MWG Community FAQ for 8th

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
mmsolo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: MWG Community FAQ for 8th

Post by mmsolo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:36 am

I remember a question about abilities like the warlord trait giving a 6+ ignoring wounds and some armies having the same kind of thing ( dark eldar/death guard) or even characters that have something like that.
It will also be something to know for the iron hand chapter tactic.

Asking if they were cumulative, rellong for one rule, then the warlord trait etc. Or if can't take two of them.

I don't find this topic/question , anyone know where it is ? I think it's also something that can be in the FAQ

Mach-Ten
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Mach-Ten » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:37 am

mmsolo wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:36 am
I remember a question about abilities like the warlord trait giving a 6+ ignoring wounds and some armies having the same kind of thing ( dark eldar/death guard) or even characters that have something like that.
It will also be something to know for the iron hand chapter tactic.

Asking if they were cumulative, rellong for one rule, then the warlord trait etc. Or if can't take two of them.

I don't find this topic/question , anyone know where it is ? I think it's also something that can be in the FAQ
the question was asked if they STACK .. which they do not.

i.e. does a 6+ and another 6+ mean a 5+ ?

and in answer you get to roll both one after the other but they don't stack

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:20 am

mmsolo wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:38 am
Does a +1 ST aura give a model with a 2x stenght +1 or +2.
This has been the same in all editions of the game that I can remember. You use basic math principles of multiplying before addition. As such, it would be +1. (S4 * 2 = 8 + 1 = 9).

This is even stated in the rulebook. Let me get a page number for you.

Rulebook, Page 175, sidebar "Modifying Characteristics"
You may also encounter abilities and rules that modify a characteristic. All modifiers are cumulative, though you should apply any multiplication or division to the characteristic (rounding fractions up) before applying any addition or subtraction.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

mmsolo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mmsolo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Thanks both of you.

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:53 pm

Raschier wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:57 am
Nearest unit clarification
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 2&t=124834
These questions are covered in the GW Rulebook FAQ and Designer's Commentary:
Q: If a model cannot shoot at the closest visible enemy unit for some reason (e.g. it is within 1" of one of your units) but the next closest visible enemy unit is a Character, can that model then target the character?
A: No.
Q. If I have a weapon that can target enemy units that are not
visible to the firer (such as a mortar), can I shoot at an enemy
Character
that has a Wounds characteristic of less than 10
if it is not the closest enemy model?
A. No.

I'll still add them to the FAQ since it seems they've been asked a few times on the forum anyways.
Raschier wrote:
Psychic powers and close combat
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 2&t=124853
This one seems pretty cut and dry. You have general permission to cast powers in your Psychic Phase, and nothing restricting you from casting powers in any situation. I feel like this question is just a hang up from 7th edition. If I see more people asking it I'll add it to the FAQ, but for now I'll just leave it
Raschier wrote:
Removing losses
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 2&t=124774
This question was a result of misinterpreting a video from Matt, although the discussion progressed towards an actual question on the regular GW FAQ. I'll keep an eye out and if more people start asking about what happens when a unit becomes split up from battle then I'll copy the relevant answer from the FAQ on to this one.
Raschier wrote:
Shooting with pistols in combat
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 2&t=124737
This is a good one. There is certainly a wonky situation going on. I feel like mmsolo and Koonitz interpreted the rules correctly, but this question is likely to be asked again - so I"ll add it to the FAQ.
Raschier wrote:
Combat and bases
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 2&t=124783
This is another good question. The rules for shooting were clarified that you measure to/from the base, but in the case of close combat they kept the wording of "within 1" of an enemy model". This means that large models like a Trygon Prime can fight units in buildings, so long as they can get near enough with any part of their body. Adding it to the FAQ!
Raschier wrote:
Modifying an advance
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 2&t=124783
You messed up the link - but I remember this thread. I think this one is pretty self explanatory, but again, I'll watch to see if more people start asking about it.

Thanks for the help! As always, if you guys think I should look at anything else, throw me the links!
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Mach-Ten
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Mach-Ten » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:45 am

bit of self promotion but thought you'd add this one back in

Piling in / consolidating with Airborne flyers
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124792

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:23 pm

Right! I remember this one! That should definitely be added to the FAQ.

Now that I've had time to go back and read the relevant rules - I can say that RAW - The Flyers can Consolidate and Pile In normally, and can only rotate up to 90 degrees, which does not count towards their move distance.

- The rules in the rulebook for "Minimum Movement" says that it applies only during movement in the movement phase.
In the Movement Phase, all parts of the model's base must end the move at least that far from where they started.
- Consolidation and Pile-In tell you to "Move" the model.

- The Airborne (or equivalent) rules for fliers tell you that pivoting has no effect on their movement, and this applies "Each Time they move". They pivot first, and then move in a straight line.

It is definitely a wonky scenario, appearing to allow fliers in combat supernatural agility. I'll add in the RAW, and a house ruling option to the community FAQ
Orks - Power Level 70

mmsolo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mmsolo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:59 am

the charge move for "fly" keyword, that's blurry and there is not yet a agreement .

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124890

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:41 am

Great topic. The discussion is still going back and forth a bit, so I'll keep an eye on it and Add it to the FAQ after it's been exhausted.
Orks - Power Level 70

mmsolo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mmsolo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:18 pm

Don't think it would. It's to much of a grey area, everybody houserule it in their own way. Not an easy one.

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:45 pm

The official FAQs have been updated!
https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-2/

Confirmed, multiple wound negation abilities can all be rolled for (like disgustingly resilient and tenacious survivor)
Orks - Power Level 70

mmsolo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mmsolo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:38 pm

In the Rulebook part, Erata part, page 1, right column, the page 242 part, the new little paragraph. Can anyone explain it to me ? I don't realy understand.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:58 pm

mmsolo wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:38 pm
In the Rulebook part, Erata part, page 1, right column, the page 242 part, the new little paragraph. Can anyone explain it to me ? I don't realy understand.
If you mean the Understrength units, I just had this discussion on BoLS.

Normally, units have a minimum and maximum size. Let's say, Space Marine Terminators. They are 5-10 models per unit. However, the rulebook has a clause allowing for units that are understrength. Let's say you misplaced 2 of your Terminators and, therefore, only have 3. You may still field the unit of 3. The rulebook states that you must still pay points for a minimum unit, so you would pay for the unit assuming there were 5 models, but could field only 3.

The FAQ changed this to say that only with power points do you pay the minimum cost. In matched play, you only have to pay the points for models you field. So you would only pay for 3, not 5.

People were abusing this in taking single Terminators to deep strike onto objectives, only paying for a single Terminator.

The addition now means you must use an auxiliary detachment if you wish to use an understrength unit in matched play, which means you are only paying for 1 Terminator, but now have to pay 1 Command Point to do so, as the Aux detachment is -1 CP.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

mmsolo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mmsolo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:14 pm

I think a don't have that twisted mind to think of it ! haha

Thanks Koonitz

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:37 am

Space Marines Errata posted. Added it to the OP.
https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netd ... er_1.0.pdf
Orks - Power Level 70