored for achieving them.
If you can achieve a Tactical Objective at the end of A turn, you must
immediately score the victory points for it
you cannot choose not to do so.
Players can achieve any number of their Tactical Objectives in the same turn.

BATTLE ROUND

Warhammer 40,000 is played in a series of battle rounds.
During each battle round, both players have a turn.
Once a player’s turn has ended, their opponent then starts their turn.
Once both players have completed a turn, the battle round has been completed.

Defend Objective X
You are charged with the defence of a key objective. It must not be permitted to fall into enemy hands.
Score 2 victory points if you control objective marker 3 at the end of two consecutive turns.

so Defend objective X gets scored at the end of your opponents next turn

Darklord321
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by Darklord321 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Koonitz wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:16 pm
Warehammer wrote:Interestingly, the Wraithknight's Titanic Feet and the Morka/Gorkanaut klaw are worded differently;
Titanic Feet wrote:When you make an attack with this weapon, roll 3 dice instead of 1.
Klaw of Gork (or possibly Mork) wrote:Make 3 hit rolls for each attack made with this weapon, instead of 1.
Thoughts? I don't know if it's intentionally worded differently, or the likely case of different writers using slightly different phrasing.
The Imperial Knight/Questor Traitoris Titanic Feet also state the same thing as the Klaw.

As the Knight attack is, effectively, meant to be the same thing as the Wraith Knight (the old super-heavy stomp attack), it is a (VERY) fair assumption that the Wraith Knight was simply poorly worded, or written by someone other than the Knight writer. With this information in context, I would be flabbergasted that anyone would assume the Wraith Knight's wording means anything else.
Has it been verified if each "hit" generates a wound roll or if this is 3 to hit rolls take the best 1?

I have searched as much as possible and I have found nothing to lead me either direction, my friend believes it is roll 3 take the best 1, but I have seen others do 3 hit rolls each successful generates a to wound roll. If anyone can show me a FAQ or anything i would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

mmsolo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mmsolo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:52 pm

The best hit roll just don't exist. 6 is better than 5... but both are success. It's 3 dices to roll keeping any success. The thing is to represent the fact that the feet are huges and can smach into big blob of guys for exemple like a frag stuff , a large area, where ( on a knight ) if you use the chainsword you do your regular attacks but you benefit from the big weapon stat line.

Keeping the "best" roll to hit would be the badest rule ever and feets if you can have any other weapon the less interesting weapon to use. It is to make a choice ( if you have an other weapon ) between your regular extra powerfull attacks or some more "basic" stat but with 3 times more attacks.

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:54 pm

Darklord321 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:46 pm
Has it been verified if each "hit" generates a wound roll or if this is 3 to hit rolls take the best 1?

I have searched as much as possible and I have found nothing to lead me either direction, my friend believes it is roll 3 take the best 1, but I have seen others do 3 hit rolls each successful generates a to wound roll. If anyone can show me a FAQ or anything i would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
The whole point of the attack is meant to give the Knight something capable of dealing with swarms and hordes that would otherwise attempt to bog it down (and render it simply incapable of winning a game, as it could never kill enough, nor could it ever capture an objective). Considering this, in addition to the old stomp attacks being small blasts, it is folly to assume it's just "a really, really good chance to hit a single model", instead of "a means for a 500 point model to get extra attacks against swarms that it would otherwise be defenseless against, exactly as stomp was originally intended in 6th-7th".

With all else, and this in addition, taken into context, it is extra attacks, with each hit causing its own damage. If it were meant to be otherwise, they already have a mechanic for that, "when attacking with this weapon, this model gains +1 to hit".
Armies:

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:07 pm

In 7th edition, rules worded slightly differently would indicate that they have a specific, intended difference. However in 8th edition we have 17 different versions of the exact same special rule that, while worded differently, all act exactly alike. So noting a slight wording difference between Titanic Feet and the Klaw of Gork (or possibly Mork) doesn't necessarily imply an intended difference in function now, like it did in 7th.

For example there are many abilities that allow you to roll to ignore wounds (Disgustingly Resilient, Fortune, Molten Body, etc etc). These are all worded vastly differently. Some say they activate when "the model is wounded", some say they activate when "the model suffers an unsaved wound", some say they work against wounds and mortal wounds, some say they work "when the model loses a wound". RAW, these would all happen at different times and be resolved differently against multiple damage weapons and mortal wounds. However GW has clarified that they all work exactly the same. They all get one roll per point of damage inflicted, mortal or not.

8th edition currently has a very heavy focus on "Rules as Intended". While I hope to see a lot of this cleared up in the future, for now it seems best to stick with what appears to be the simplest and most reasonable answer. Attack 3 times instead of once.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:12 pm

On a side note: I've been insanely busy with work, but I think I'm past the worst of it now and can catch up on updating the community FAQ. I can update it with links to the Official FAQs, and provide clarification on the more commonly asked questions we've seen around the Forum. Since I'm a bit out of the loop, Could I bother you guys to point me in the direction of some of the questions you think should be added to the OP? Even if it's not necessarily a rules problem, but just a clarification that gets asked a lot, it would be good to have something for the beginners to check out as well. Thanks!
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Raschier
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Raschier » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:57 am

Here are some topics that I think could be in the faq.

Nearest unit clarification
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 2&t=124834

Psychic powers and close combat
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 2&t=124853

Removing losses
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 2&t=124774

Shooting with pistols in combat
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 2&t=124737

Combat and bases
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 2&t=124783

Modifying an advance
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 2&t=124783

Don't know if some of them were already in it though.

mmsolo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mmsolo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:38 am

It look like a silly question, before seeing someone else doing differently , i was pretty sure about that but :

Does a +1 ST aura give a model with a 2x stenght +1 or +2.

Exemple marine ST 4, with thunder hammer x2 ST. His he now ST 9 ? 4x2+1 or ST 10 ? (4+1) first the model stat line, x2 ,then the weapon.