How to not collect an army

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: How to not collect an army

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:01 pm

Well, personally I go on my financial institution website, look at my bank account and I look at what amount of money I have left. Then I estimate what cost my vital needs and if I have a margin, I may indulge in the hobby. If not, the simple look at my finances pretty much cut down all my willingness to buy new stuff... I have debts you see. :D Sometimes looking at the hard truth has the effect of a cold shower.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:37 am

That is a question I have always failed to answer for my self :)

MetalNids
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by MetalNids » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:03 am

I base my buying on need. Do I need this unit or that unit, or can I kit bash it from bits I have laying around. If I can kit bash, then I kit bash. But I also make sure the unit fits my army. I won't buy a unit just to say I have it. If I am not going to actually use it on a regular basis, then I won't make it a priority purchase/kit bash.

When it comes to a new army. I have to like the fluff that goes with it. I will not start a new army based strictly on what a model(s) looks like. I have to have a good background for that army to get my interest going. Way to many power players who pick an army because they have the best killing weapons available. I play for fun, not to win all the time.
I play the following Warhammer 40K armies:
Bugs
CSM
Harlequins
Cult Mechanicus
Chaos Demons

Iguana1981
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Iguana1981 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:24 pm

blippityblip wrote:How do you guys stop yourselves from overendulging in the hobby?

Or should I just go for it? Rumours have the new starter will contain death guard
When you work it out, please, please, tell me! I
Chaos ~ 679PL/11998 Dark Angels ~ 282PL/5449 Tau ~ 121PL /2152 Eldar ~ 217PL/3828

Chrissmith785 on Instagram

Donteatrawhagis
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Donteatrawhagis » Mon May 01, 2017 8:41 am

I stopped buying models with money and relied on gift cards and winning tournament raffles.

Also I'm subscribed to a hundred mailing lists just in case they have a contest.
Writer/Programmer

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon May 01, 2017 9:20 am

Another thing I've found is that I might have temporary urges of naking this and that army, but by waiting before going to the store, these urges end up passing and I realise that my commitment wasn't strong. By example, in March, I really wanted to make a Dark Eldar army, but since I had limited ressources I didn't buy the Start Collect that I wanted to take and when the rumors of the 8th edition became more and more clear, I realised it wasn't the good time and wasn't that interested. I need to finish my TS and 30k AL first. So waiting a little before going in a buying spree can clear your mind of unconsidered projects.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Mecha82
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mecha82 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:42 am

Back in day I bought some models for my BA like Assault Terminators, Land Raider and Dreadnought that I didn't end up using back when I didn't stick with army list that I had made when buying new models. Even then I never went overboard with those. More than that I have had projects in mind that I started but I ended up dropping because of loss of interest like happened with both Tau and Necrons.
Warhammer 40k:
Blood Angels
Dark Angels

Somethings never change.

It was already broken when I got here.

Adrillf
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Adrillf » Tue May 02, 2017 12:08 pm

My rule right now is that I'm not allowed to buy anything new until what I have is painted. I've always enjoyed seeing finished armies, so that's my rule.

The other rule I had for a bit was that anything purchased had to be part of a list. If it wasn't part of my 1500, 1850, or later my 2000 point list for that army, I wasn't allowed to buy it. The problem with that is that I wanted diversity within my list, and I kept increasing the point cost. I didn't need X for my 1500 list, but it could totally work in a 2000 list.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Tue May 02, 2017 1:04 pm

Ehh basically I'm in a fairly privileged position. Old enough to have most debts paid, with a spouse having a good job, allowing me to have a small part time job that I can use all my income for my hobbies.

Otherwise I rely a lot on just the army aesthetics. If I don't 100% like them, I won't buy it. If I do 100% like them, like my orks and skaven, I work on collecting everything, but mainly through trades and ebay - I try very hard not to buy the latest 'hot' model. I also am trying a lot harder to get an actual army done, so I make myself work on say the infantry models, before I get to buy a new character model etc.

And stay off the Forgeworld site. Therein lies madness.

LOL
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)