Bring back the old Necrons!

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
DoomDwarf
Now we're getting somewhere...

Bring back the old Necrons!

Post by DoomDwarf » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:12 am

General-Kroll wrote:I'd rather they bought back Squats first :P
*sigh* you really wouldn't
Please sign this petition;
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/brin ... ld-necrons
Also, mind answering this quick poll?
http://goo.gl/6MiUOT

Scavvon
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Bring back the old Necrons!

Post by Scavvon » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:10 pm

DoomDwarf wrote:
General-Kroll wrote:I'd rather they bought back Squats first :P
*sigh* you really wouldn't
Oh no. Squats are great. They are thinking intelligent beings with their own drives and motives, even grudges!!

Necrons are just mindless metal Tyranids. There I said it. Necrons = zero story potential

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:54 pm

I will get lynched, but I never liked the Squat.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:10 pm

Scavvon wrote:Necrons are just mindless metal Tyranids. There I said it. Necrons = zero story potential
If you believe this (and are not just trolling, which is what I suspect this entire thread is all about), you'd know that this is patently NOT the case. The re-do of the fluff in the 6th Edition Codex was probably the best thing Matt Ward ever did at GW (an admittedly low bar, because so much of his other stuff was crap). With the introduction of the stuff about the dynasties and the Silent King and the Praetorians and whatnot, the Necrons got a LOT more character than they ever had in previous editions. Now you have Necrons who might want to exterminate all biological life as well as Necrons who want to protect and study all biological life as a means to potentially reverse biotransferrance. The race as a whole got more interesting, not less interesting.

And the newer models are way better than the old models. If there was an anti-petition to keep the new style, that's the one I'd be signing.

Scavvon
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Scavvon » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:56 pm

Munin wrote:
Scavvon wrote:Necrons are just mindless metal Tyranids. There I said it. Necrons = zero story potential
If you believe this (and are not just trolling, which is what I suspect this entire thread is all about), you'd know that this is patently NOT the case. The re-do of the fluff in the 6th Edition Codex was probably the best thing Matt Ward ever did at GW (an admittedly low bar, because so much of his other stuff was crap). With the introduction of the stuff about the dynasties and the Silent King and the Praetorians and whatnot, the Necrons got a LOT more character than they ever had in previous editions. Now you have Necrons who might want to exterminate all biological life as well as Necrons who want to protect and study all biological life as a means to potentially reverse biotransferrance. The race as a whole got more interesting, not less interesting.
I'm dead serious about Necrons having little to no story potential. Go see my examples in the Squats! Squats! Squats! post.http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 2&t=116534

Now I agree, that the revised Necron fluff does give them some much needed personality. Even GW realized they were two dimensional tin men. But to me they still lack a lot of personality and potential for interesting narrative games. Also, it had already been said in this thread that people wanted the OLD Necron fluff as well as style. So in that regard they are definitely bland-o-riffic.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:20 pm

Then I guess I'm dead serious about your assertion lacking imagination...?

Here, read this batrep and tell me there is no story potential.

Also, Squats are dumb. :P

Lionic
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Location: somewher over the prysmatic refection of visible light in dihydrogen monoxide percipitaition

Post by Lionic » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:35 pm

necrons have story potential, its just hard to get, especially with things like negotiation/ alliances.

i thinks squats just need a good writer. Obviously just putting dwarfs in space is a bit silly, but just look at eldar. They took some elf archetypes, but expanded it, and made something different.
The question is, do oil your war machines... or feed them

sonofkitrinos
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by sonofkitrinos » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:58 pm

The way I look at it is like this: when 'cribs first came out and were horror driven it was because they were...just waking up. Not much was known about them as a race. But as time wore on and more tomb worlds awoke, their culture began to retake and thus lead us to the point we are now. Think tau and their expansions.
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrHghowell?feature=mhee
Commissions : http://www.hghowel8.wix.com/amethysthobbies
Interested in commission work? Fire me a pm!

Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Signet-Powers » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:52 pm

I actually don't see the problem with new Necron fluff. The ground troops are still unstoppable mindless killers, it's just the leaders that have motivations and grudges now.

If Squats get the treatment that Orks get where they have interesting and deep concepts to them, fantastic. If they're just Tolkein Dwarves in space than I don't care.