Noob needs advice

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Peddiwinkle
Bronze Vault Member

Noob needs advice

Post by Peddiwinkle » Sun May 07, 2017 8:09 pm

Hi All,

I've been watching MWG bat reps for ages and it makes me want to get into 40k and AoS.

I have an AoS army set that I'd like to collect but am a bit lost on a 40k army.

I love the look of tyranids but from research I've done, people say that they are quite an advanced army to learn and use for a newcomer due to all the special rules that early every model has, and the way theor synapse works and having to ensure all your models essential work together. I just love the models they look so awesome! Who doesnt love massive towering alien creatures thag can crush humies and alike under foot! On the other hand I like the look of necrons aswell. I'm not sure about collecting two armies just yet and so I am just wanting to start out first.

I need some expert advice into what I should really look for when picking an army. Are tyranids hard to play and are they really that complex as people have suggested and would a noob be best avoiding them at first and start with something a bit simpler such as necrons?

Thanks.

Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: Noob needs advice

Post by Signet-Powers » Sun May 07, 2017 8:28 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Fortunately we have a new edition of 40K coming sometime in the next couple of months, with a complete reboot of the rule-set to work very similar to AOS and every army being compeltely rebalanced based on the advice from tournament players.

So, the best advice right now is to hold on and keep up to date on the new stuff coming in. Although with the changes to bolter AP, charging, and the removal of templates it's looking pretty good for hordes and close combat armies (that includes Tyranids). But there's still more info to come out that we don't know yet...

Honestly though, even if an army isn't that competitive, if it's the one you like the most, it's the one you should get. I spend more time in this hobby with the modelling and playing friendly games than I do playing competitive tournaments. That's why I went with Guard, and never regreted it.

So if you want to go Tyranids, go Tyranids. I'd just wait a couple of weeks though.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sun May 07, 2017 8:36 pm

First and foremost, collecting an army is a major investment. Don't go for what's easy or good. Go for what you love. If you love the Tyranids, which it sounds like you do, then collect them.

In the current edition, Tyranids are considered a weak and non-competitive army. Not because they're an advanced army to play. More because they can't compete with the power creep of the newer codices.

However, a new edition of the game, 8th Ed, is being released this year, rumoured to be in June. This edition, as GW is releasing information about it every day, is completely reworking the game (the same way Age of Sigmar did with Fantasy) from the ground up, with a focus on balance across all armies. New rules for all armies will be released with the release of the new edition. As such, the Tyranid army may become a viable army once again, and may work differently, with many units people would say never to take potentially becoming useful.

Because of this, and my first statement, go with what you love. As you start collecting, relax and buy what you like. Maybe play a game or two if you get enough models by then. Once 8th Edition is released, you can learn the new rules and find out what you like the sound of and expand with those models.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Peddiwinkle
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Peddiwinkle » Mon May 08, 2017 12:33 am

Thanks for the advice so far. Sounds like waiting till 8th edition might be the way. I do think tyranids will be a good challenge to paint aswell which would be fun. Necrons do like rather nice also and may pose some challenge to painting too. I will keep my eyes out for info in changes k 8th edition and keep making my choice.

Thanks again :)

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon May 08, 2017 12:45 am

Welcome aboard. Sounds like good advice above. Bottom line for me would be to concentrate on AOS now and get into 40K with the new rules. Read all the fluff and pick the army that calls to you. Don't worry about how hard it is to play. How it plays (close combat, movement etc) is more important. But most important is how much you can identify and get into your army. Otherwise you will learn the game, not like your army and start over.

I started with Dark Eldar which in fifth was a glass hammer and hard to play. But loved the models and the game style they played. Over time I got better.

Peddiwinkle
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Peddiwinkle » Mon May 08, 2017 2:52 am

Been doing some research on lore for necrons and tyranids and kind of like the lore for necrons slot more which is kind of turning me towards them the most. They sound Interesting with their background and history.

Thanks all though for your responses I appreciate the advice :)

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon May 08, 2017 6:07 am

my son plays necrons. Not terribly hard to paint. He also plays tyranids. Since those are what you are looking at, here is his mascot for his necron army.

Donteatrawhagis
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Donteatrawhagis » Mon May 08, 2017 9:26 am

Peddiwinkle wrote:Been doing some research on lore for necrons and tyranids and kind of like the lore for necrons slot more which is kind of turning me towards them the most. They sound Interesting with their background and history.

Thanks all though for your responses I appreciate the advice :)
I recommend trying to play the Dawn of War games. They aren't the most advance games now but they will help introduce the lore for you.

Dawn of War 2 Retribution has a Tyranid campaign.

Dark Crusade has necrons but is very less story driven.
Writer/Programmer

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon May 08, 2017 10:19 am

The problem with Dawn of War: Dark Crusade is that it was based on the older lore where the C'tans were the true leaders and the Necrons were terminator like relentless killers, but without much free thought left. So the Necron Lord doesn't speak even once and you have access to Necron Pariahs which are gone right now. Personally, I prefer these ones compared to the current squabbling Phareons, but the game would't do a good job at giving an idea of the faction's mentality.

Personally, long ago (around 2001), the Tyranids had been my first army (I even got a 2nd edition termagaunts box and a bunch of metal Gargoyles), but one of my friend beated me in starting playing them for real and ended up going for Thousand Sons. I've always held an interest into them nevertheless and while they aren't strongest right now, there is something exhilarating at playing the relentless monsters coming to consume the entire galaxy like they did with many others before. Whatever faction you choose to play in the end, follow your heart and not your reason. The power level will change over time, but if you trully love your fluff and models, your commitment can last for decades. I'm playing my Thousand Sons since 2001 and I've never looked back despite having models that are overpriced and non competitive for the larger part of the period. It has been only really recently that they have become a force of respectable strength. But it never made me regret my choice, not even once. Pick the army you love the most and you probably won't regret it.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Peddiwinkle
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Peddiwinkle » Tue May 09, 2017 1:19 am

Yea I've played all the dawn of war games and love playing necrons in dark crusade and soulstorm.

The lore of necrons is rather interesting. I may also wait till 8th edition too with the revised rules so still have time to make up my mind also.

AriaSilverfyre
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by AriaSilverfyre » Tue May 09, 2017 9:18 am

I agree with what the others have already said, go with what you like best.

I also first started back in '01 with Tyranids. I settled on them mostly due to the fact that there was no specific painting theme they had to be done in and that left me free to do whatever I want, unlike doing something like Dark Angels or Ultramarines. The tidbits of lore, I found to be pretty cool too.

I've never been much of a competitive player, so the lack of effectiveness in tournaments was never an issue for me. I am looking forward to being able to dig out some of my older models and use them again in 8th edition (*fingers crossed*).
'Nid Momma, Genestealer Cultist Matriarch, Handmaiden to Alarielle's Will