MWG Community FAQ for 8th

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: MWG Community FAQ for 8th

Post by General-Kroll » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:26 am

Bojazz wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:01 pm
Does the unit's ability outline how to "Deny a psychic power"? If the ability has it's own rules for how to deny, then you can follow them and everything is fine. But if it doesn't have it's own rules for how to Deny, and your opponent is arguing that it is NOT a deny the witch test, then how does the ability deny psychic tests? If he wants to use the "Deny the Witch" rules by rolling 2D6 and comparing it to the caster's score, then he must also adhere to the restrictions in that section. Otherwise he's just making up rules.

If the ability doesn't specifically tell you how to deny a psychic power then you have to use the rules for Denying available to you in the core book, which includes the range restriction.
Thanks, hadn’t thought of it like that.

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:59 am

I've got a question regarding forgeworld shadow spectres and irillyth.

Shadow spectre exarchs have a rule called "shadow of death" that says "All enemy units within 6" of a Shadow Spectre Exarch must roll an additional dice when making Morale tests, discarding the lowest dice rolled before determining the result."

Irillyth has a rule called "spectre of death" that says "All enemy models within 18" of Irillyth or any friendly units of SHADOW SPECTRES must roll an additional dice when making Morale tests, discarding the lowest dice rolled before determining the results."

Since these are differently named special rules, does this mean that they both take effect? For example If Irillyth is in play and an enemy unit is within 6" of a unit of shadow spectres, would they roll two additional dice and discard the lowest die, leaving the two highest to calculate their results? Or would they happen sequentially, so roll one additional die, discard the lowest result, then roll another additional die, discard the lowest result again, and then the last die is the result?

I feel like the intention is for irillyth to simply increase the range of the shadow spectre exarch's ability, but they just forgot to state that irillyth's ability replaces the exarch's.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Lord-Terrycus
Silver Vault Member

Post by Lord-Terrycus » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:07 pm

Can a unit that has only model in range shoot all it’s weapons at the same target? To quote the rules:

Choose Targets: Having chosen a shooting unit, you must pick the target unit, or units, for the attacks. In order to target an enemy unit, a model from that unit must be within the Range of the weapon being used (as listed on its profle) and be visible to the shooting model. If unsure, stoop down and get a look from behind the shooting model to see if any part of the target is visible. For the purposes of determining visibility, a model can see through other models in its own unit.

A person I know argues that yes-one model in range means the unit is in range, I think that’s untrue-but I want more opinions. Thoughts?
First Knight Alexi Barsov Of Redclaw

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Lord-Terrycus wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:07 pm
Can a unit that has only model in range shoot all it’s weapons at the same target? To quote the rules:

Choose Targets: Having chosen a shooting unit, you must pick the target unit, or units, for the attacks. In order to target an enemy unit, a model from that unit must be within the Range of the weapon being used (as listed on its profle) and be visible to the shooting model. If unsure, stoop down and get a look from behind the shooting model to see if any part of the target is visible. For the purposes of determining visibility, a model can see through other models in its own unit.

A person I know argues that yes-one model in range means the unit is in range, I think that’s untrue-but I want more opinions. Thoughts?
Remember that all weapons must fire individually. This means measuring range. That you roll multiple attacks together is merely a side-note of convenience.

All weapons must measure range on their own. As such, if one model is in range, but another is not, then only one model may fire its weapons at said chosen target. The other model must fire at another target.

Note, however, that range is measured for ALL weapons of a single unit before ANY weapon of that unit fires. Thus, if two models are in range when you start to fire, but due to casualties caused by other weapons in the same unit, end up not being in range when they fire, they still count as being in range, and may fire. Only if the casualties are caused by another unit that fired previous to them would they not be able to fire.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:42 am

Do terrain effects get resolved by the players prior to the match, or does the codex clearly state what and how terrain affects play? For instance, if I put "trees" in the middle of the board, I want to say you can't charge enemies in the forest, and you can't charge out of the forest. Moving in or out of the forest halves movement speed, and you can't fallback into the forest. Is this acceptable? Can you make up terrain rules?

Mach-Ten
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Mach-Ten » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 am

mrazek22 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:42 am
Do terrain effects get resolved by the players prior to the match, or does the codex clearly state what and how terrain affects play? For instance, if I put "trees" in the middle of the board, I want to say you can't charge enemies in the forest, and you can't charge out of the forest. Moving in or out of the forest halves movement speed, and you can't fallback into the forest. Is this acceptable? Can you make up terrain rules?
You can agree terrain rules with your opponent, but the GW models etc. have specific rules in th e advanced section and in chapter approved 2017.

some of these include halving speed while advancing or charging through 'trees' or even having landmines in there for surprise mortal wounds

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:26 am

mrazek22 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:42 am
As Mach-Ten said, you can agree to rules with your opponent. Whatever you agree to. I believe GW does have an entry stating you should consider make up 'datasheets' for custom terrain pieces.

Though I caution to be reasonable. Your example does seem excessive for most standard games (imagine a shooty unit in that terrain piece that is literally unchargeable by your description). Though you may consider a narrative reason for terrain as you described, so long as your opponent agrees to it.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Well, it's a great capture point that the players are very desirous to take and hold. But I am not saying this would ever be allowed in GW play. For instance, my store says he won't allow non GW Terrain pieces, but he'll let me chop up GW pieces and paint them like trees. Seems weird. I had really interesting ideas for sand hills. Can't charge up it, can't get HWs up it, and only one infantry unit can hold it. That all being said, I like using terrain to limit the chargyness of players today. EVERYTHING CHARGES gets old fast.

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:27 pm

mrazek22 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 pm
EVERYTHING CHARGES gets old fast.
There is a certain degree of communication required to ensure both players have a fun game. If you're not enjoying yourself, perhaps you should communicate that. Beyond that, however, it's not really productive to tell people to not use a core mechanic of the game (please don't charge my T'au, I want to be able to reliably shoot you in the face for the entire game).

You will have to learn to counter it. Either have multiple layers in your army to absorb charges and counter strike (whether counter charging, or crossfire kill zones), deep strike denial units, or set up in places that can't be charged. For instance, remember that only infantry can end a move above the first level of a building (this is official GW rules). Enemy charging you with bikes/monstrous creatures? Step up to the 3rd floor of a building and fire away.

Creating homebrew rules meant specifically to make (your) shooting more powerful at the expense of (their) chargers (who had it bad through the entirety of two editions) is going to make people simply refuse to play you.
Armies:

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:51 pm

I don't think making things un-chargeable is a good way to balance a charge-heavy meta. Perhaps just use more terrain that is raised so models will have to charge toward the piece and up the piece, significantly increasing the charge distance giving you more time to shoot them before they get their charge. Things with fly will still be able to charge reliably, but it will limit the number of things charging you all at once.

Because imagine a unit of alaitoc dark reapers webway striking into one of those "can't charge me" forests on turn 1. Eldar have a ton of shenanigans to avoid being shot: 2+ save from cover, -1 to be hit from shooting attacks, Possible +1 armour from protect and/or a further -1 to be hit from conceal and/or an additional -1 to be hit from lightning fast reflexes stratagem. So you can't charge them and shooting them is incredibly difficult.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Templarknight92
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Templarknight92 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:35 pm

Space Marine question.

I just started a loyalist marine army and I was wondering if you could use the Chapter Master Stratagem if your chapter already has a named Chapter Master with rules? For example can you use stratagem on a generic Ultramarine Captain even through they already have Marneus Calgar; the Black Templars though the have Helbrecht, Blood Angels with Dante etc?

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Fri May 04, 2018 6:39 pm

Templarknight92 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:35 pm
Space Marine question.

I just started a loyalist marine army and I was wondering if you could use the Chapter Master Stratagem if your chapter already has a named Chapter Master with rules? For example can you use stratagem on a generic Ultramarine Captain even through they already have Marneus Calgar; the Black Templars though the have Helbrecht, Blood Angels with Dante etc?
Technically, yes. The stratagem is a rules modification and is not restricted based on lore. However, if you wish to take lore into consideration, I would recommend refraining from using it in such a situation.
Armies:

TheOddOne
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by TheOddOne » Thu May 24, 2018 7:07 am

Koonitz wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:39 pm
Templarknight92 wrote:
Space Marine question.

Technically, yes. The stratagem is a rules modification and is not restricted based on lore. However, if you wish to take lore into consideration, I would recommend refraining from using it in such a situation.
No, the stratagem specificly says "Your army can not have more than one Chapter Master per chapter in your army".

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Thu May 24, 2018 10:11 am

TheOddOne wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:07 am
Koonitz wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:39 pm
Templarknight92 wrote:
Space Marine question.

No, the stratagem specificly says "Your army can not have more than one Chapter Master per chapter in your army".
His question did not indicate whether the named character was in the army or not. Just that they existed. Your rules quote restricts a given army list for a single game.
Armies: