MWG Community FAQ for 8th

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: MWG Community FAQ for 8th

Post by Bojazz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:42 pm

I like blippity's interpretation, and it follows along with my GW manager's ruling as well. I'll most likely be using that ruling in my games.

Next Question! Another Eldar one. Warp Spiders - Are they supposed to be able to shoot after falling back? That would certainly fit in with their fluff, but it comes down to "When is the FLY keyword checked for? Here's the relevant info:

Falling Back
- A unit that Falls Back also cannot shoot later that turn unless it can FLY.

Warp Jump Generator
- When this unit moved in the Movement phase, they can do so normally or using their warp jump generators. If they use their warp jump generators they cannot Advance or charge this turn, but their Move characteristic is increades by 4D6" and they can FLY until the end of the phase.

So, when does a unit need to be able to FLY in order to shoot? If needs to FLY when falling back - then the Warp Spiders can shoot after falling back, because they "flew" out of combat. If they need to be able to FLY during the shooting phase as well, then warp spiders cannot shoot after falling back, because their FLY keyword only lasts until the end of the movement phase.

I'm leaning towards - "No, they cannot shoot after falling back", which is a bit silly given the theme of Warp Spiders. Whether or not they are intended to be able to, I can't even guess.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:54 pm

Does the wording of the falling back and shooting state if they can fly, or if they have the <Fly> keyword? IF the latter, the Warp Spiders never gain the <Fly> keyword, only that they FLY (ie: act as if they did have the keyword).
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:59 pm

The wording is identical to what I wrote there... that's an interesting take on it though... The warp spiders can fly. Not all the time, but they surely can. By that logic they should be able to fall back from combat normally - without using their warp jump generators, and still be able to shoot?
Orks - Power Level 70

mmsolo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mmsolo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:06 pm

Agree with Blippity . It's not an interpretation, it is the actual rules.

About warp spiders, that might not be logical but :

when you want to shoot, you're in the shooting phase, and here, in that shooting phase you check your keyword, having FLY allow you to shoot if you fell back before. Your warp spiders have the FLY key word only during the movement phase, so when you want to shoot, in the shooting phase you check your key words, you don't have it anymore. So for me, you can't ( but fluffwise that's not logical ).
Last edited by mmsolo on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmsolo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mmsolo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:09 pm

adding : the rules don't have to specify "keyword" , if the word is in cap and bold, it is the keyword.

And even if i'm wrong about my previous message, if they don't use their warp stuff, there is no doubt that they won't be able to shoot. The only "maybe" is when they use it.

mmsolo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mmsolo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Agreed and clearer than what i was trying painfully to say. ( But my english keep going better )

Telruin
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by Telruin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:55 am

I read that Miniwargaming will treat all feel no pain like abilities the same, but I think Ethereals feel no pain like ability is written differently with a purpose. It is meant to be taken before damage is applied/rolled. If it is the same as any other feel no pain it would stack up with the drones and let you take the feel no pain on the original target, and again on the drone. (This would not be the case if the wording is different on purpose)

I guess I should put a question in here somewhere, so how do you deal with that?

mmsolo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mmsolo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:14 pm

Maybe you should find a french version of the ethereals datasheet. In french the difference between a roll to wound, and loosing a wound is made by using "health points" on a datasheet and "wounds" for the rolls so in this case it could be clear to see when the rule want it to happened . That can help maybe ?( if anybody have that kind of french datasheet i can translate )

mmsolo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mmsolo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:54 pm

Quick question, Can i advance and use my smoke launcher ? advencing prevent you to shoot some weapons, but not to shoot at all.

Also, during a time i was stuck in the 7th way to deal with that : Curse of the wulfen.
You cannot benefit from both kill and hunt in the same turn and wulfen can't benefit from their own aura. It seems to be the only restriction here, so can i just choose for other units in range ? If i don't reroll my charge with the "hunt" then a can have the "kill" bonus ( for a unit affected by the wulfen's aura )? No matter if wulfens are in close combat or not like in 7th?

Without more wording i was trying to just imagine some restriction using the way it worked in 7th, but actually maybe there is nothing to find. And everything is already written.

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:20 pm

There was actually an FAQ released today addressing that first question. The answer is yes - actions that you can perform "instead of shooting" do not require you to be able to shoot in order to use them. It does not matter whether you could not shoot, or chose not to shoot, so long as you did not shoot you can fire your smoke launchers.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-1/
Orks - Power Level 70

Beanith
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Beanith » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:35 am

Whoops, posted this as a topic too. My bad.

Shooting Pistols whilst in Combat and into other Combats

Some confusion about Pistols I wouldn't mind getting some opinions on.

"A model can fire a Pistol even if there are enemy units within 1" of its own unit, but it must target the closest enemy unit. In such circumstances, the model can shoot its Pistol even if other friendly units are within 1" of the same enemy unit."

I get that you can override "Models cannot target enemy units that are within 1" of friendly models – the risk of hitting your own troops is too great"
So I still have questions.

A model from Marine Unit A is in ongoing combat with Ork Unit B and wants to shoot a pistol. But he's right at the back of a conga line and there's a separate ongoing combat between Marine Unit C is in ongoing combat with Ork Unit D that is closer. Does he shoot at Ork unit B or D or not fire at all?

Can unengaged Marine Unit E fire bolt pistols into Ork Unit B that is in ongoing combat with Marine Unit A?

Is firing a pistol at the closest enemy unit a rule for only models in combat or all models firing in the shooting phase? (to clarify yes I know you can't shoot in the combat phase)
Last edited by Beanith on Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mach-Ten
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Mach-Ten » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:43 am

mmsolo wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:54 pm
Curse of the wulfen.
You cannot benefit from both kill and hunt in the same turn and wulfen can't benefit from their own aura. It seems to be the only restriction here, so can i just choose for other units in range ?
If i don't reroll my charge with the "hunt" then a can have the "kill" bonus ( for a unit affected by the wulfen's aura )?
No matter if wulfens are in close combat or not like in 7th?
correct on all counts

"Units of Wulfen are never affected by this ability,nor are units that have already been affected by the Curse of the Wulfen (Hunt) earlier in the turn."

if a Unit HUNTs it cannot KILL, if it did NOT HUNT and is within 6" of Wulfen when they make their attacks then it can KILL.