GW Teasers/Rumours Discussion

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Raschier
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: GW Teasers/Rumours Discussion

Post by Raschier » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:19 pm

A 30" ranged plasma gun is quite good, with a 15" rapid fire range means you might get off another rapid fire volley before the enemy charge you (a 9" inch charge is less likely to hit then an 6" charge). I agree that it is not super powerful, but it is not bad either.
Don’t miss tomorrow’s preview, where we’ll be looking at the Valhallans, the highly anticipated changes to conscripts, and the return of a classic and much-loved rule…
I think "Send in the next wave" might see a come back, and the conscripts probably get a nerf aswell.

A 30" ranged plasma gun is quite good, with a 15" rapid fire range means you might get off another rapid fire volley before the enemy charge you (a 9" inch charge is less likely to hit then an 6" charge). I agree that it is not super powerful, but it is not bad either.

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by blippityblip » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:45 pm

I quite like the double tap option for Leman russ's, when I play I use a lot of terrain, so there isn't many places you can just sit and fire from, you need to move about, so to use the rule either the opponent has to leave a unit in front of your tanks or you have to have had manoeuvred yourself there previously
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:08 am

blippityblip wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:45 pm
I quite like the double tap option for Leman russ's, when I play I use a lot of terrain, so there isn't many places you can just sit and fire from, you need to move about, so to use the rule either the opponent has to leave a unit in front of your tanks or you have to have had manoeuvred yourself there previously
That's pretty key, to be honest. I see way too many 'planet bowling ball' tables where a model like a Leman Russ, or anything taller can literally draw line of sight to anything on the board. How many people move their heavy weapons vehicles beyond "Uh oh, they're getting closer..."

Put a few line of sight blocking terrain pieces around, especially in No Man's Land. Give places for advancing units to hide. Force people to have to maneuver with their big guns for once. Especially now, when you only suffer a -1, instead of snap shotting.

And people wonder why shooting armies were and are so good....
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:38 am

Rapid fire at fifteen inches doesn't seem too bad. Not as good as the mordian stuff though.

Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Signet-Powers » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:20 am

I don't think the Vostroyan rule is bad, in fact I think it's better than the Mordians (the order to shoot characters is great but I feel it's a but situational), I just vastly prefer the Catachan rules. In fact I feel it may be a smidge broken. Strength 4 puts us on close, if not even terms with marines in assault and the vehicle reroll combined with Tank commanders and shooting twice is a lot for an opponent to contend with.

Now, my army is made of Cadian models (though they aren't Cadians) but GW endorses kitbashing in the new codex so I'll justify using other regiments that way. I'll see what the bee Cadian rules are first though.

Signet-Powers

Post by Signet-Powers » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:43 pm

Next regiment; Vallhallans:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-2/

hilights (I'll be putting them in a spoiler as there's a few and to make it easier for people on phones to go through this thread):
[+] Expand
Geedubs wrote:"Conscripts have seen some changes in the new Astra Militarum codex, designed to make them fit their background more appropriately. If you’ve got loads of these guys on hand, don’t worry! They’re still a very handy unit (particularly in the Valhallan army). Firstly, Conscripts can only be taken in units of 20-30, reducing the effectiveness of stacking orders on a block of 50. Secondly, orders only work on Conscripts on a 4+, and, should they fail, no more orders will work on the unit for the rest of the turn."

Personally I really like the look of that unique order. The limit to morale losses is fine but if I'm taking a commissar i'd get the same effect. Vehicle damage chart buff is great, but with that "send in the next wave" strategem it seems like conscripts actually got a buff if you're taking vallhallens, orders on a 4+ and 30 man limit aside.

Also, obigatory:

Also some stuff on the Baneblade varients. Steel behemoth now means they don't take a -1 penalty to heavy weapons when they move and the new strategum allows us to make them WS2+ for 1CP :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:51 am

I'm really looking forward to the tallarn rules as I got about 50 of those lying around at home!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

coldsteel

Post by coldsteel » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:15 pm

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Re ... aisus-2017

Really? 5'6" by 3'4"...? Getting tired of these 'off' dimensions...
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm leaning towards Valhallans for my army until they release the rules for Elysians. My army is supposed to be based on the US Army Rangers so I like the feeling of mental resiliency.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:42 pm

coldsteel wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:15 pm

You tell me to play on a 6'x4' board, then cut 3" off of all 4 sides? But... Why? Your old realm of battle boards were 2'x2' sections, which made a perfect 6'x4' board....
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:43 pm

Yeah gw really shot themselves on the foot not making it the standard table size. It was a tempting purchase until I read the dimensions.

Signet-Powers

Post by Signet-Powers » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:36 pm

I'm a bit late on this but here we are:

Armageddon!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-2/

Hilights:
[+] Expand
A lot of interesting stuff here. I like the increased rapid fire range, as well as the re-roll 1 stratagem.

And that "mount up" order could allow for some shennanigans, if you park a transport right next to the squad, use the order to embark the transport, then advance it so the squad can still move somewhere else and instantly disembark next turn.

( EDIT: it wouldn't work on Valkyries as they can't take the Armageddon regiment name but ah well...)

The Heirlooms are cool too. My Lord Commissar WILL be making good use of that sword.

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by blippityblip » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:59 am

Signet-Powers wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:36 pm

And that "mount up" order could allow for some shennanigans, if you park a transport right next to the squad, use the order to embark the transport, then advance it so the squad can still move somewhere else and instantly disembark next turn.
You advance in the movement phase and orders are done in the shooting phase so you wouldn't be able to do that, you could use it to keep a unit safe for an opponents turn, would only work once though, you could fire then hide them in the chimera, then next turn jump them out and fire again, the rule says you can't use it on a unit that disembarked so you wouldn't be able to then do it again, I'd of liked it to work on a unit that had disembarked, so they can move up get out shoot and jump back in, I guess that way though could be a little broken
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

Signet-Powers

Post by Signet-Powers » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:47 am

blippityblip wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:59 am
You advance in the movement phase and orders are done in the shooting phase so you wouldn't be able to do that,
Whoops, I had a little brain fart there.

coldsteel

Post by coldsteel » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:26 pm

Koonitz wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:42 pm
coldsteel wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:15 pm

You tell me to play on a 6'x4' board, then cut 3" off of all 4 sides? But... Why? Your old realm of battle boards were 2'x2' sections, which made a perfect 6'x4' board....
I've seen people talking about it on FB and it looks like the set is being geared towards the people playing on, say, a dining room table instead of a ready-made table. Also, the dimension lets it fit in an A4 box...
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)