Anyone buy a Start Collecting! bundle?

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
ParanoidEngineer
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Anyone buy a Start Collecting! bundle?

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:44 pm

I picked up an AdMech force to bulk my collection, because £50 for a set with a £40 model and free unique formation is gross. I'm not starting my collection though so am I breaking the law by buying it? Maybe.

Anyone tempted by a bundle? Impressed by the value some of them bestow and depressed by the lack of value in others?
I can't think of a witty signature.

Scavvon
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Anyone buy a Start Collecting! bundle?

Post by Scavvon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:03 pm

Without buying the bundle how do you know how good the formation that comes with it is?

Does someone have a list?

Wyrst

Post by Wyrst » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:19 pm

Definitely getting that AdMech one as well. Goes nicely with the Elimination Maniple I picked up earlier. The Space Marine is nice too, but that's just because of the Captain model really. In terms of value, I guess the Tau one is the best buy. If I recall correctly, you get an ethereal and a squad of fire warriors for free. All for the price of a box of Crisis suits.

ParanoidEngineer

Post by ParanoidEngineer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:40 pm

Scavvon wrote:Without buying the bundle how do you know how good the formation that comes with it is?

Does someone have a list?
I don't know it's good necessarily, but I imagine it'll be pretty solid for small games. But given that the other unique formation I can buy for my AdMech costs £500, I'm quite happy with this deal!
I can't think of a witty signature.

Imperia

Post by Imperia » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:06 pm

The value of these are really good, I'm quite surprised, but very sadly not one of them has models I want for any army that I play, I was gonna start up Tau, but 0 of the models in it I don't need except maybe the fire warriors could be pathfinders. Otherwise perhaps due to these I might start up an army I may never have thought of before, being that I can get a decent amount of points for what seems to be on average about $156NZD but some of the bundles have really absurd units, like the DE pack having only haemonculus units, whereas kabalites are far more common and baseline.

I am very interested in picking up at least one, just maybe as a little 'look at collection'

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:53 pm

I picked up the Stormklaw set a long while ago because of the value, and ended up collecting Orks because of it. The space wolves are still sitting on their sprues though. No idea what to do with them. Tried eating them, but they taste horrid.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:01 pm

Since I have misplaced that lovely Ad Mech army I painted (I think I left it at my last job), I am definitely eyeballing the Skitarii bundle. Ideally, I would like to pick up two or three to build up as an allied force to my GK's. Plan on painting them as being a force from Deimos.

But, that it is a ways off at the moment.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Imperia

Post by Imperia » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:08 pm

Anyone know how long they are supposed to hang around for?

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:45 pm

Imperia wrote:Anyone know how long they are supposed to hang around for?
Rumour has it they are a permanent fixture now. Fingers crossed that is the case.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Imperia

Post by Imperia » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:19 pm

I hope they make one for every army, and every sub army (Chaos Gods, SM chapters etc) and maybe even mix it up every few months, or at least have variations, so that maybe a new Tau player who doesn't want an ethereal can get a fireblade or something.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:29 pm

My theory about Chaos Space Marines is that they are waiting for new miniatures to be released or a new book. By example, the current Chaos Space Marines squad was released in late 3rd edition and updated I think in the 5th (they added banners, more special weapons, 2 more marines and a few new choices of heads, but the base sculpts are the same). The Obliterators too were released in the late 3rd edition to replace the very small 2nd edition Obliterators. So, in short, there may be a big update on the models incoming. At least, that's what I saw on Bell of Lost Souls, but they are known to mix their dreams with reality, so it may be just that they don't care about Chaos like it's usually the case since 4th edition.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Imperia

Post by Imperia » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:26 am

Chaos really need some updates on some models *cough* Havocs *cough* real Noise Marine squad *cough* *cough* *cough* Maybe after the codex they will make new starter boxes with new models from each new god, could mean that daemons won't get any new khorne units? or at least no updates on their range seeing the bloodthirster already got a new model whereas the other 3 are still old.

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by rollplayinggamer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:43 am

The tyranid box set, (from dollars at least) is crazy good value. Hive tyrant, Warriors. And a box of gargoyles for $85. You practically get the gargoyles for free.

The necron one you practically get the overlord for free.

The best one US currency wise is the tau one though. 3 crisis suits, 10 tau warriors and a cool ethereal + all the drones and stuff.
Considering crisis suits are 75 dollars anyways. 85 is not a bad price to pay. I'll probably buy the tyranid one when i have the money though.
40k armies:
'Nids Hive Fleet Mantis 2000+ pts
Ork Goffs / Orks 1700+ pts
Ragnar Blackmane's Great Company 600+ pts

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by coldsteel » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:50 am

Agreed, RPG, been wanting a small Tau force for demos, and that'd work well with the box of Fire Warriors I picked up before.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)