8th edition model building

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
MetalNids
MiniWarGaming Veteran

8th edition model building

Post by MetalNids » Fri May 05, 2017 11:06 am

So with all of the talk of new rules for this, that, and the other going on...how many of you have stopped building models until you see all of the rules? Has it stalled your purchasing of new units, or have you gone out and bought units you did not buy before because the rules sucked at the time and you hope 8th edition fixes them?

For me, I am not buying much of anything, maybe a couple single models to fill character roles. Just trying to finish building what I had already planned to build before the new edition hits. Though I am holding a few models back though to have available in case something comes out that I really like.

Whitewing
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: 8th edition model building

Post by Whitewing » Fri May 05, 2017 12:04 pm

I stopped buying things almost a year ago, got fed up with the state of things and started just playing occasionally with my close friends. If anything the announcements of 8th Edition have reinvigorated the joy of hobby for me and my friends, we're all getting back into it right now.
Check out my Chaos Daemons Tactica! I'm super proud of it :D

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri May 05, 2017 1:58 pm

As a Thousand Sons, I have to say that I never had to hold up buying stuff for two reasons. First, if I'm going to play them for real, I have very little variations in units so I will have play my Rubric Marines and Sorcerers whatever happens. I have a little more diversity right now, but it still mostly the same. Secondly, I'm used to have overpriced and not so optimised models so whatever they do, it can't really get any worse.

They claim that they made extra efforts so that the new edition will be the most balanced they ever did. Not sure how much I should believe them yet, but they have specifically stated that they wanted every single model to be viable and even mentionned the infamous pyrovore. So, I don't think we should be too worried about it. The biggest issue is knowing how army building impacted by the new rules. That might be more important for determining what you should and shouldn't buy or build. I bought a 2nd box of Exalted Sorcerers recently, but with announced demise of formations, I'm not sure if I will be able to field as many sorcerers as this with the new rules, so it might prudent to stop making purchases of HQ models and other rarer stuff that some formations allowed you to take en masse.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Fri May 05, 2017 6:13 pm

I mean, I stopped getting more models more cause of money than cause of 8th edition to be honest.
That and due to some recent purchases I have 2 formations of stuff to paint plus my New Eldar, alongside any previous projects I had. So it is more of a fact that I have so much stuff that it encourages me to be patient and to wait for 8th edition before buying more. If anything I may buy a box of death company for bits or Saguinary guard. But that is really it for me right now.
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Fri May 05, 2017 7:16 pm

I'm still going strong. I've always bought models because I liked them rather than how they played in the game, so 8th edition coming out doesn't really having much bearing on whether or not I want to grab that extra box I've been eyeing for a while. I just recently bought an AOS Mistweaver Saih to represent a Spiritseer since I don't like the Spiritseer model.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri May 05, 2017 7:33 pm

Well I won't build a new army yet til I see how stuff works. I'd really like to start a Tau force. But I have quite a lot going on with my orks anyway.

And speaking of orks - yes I'm still buying! I have units that I do need, like tankbustas, that I don't have. I doubt they'll be useless despite editions changing. Also with the new rules, I think some stuff like the Ork BurnaBoyz (I know some have sworn by them, I have bad luck thus far with them tho) and hopefully the Gorka/Morkanaut will get good. I've not fielded that latter, but a lot of the batreps I see, it's just a huge target. Anyway, so with the edition change, and vehicle changes, I'm hoping to actually buy one soon!

Also holding out hopes we'll get some monstrous ork thing =D Guess we'll see though.

Tbh one of the things that is extremely enticing right now from GW is simply the new Mechanicus terrain. The crane for instance looks awesome and kitbashable with orks for many things (though right now I'm thinking maybe a grot tank)
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Donteatrawhagis
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Donteatrawhagis » Sat May 06, 2017 7:29 am

I'd buy some of the cheaper models that people sell on EBay. Like the Gorkanaut or Morkanaut.

It's risky, but it feels like they are going to balance some models. So I might buy a deff dread, start collecting box. But in particular I'd hold off choosing weapons for squads.
Writer/Programmer