MWG Community FAQ for 8th

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: MWG Community FAQ for 8th

Post by Koonitz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Big changes in the Chaos errata today for daemons and Thousand Sons. The daemon changes are so those still using the index have rules reflecting those in Codex: CSM.

- Adjustments to all core daemons to reflect their new point costs (I'm not familiar with non Tzeentch daemons to say if this means they went down or up).

- Horrors now only do 1 mortal wound with smite unless there are 10+ pink horrors in the unit. Pink horrors dropped by 2 points, brimstones went up by 1 (in effect, no change in total points, if you pay for full split).

Not in the errata, but in the article, Thousand Sons players do not use the Codex, however MAY use the expanded Dark Hereticus discipline, if they so wish.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-2/
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:15 pm

Thanks for the link - added it to the OP.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:32 am

more FAQs out. Death Guard and Admech.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-4/
Orks - Power Level 70

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Changed the OP of this thread to link to GW's new FAQ website.
Orks - Power Level 70

Konje
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Konje » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:33 pm

After my first gemes in 8th edition with my Astra Militarum Army the first rule questions came up. It would be awesome if I could get some help with the following questions:

1. When I give a Cadian-Infantry unit with the cadian-doctrin - which has not moved - the order "Take aim!", they are allowed to re-roll all failed hits (not only 1s).
Does it work the same way, if I give my cadian tank with the cadian-doctrin - which has not moved - the order "Gunners, Kill on Sight!"?

2. If my Warlord gives an order to an infantry unit, which is 18" away, by using a vox-caster is he allowed to use the Laurels of commad relic, respectively the cadian warlord trait for that 18" order? Or does the distance from the warlord to the vox-caster he is using count?

3. If a unit is allowed to give more than one order per turn the codex states that the effect has to be completed before the 2nd, 3rd etc. order is given. In contrast to that it states that all orders have to be given at the beginning of the shooting phase. So how does that work? Is it correct to give all orders of all unit first and then go on with the shooting phase?

Thanks a lot for the help in advance
*Career is all about timing*

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:31 pm

More FAQs out. Grey Knights and Tyranids.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... hadespire/

I don't play Guard in 8th, so I can't answer Konje's questions. Could someone assist him, please? Alternatively, Konje, could you post your questions in the Imperium subsection of the forum in an attempt to get more exposure to your questions?
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

coldsteel

Post by coldsteel » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Konje wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:33 pm
After my first gemes in 8th edition with my Astra Militarum Army the first rule questions came up. It would be awesome if I could get some help with the following questions:

1. When I give a Cadian-Infantry unit with the cadian-doctrin - which has not moved - the order "Take aim!", they are allowed to re-roll all failed hits (not only 1s).
Does it work the same way, if I give my cadian tank with the cadian-doctrin - which has not moved - the order "Gunners, Kill on Sight!"?

2. If my Warlord gives an order to an infantry unit, which is 18" away, by using a vox-caster is he allowed to use the Laurels of commad relic, respectively the cadian warlord trait for that 18" order? Or does the distance from the warlord to the vox-caster he is using count?

3. If a unit is allowed to give more than one order per turn the codex states that the effect has to be completed before the 2nd, 3rd etc. order is given. In contrast to that it states that all orders have to be given at the beginning of the shooting phase. So how does that work? Is it correct to give all orders of all unit first and then go on with the shooting phase?

Have to check the book for 1 and 2. 3, yes, you'd issue and resolve, one at a time, all possible orders then continue with the remainder of the Shooting phase.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

Raschier
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Raschier » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:27 am

Konje wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:33 pm

1. No, it doesn't allow full rerolls for leman russes, because unlike take aim, this is never stated in the rules. And I think it has been explained in the Guard FAQ, but I am not sure about that.

2. I don't know for sure, but I have been doing it like those traits and relics range can be expanded by a vox.

3. Coldsteel answered this one, and I agree with his answer.

Konje
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Konje » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:57 am

Hi everybody,

I finally got a more or less official answer from the 40k Community on Facebook. The answer was confirmed by one of the community officials.
So here are the asnwers:

1) No, I am afraid not. The Cadian doctrine is keyworded to work with only INFANTRY, and as stated in the rule when a unit is issued the 'Take Aim!'

2) That's an interesting one....personally I can't see a rule reason why the Laurels could not be used. The Laurels says when issuing orders to a "unit within 6" of them." To me this seems to be worded in the same way that you can normally only issue orders to units within 6". A Vox Caster simply extends that range to 18", and thus that seems logical to me that it would do the same with Laurels -Afterall the point of Laurels is that the Commander is barking orders in a inspiring, efficient manner that they can get two in with one message.

3) Again, my personal opinion here, but I do understand that within the community there are two camps. One camp say that every Officer issues all the orders together at the very start of the 'ENTIRE' shooting phase. I, and my gaming really do not think, this is the intention of how the Order system is intended to work. We fall into the other camp that it when you select that Officer to act in the Shooting phase. We believe this be the case as the wording for 'Voice of Command' is "at the start of their..."; their means the models, not you as the player. Plus it make sense that Officers will issue order when needed and not in some kind of synchronized ballet of coordinating orders with other Officer in the army

example: Your army has 1 Company Commander (2 orders) and 1 Tank Commander in a Leman Russ Demolisher (1 Order). You have 2 Infantry Squads, 1 Heavy weapons team and a Leman Russ Punisher. Therefore one sequence you could choose in the shooting phase would be:

a) Select Infantry-Squad-1 to shoot, and resolve this shooting
b) Select Tank Commander. First issues Tank Order, 'Strike and Shroud' to the Leman Russ Punisher. This order does not need to be resolved immediately. So, as this only order the Tank Commander can issue you can now choose to resolve the Tank Commanders shooting.
c) Select Company Commander. First the Commander must issues his orders. Using Order-1 the Commander issues 'Take Aim!' Order to the Heavy Weapons Team. This order must be resolved straight away as per the 'Senior Officer' Ability Rule. The order allow the target unit to re-roll to-hit-rolls of 1s until the end of the phase - Since nothing needs to be immediately resolved as a consequence of the order, this order is now resolved. The Commander must now choose to issue their Order-2 or move on to complete their shoot. In this case the the Commander chooses to issue the 'Move! Move! Move!' Order to Infantry-Squad-2. The rules for this order say resolve immediately; hence Infantry-Squad-2 must now move again. Once resolved the Command can now resolve any shoot it wishes to make.
d) Select the Heavy Weapons Team to shoot, and resolve their shooting; taking into account the re-roll provided by 'Take Aim!' Order they received.
e) Finally select the Leman Russ Punisher to shoot, and resolve their shooting; taking into account the 'Strike and Shroud' Order they have received, allowing the unit to shoot and then pop smoke.
*Career is all about timing*

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:10 pm

Bear in mind that the WarHammer Community is not an official rules source, nor are they the rules design team. For lack of anything better, you may want to go with them, but do not assume these are in any way official, and do not be surprised if they are argued against. For example:

I'd argue against the laurel answer. The range of issuing orders and the range of the laurels are two entirely separate ranges. The vox allows the range of issuing orders to be extended. This does NOT extend the range of the laurels, as it is a separate entity. It is like me telling you that you get an extra 6" on the rapid fire range of bolters, then you try to say that also affects plasma guns, because they're also 24" ranged, rapid fire weapons, and clearly the ability is meant to affect all 24" ranged, rapid fire weapons. They're entirely separate and should be treated as such.

The vox allows you to extend the range of issuing orders, ONLY orders. NOT the range of any other abilities or auras.
Armies:

Lord-Terrycus
Silver Vault Member

Post by Lord-Terrycus » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:05 pm

Personal question i’m Rather unhappy about, as I can’t seem to get an answer about it, so bear with me.

Can a unit that is completely surrounded by an enemy Fall Back?
First Knight Alexi Barsov Of Redclaw

Raschier
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Raschier » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:22 pm

Lord-Terrycus wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:05 pm
Personal question i’m Rather unhappy about, as I can’t seem to get an answer about it, so bear with me.

Can a unit that is completely surrounded by an enemy Fall Back?
No it can't, they have to be able to safely move 1" away from the enemy, and normal units can't jump over enemy units. This is not the case if said unit has the FLY keyword, because then you would be able to move over enemy units as long as you don't end on top of them.
I think this is said in the BRB, under Falling back, but I'm not sure.

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:11 am

This was posted in the Chaos section as a separate post for discussion purposes, as well.

Chaos Daemons FAQ, plus update to the Chaos Marines/Death Guard FAQs.

Found here.

The Marines/Death Guard mostly got a removal of the <Daemon> keyword from Faction and moved to regular keywords, on key units. They also clarified that the Daemons stratagems only work on FACTION keyword <Daemons>. So no more deep striking Magnus/Mortarion. Of interest, WarHammer Community commented on Facebook that you are also unable to manifest Flickering Flames (+1 to wound) on Obliterators, implying psychic powers are also unable to manifest on non-FACTION <Daemons>, but the FAQ only states stratagems. FYI.

The Daemons codex datasheet for Tzeentch Horrors has replaced the Chaos Marines codex datasheet. Changes are:
- No more Ephemeral Form. Horror saves are flat, starting at 4+ for Pink, 5+ Blue, 6+ Brimstone. Used to be 5++ with Ephemeral Form across the three.
- Pink horror ranged attack becomes Assault 3 with 20+ Pink horrors in the unit.

Few sundry clarifications and fixes, otherwise. Nothing else ground-breaking that I can see.
Armies:

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:34 pm

Here’s something that came up in a game tonight.

A unit has an ability which allows it to attempt to deny one psychic power per turn.

Does this count as an attempt to Deny the Witch, which would then be subject to range limits. My opponent tried to argue that since it didn’t say “deny the witch” and simply said “deny a psychic power” that it wasn’t the same thing. :?

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:01 pm

Does the unit's ability outline how to "Deny a psychic power"? If the ability has it's own rules for how to deny, then you can follow them and everything is fine. But if it doesn't have it's own rules for how to Deny, and your opponent is arguing that it is NOT a deny the witch test, then how does the ability deny psychic tests? If he wants to use the "Deny the Witch" rules by rolling 2D6 and comparing it to the caster's score, then he must also adhere to the restrictions in that section. Otherwise he's just making up rules.

If the ability doesn't specifically tell you how to deny a psychic power then you have to use the rules for Denying available to you in the core book, which includes the range restriction.
Orks - Power Level 70