Some 8th Ed changes revealed

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Whitewing
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Some 8th Ed changes revealed

Post by Whitewing » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:01 pm

So today Games Workshop pulled the curtain back a little at Adepticon, discussing a handful of upcoming changes we can look forward to in 8th Edition, and while one of these changes has me a little nervous, overall they sound like they could be good! I'll go through them as best I can:
  • 1: Ways to play. Confirmed 3 play methods, Open, Narrative and Matched. Presumably these would be Unbound, Bound and a new Narrative method similar to AoS narrative play.

2: Army Selection. A new system called Command Points to reward players for taking themed armies, possibly a replacement for the formation system we're using now? Collect a number of command points to unlock special rules perhaps?

3: Movement. The Move value is back. I like this change, and it should help a lot of the more assaulty armies feel fast and different.

4: Shooting. Armour save modifiers are coming. Not sure why this was relegated to just "shooting", when logically it should apply to melee weapons as well, but we should be seeing armour modifiers again. I like this from the perspective of balance, but it's an odd choice given that the company wants to simplify rules, as this adds an element of calculation to combat.

5: Charging. Charging units strike first. As a died-in-the-wool Daemons player I am super excited by this, my Khorne and Nurgle combat armies should be significantly improved by this change alone.

6: Morale. No more break tests, now everybody is a Daemon! Roll a D6, add the number of casualties, subtract Leadership, take that many additional casualties.
Overall I am excited and happy about these changes, the only one I feel any trepidation about is the "3 Ways to Play" and the Command Points, just hoping these are implemented well. And now we wait for it to be released, fun times ahead!
Check out my Chaos Daemons Tactica! I'm super proud of it :D

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Some 8th Ed changes revealed

Post by SweetSorrow » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:36 pm

When do we think 8th edition is going to drop?
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Whitewing

Post by Whitewing » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:47 pm

Ronin wrote:I'm assuming 2018 because they said they'll reveal more next Adepticon.
They also said hopefully next year's Adepticon will be using 8th Ed rules, so MAAAAAAYBE we'll get it before then.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:11 am

SweetSorrow wrote:When do we think 8th edition is going to drop?
All rumours have been pointing to a summer release, so very soon (unless you're in Australia. Then it's a winter release).
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:48 am

My Guard and Chaos armies have been pretty robust so far, if the new rules are done well, I say: "Bring it!"
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

steam

Post by steam » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:17 pm

6: Morale. No more break tests, now everybody is a Daemon! Roll a D6, add the number of casualties, subtract Leadership, take that many additional casualties.
This is the only rule that I hate

Whitewing

Post by Whitewing » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:19 pm

steam wrote:
This is the only rule that I hate
I actually think it could be a superior rule in a lot of cases. Let's make an example to demonstrate:

You have a unit of Tactical marines with a sergeant locked in combat with an enemy unit. You roll badly and deal no wounds, while your opponent kills 3 Space Marines. Do you roll for a break test? NOPE. No need to, the maximum number you could get to in 9 (6 on a D6, plus the 3 casualties) which is equal to your Leadership. It reinforces that armies with high leadership do not break easily, while making armies with low leadership more fragile in close combat.

Imperia

Post by Imperia » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:19 am

I think the move rule could be great and terrible at the same time, being dependent on the codex itself, I feel that Eldar will become stronger than they already are and Orks even worse. It is obvious that Eldar being the 'Elegant Fragile Dancers' will become very fast, especially jetbikes, then poor Orks, supposed to be sluggish and slow, same with necrons will become very slow, and their Vehicles won't catch up either, it is more reason to not bother with normal infantry, especially with CC purposes. It will come to a point when it will be extremely hard to ever get close to a unit, and with Eldar having a rule where they can run and shoot, they will have high movespeeds, compared to other units.

It worked in WHF, I just don't feel like it will here, there are no facings, more guns, and technology meaning tonnes more rules and weaponry being thrown around to be abused. It isn't bows that take out a few swordsmen, it's shuriken guns that take out entire Terminator Squads.

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:30 am

The main thing I can see being a problem is immune to battleshock stuff. In current 40k, there are very few armies left that actually use morale and most armies have some way of getting around it. I mean even chaos can get army wide fearless now!

If all this translates into immune to battleshock it is going to be a pointless change.

It might solve ATSKNF though, at least marines won't be running and rallying like nothing happened.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:01 am

Imperia wrote:then poor Orks, supposed to be sluggish and slow
Orks are sluggish and slow in Age of Sigmar, too. Have you seen them, though? They can easily get first turn charges off and can have their entire army past the middle of the board before they even move.

There's a way to make 'slow and sluggish' work, and GW knows it. I'm not afraid.
Whitewing wrote:You have a unit of Tactical marines with a sergeant locked in combat with an enemy unit. You roll badly and deal no wounds, while your opponent kills 3 Space Marines. Do you roll for a break test? NOPE. No need to, the maximum number you could get to in 9 (6 on a D6, plus the 3 casualties) which is equal to your Leadership. It reinforces that armies with high leadership do not break easily, while making armies with low leadership more fragile in close combat.
You assume Tactical Marines would retain a leadership value of 9. Even Sigmarites, who are (let's face it), Age of Sigmar Space Marines, don't have Ld 9 standard (Ld 6-7, which means 1-2 casualties are enough to threaten further morale casualties). Don't forget that with these changes to the main rulebook, everything is going to change. Very possibly, so too will the rules. With Age of Sigmar, every single unit got new (freely available) rules on launch. I will be expecting no less, here. Considering the rumours that special rules and weapon stats will appear on each unit's individual dataslates, just like Age of Sigmar, that's a strong sign my expectation is correct.

"Eldar will get more powerful", indeed, unless their entire ruleset changes to fit the new rules.

Let's wait and see before start crying about worse balance. With the release of the General's Handbook in Age of Sigmar, the community feedback expressed that every single army, including the discontinued Fantasy ones, felt pretty close to spot on, balance-wise, and I will put my trust in GW to be able to follow suit with 40k.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

KamikazeNewf
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by KamikazeNewf » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:11 pm

Honestly if they brought a Movement stat back then I hope charges are 2D6+Movement. Also, if the charging was similar to AoS and you roll your charge then pick your target would be amazing. I would be so happy!

I do hope they do not remove the Initiative stat though, I hope the "if you charge you attack first" is when you charge you gain the rule "always strikes first" or something along those lines. I dislike the combat in Sigmar where you have to hop from combat to combat picking who attacks first, I prefer the complete a combat, move to next one style.
Dese Orkz iz made fer fightin, an dats just wat deyle do
Wun of dese dayz dese Orkz is gunna WAAGH!! all ova you!

steam

Post by steam » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:41 pm

I do hope they do not remove the Initiative stat though, I hope the "if you charge you attack first" is when you charge you gain the rule "always strikes first" or something along those lines. I dislike the combat in Sigmar where you have to hop from combat to combat picking who attacks first, I prefer the complete a combat, move to next one style.
10000% agree