MWG Community FAQ for 8th

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

MWG Community FAQ for 8th

Post by Bojazz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:19 pm

MWG Community FAQ

Links to Official Games Workshop FAQs: Check these first if you're looking for an answer!
https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/

When Posting A New Question:
- Re-read the relevant sections of the rulebook to make sure it is a problem. It's a brand new edition so it's easy to miss things the first time around!
- Remember to provide quotes of all the relevant rules so that nothing gets lost in interpretation.
- Use the Search Function in the Forum to see if it has been asked before.
- Try to word the question clearly and concisely so nobody misinterprets you.

The following are questions we've had on this forum that either have no clear answer (in which case they will have offered solutions for house rules) or questions that are commonly asked and have clear answers (in which case the answer will be provided along with where to find the answer)

Core Rulebook
Airborne models in the Fight phase
Q: How do Airborne models with in the Fight phase regarding pile in and consolidation moves with their minimum movement distances?
A: Minimum Move distances only apply during the Movement Phase. A Flier's airborne (or equivalent) special rule allows it to pivot up to 90 degrees before each time it moves. Since Pile In and Consolidation are moves, the Flier may pivot, and then move straight forward up to the appropriate distance for the move.
Optional House Rule: Airborne Fliers may only Pile-In and Consolidate in a straight line, the direction they are already facing. They are moving too quickly to react.

Measuring in Close Combat
Q: Where do you measure to/from to see if you are within 1" of an enemy model? Can a large model fight an enemy unit in the upper levels of a building if it can stick an arm or something close enough?
A: Unlike shooting where measuring is base to base - measuring in close combat is done from model to model. This means that if any point on your model is within 1" of any point on an enemy model, those units are engaged in combat.

Firing Pistols
Q: How exactly do pistols work?
A: During the shooting phase, Pistols fire like a normal shooting weapon if your unit is not within 1" of an enemy model. If your unit is within 1" of an enemy unit, then the pistols may only fire at the nearest enemy unit, even if the nearest enemy unit to the wielder is not the enemy his unit is engaged with, and even if the nearest enemy unit to the wielder is also engaged in close combat with another unit.

Shooting at Characters
Q: If a model cannot shoot at the closest visible enemy unit for some reason (e.g. it is within 1" of one of your units) but the next closest visible enemy unit is a Character, can that model then target the character?
A: No. (From the Designer's Commentary)

Q. If I have a weapon that can target enemy units that are not visible to the firer (such as a mortar), can I shoot at an enemy Character that has a Wounds characteristic of less than 10 if it is not the closest enemy model?
A. No. (From the Core Rulebook FAQ)

To Hit Modifiers
Question: Can negative "to hit" modifiers make it impossible to hit a unit?
Answer: Yes. (Confirmed in GW FAQ)

Modifiers and Re-rolls
Question: The rulebook states re-rolls happen before modifiers. How does this interact with re-rolls that happen after a failed test?
Answer: Modifiers are not considered when determining whether the test is passed or failed. (Confirmed in GW FAQ)

Wound Negating Abilities
Question: Many abilities offer Wound-negating saves, but their wording is slightly different. Are these rules intended to function identically or differently?
Answer: Identically. After a saving throw has failed and damage has been determined. Roll one save for each wound lost on the model. (Confirmed in GW FAQ)

Question: Do these types of rolls roll once to ignore all damage against multi-damage attacks, or once for each wound lost?
Answer: Once for each wound lost (Designer's Commentary)

Command Re-roll
Question: Can you use Command Re-roll to re-roll ANY die, including unconventional rolls such as psychic powers, the game ending, and your opponent's rolls?
Answer: You may only use the Command re-roll to re-roll a die that you originally rolled. (Confirmed in GW FAQ)

Fast Rolling
Question: If rolling shooting attacks individually could potentially cause casualties to be removed in such a way that would leave the remaining models in a unit out of range or sight and therefore unable to fire, can you use fast rolling to have the firing unit all attack simultaneously (with the same weapons), therefore increasing the potential damage output of the unit?
Solution 1: Any model that is within range when targets are declared may fire, regardless of how enemy casualties would affect line of sight or range. This way regardless of whether or not you roll individually or fast, the result will be the same.
Solution 2: When casualties could affect how many models in the firing unit are within range/have line of sight, the firing unit may not use the fast rolling method to fire with more models than may possibly be able.

Wargear as Abilities
Question: Do you have to pay points for an Ability with the same name and effect as a piece of Wargear? Example: Hemlock Wraithfighter's Spirit Stones.
Answer: Yes. (Precedent set for combat shield's in the Space Marine FAQ)

Orks
Ramshackle
Question: Do DX damage weapons count as having a damage characteristic of more than 1 since they can potentially only deal 1 damage?
Solution 1: change the wording on ramshackle to "weapons with a damage characteristic other than 1"
Solution 2: DX weapons would not trigger ramshackle.
Last edited by Bojazz on Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 44 times in total.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Bojazz

Re: Let's make a MWG community FAQ for 8th!

Post by Bojazz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:23 pm

I'll start! While reading through the Craftworlds stuff, I noticed a rather ambiguous wording on Fortune:

Fortune: ..."Whenever that unit suffers a wound, roll a D6. On a 5+ that wound is ignored. If a unit already has an ability with a similar effect (e.g. The Avatar of Khaine's Molten Body ability) this psychic power does not affect them.

What qualifies as "a similar effect"? How similar does an ability have to be before fortune can't affect a unit?

The Avatar's rule is used as an example, so anything with wording that matches that is self-explanatory:
Avatar's Molten Body: Roll a D6 whenever the Avatar of Khaine suffers a wound or mortal wound. on a 5+ that wound is ignored.
Many phoenix lords and characters also have an ability with the same wording, so those are covered - no additional benefit from Fortune.

What about these other potentially "similar" rules?
Ghosthelm - roll a D6 whenever this model suffers a mortal wound. on a roll of 5+ that wound is ignored.
Spirit Stones: Roll a D6 whenever this model suffers an unsaved wound or mortal wound. on a 6+ the wound is ignored.

Can Fortune affect a character with a Ghosthelm? What about a vehicle with Spirit Stones? If it can affect the unit with Spirit Stones, does it stack with, or replace the spirit stone effect?

I posted this on Dakka, and some people suggested merging the rules so that only one wound negation roll could ever be taken, but you always had the benefit of choosing which one you wanted. There also seems to be a slight timing difference, as Spirit Stones says "unsaved wounds" whereas everything else just says "wounds", so I'm assuming you roll your Fortune negation BEFORE saves, and Spirit Stones, AFTER saves.
Orks - Power Level 70

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Another Scenario:
The Wave Serpent's Serpent Shield ability says:
"once per battle a Wave Serpent can discharge its Serpent Shield. If it does so, roll a D6. On a 2+, the nearest visible enemy unit within 24" suffers D3 mortal wounds. The Wave Serpent then gains no benefit from this ability for the remainder of the battle.

There is no timing associated with this ability. It not described as a shooting attack and there is no targeting involved, so can you use this ability at any time you wish? During the enemy turn?
Orks - Power Level 70

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Personally I would play the Wave Serpents shield as an instant effect that you use at any point during YOUR turn and not your opponents. Gives me some soulburst flashbacks id rather not have if you can Wave serpent blast during the opponents turns.

As for fortune, I will be playing it in that you would get Spiritstones and Fortune since they occur at different times during wound allocation and saves. I would classify fortune and Ghosthelm as being similar effects and having them not stack however since they both simply say wounds.

Good idea though, maybe If we are lucky a Mod can sticky for us
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:24 pm

On a sidenote, how did everyone else manage to get their book copies so quick? Im still waiting to pre-order and I have seen some people walking around with the New rulebook already. Talk about feeling left out :(
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:28 pm

The problem I see with not allowing Fortune to be cast on units with Ghosthelms is that they offer negation rolls against different types of Wounds. Fortune vs normal wounds only and Ghosthelms vs mortal wounds only. So a model with a Ghosthelm would have no extra line of defense vs a normal wound. The rules are certainly similar though, so it's not crazy to assume you cannot cast Fortune on them. I've added it to the FAQ as a possible solution.
Orks - Power Level 70

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:26 am

New question:

Can negative "to hit" modifiers make it impossible to hit a unit? I haven't seen a rule in the rulebook that says "a roll of 6 always hits irrespective of any modifiers" like with saving throws. What do you guys think? Intended? Or should 6s always hit?
Orks - Power Level 70

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:41 pm

Alright, so +1 for solution 1 then!
Orks - Power Level 70

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:43 pm

So in Matt and Dave's first 8th edition game, they brought up an interesting rule conundrum.

Units that pile in must do so in a way that they end their move closer to the nearest enemy model than where they started while also remaining in coherency. This results in wonky situations where some of your models may be closer to a different enemy unit than the rest of their unit. They cannot pile in towards the same unit as the rest of their team because they are not the closest, and they cannot pile in towards the other unit because it would take them out of coherency. They are in Pile in limbo. Pilimbo.

What do you guys think about this? Intended or not? Will you be house ruling it?
Orks - Power Level 70

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Will you edit the header as people add new suggestions? Otherwise, I think the FAQ might be lost in the tons of posts that will follow. I'm willing to stick it by the way if you're willing to keep it updated.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Absolutely! I've already been keeping the various solutions and questions in the OP so far. I'm on almost every day so I'll make sure the OP is always current!
Orks - Power Level 70

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:57 pm

Excellent then! I'm sticking it! I just wanted to escape how many of the various "tacticas" were just like 20 pages of comments with no organisation and that you had to basically read the whole 20 pages to find what you wanted to know.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:03 pm

Haha yeah. Since those tacticas will be mostly outdated next week, perhaps you could let a few of them fall into forum oblivion!
Orks - Power Level 70