Dark Eldar Beginner

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Cloudfin
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Dark Eldar Beginner

Post by Cloudfin » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:41 pm

Been reading up on Dark Eldar. Really liking what i'm seeing. From what I understand so far they are very much a glass cannon, and not one of the top tier armies currently. But imo this army has some fantastic looking models and some cool rules.

So I'm calling out to other DE players :D i'm looking to start off by building a 1000 point army. Where should I start? I've got the codex, i've got the Haemonculus Coven book on it's way also because some of the stuff in that book is awesome. I don't know if you can be a shooty army with DE or whether it's all about abusing upgrades & precise deep striking.

Any advice about how to play this army?

Xaz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Dark Eldar Beginner

Post by Xaz » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:20 pm

ive put together an army for my wife and she really loves the wych cults and the stuff out of the haemonoculus covens. So far she has really taken to using the venoms for the scalpel squadron and raiders full of wyches with Lelith or a succumbus. Granted, this isn't tournament winning sorts of lists but it's fluffy and surprisingly fun to play.
Orks 5680

Necrons 3170

Space Marines 2100

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:22 pm

Cloudfin, have you checked the DE guide Hedonismbot has published on this forum? It's very complete and very interesting. It nearly made me start my own DE lol.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Imperia

Post by Imperia » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:56 pm

As an EX DE player I may be able to give you some advice, but this was in 6e with the 5e book, but I can tell you that DE are full shooty unless you take wych units (Which Suck) or Haemonculus units (which I don't really know much about) Venoms are amazing, stick 2 SC's on it and load it with more Trueborn with more SC's and you can get up to 30 shots from a unit under 150 points I believe, so bye bye MC's as alllll those shots are 4+ poison. If you want to run a kabal army which is what I did, I took raiders and raiders and venoms and venoms, not a single unit should be without a transport, and take as many warriors and trueborn, then take some ravagers for AT, but do not rely soley on those ravagers, give some trueborn DL's and Blasters and you'll be good, considering that same squad can either send 4 shots to destroy a tank, or wipe out 3 terminators, incredibly handy weapons. Upgrades wise, there are some that people swear by, be it splinter racks or night shields, but you will find some to be pretty useless, like the shock ram thing, don't bother. DE vehicle upgrades have some of the best, as naked rhinos are often taken, but a raider should never be without some upgrades, as they maximize the damage, and survivabilty, both of which are your main concerns, as you need to do as much damage as possible, and hold out as long as you can because you WILL get blown away if you don't play it right, they have perhaps the smallest margin of error of any army, as every unit can be flicked away by one unit, but play everything right, and your opponents army will have nothing left turn 2.

Hedonismbot
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Hedonismbot » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:24 am

Unfortunately Imperia, a lot of that advice is out of date.

Treuborn with cannons like that doesn't work very now, as the weapons are salvo, and Dark lances and blasters...never did Imo. Who wants to force De units to be static, not me.

They can also do CC quite well without wyches, as there are still plenty of other units in that dex to do the job quite well. It just depends on preferences.

For the OP, it may be better to look in the Xenos section to ask questions or look up info.
Aug 31st 2010 10:48 am 5267 and counting.

Imperia

Post by Imperia » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:24 am

Welp :P I knew it would probably be all wrong, haven't even had the chance to look at 7e codex which kinda bums me, but anyways, sorry about the old info OP!