Legality of customizing your base that came with the models

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Locked
AdeptusLupos
Now we're getting somewhere...
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:48 pm

Legality of customizing your base that came with the models

Post by AdeptusLupos » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:06 pm

So I really enjoy not only building and painting the models, but to me customizing the bases really adds a lot to the models.

but what is legal.

so I bought these rough gems/minerals to add to my base to look like glacial rock formations for my space wolf army. but they obviously raise the height of the models a bit. is it legal, here are some examples

Image

Image

Image

so is this legal for play since I am using the base that came with the model still?

User avatar
sonofkitrinos
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:18 pm
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Location: Niagara Falls
Contact:

Re: Legality of customizing your base that came with the mod

Post by sonofkitrinos » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:08 pm

Yes. Makes them more prone to LoS but yes it is legal. If it were warmachine or horses the base size dictates the height of a model in the physical space of the game world and so the amount of rocks or what not doesn't come into play.
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrHghowell?feature=mhee
Commissions : http://www.hghowel8.wix.com/amethysthobbies
Interested in commission work? Fire me a pm!

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1701
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:07 am
Location: Near London, Ontario

Re: Legality of customizing your base that came with the mod

Post by Bojazz » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:17 pm

There was a thread about this exact thing a couple threads down.
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 2&t=116207


TL;DR - The rules are written with the assumption that players are using unmodified models (including bases). Simply using the original parts as a starting point doesn't make it legal. The example I used was adding a 2 inch barrel onto a vehicle's flamer. You're still using the standard flamer model, but the weapon would gain an additional 2" range.

Bases don't often cause problems with the rules, but on the rare occasions that a weird situation arises, be prepared to have a proxy model of the same size to use for line of sight/cover purposes if your opponent requests it. In casual play people are generally fine with it. In tournaments you may be asked to re-base them.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

AdeptusLupos
Now we're getting somewhere...
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Legality of customizing your base that came with the mod

Post by AdeptusLupos » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:39 pm

would a proxy have to be the exact model or could I use a basic version of things.

for example for Njal could I use a regular grey hunter for example or would I need another Njal?

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1701
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:07 am
Location: Near London, Ontario

Re: Legality of customizing your base that came with the mod

Post by Bojazz » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:40 pm

As long as it's the same size model and base, it should be fine. It's just a proxy, after all.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Lucio
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:03 am

Re: Legality of customizing your base that came with the mod

Post by Lucio » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:14 pm

In the entirety of 40K, there is not a single rule, how big or small a base of a specific model has to be. So 'legal' is everything. Obviously there are things that would you make look like a enormous Jerk, like a riptide on a 32mm-base or a Gretchin on a 90mmx52mm-base... just stay within reason...

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1701
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:07 am
Location: Near London, Ontario

Re: Legality of customizing your base that came with the mod

Post by Bojazz » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:06 pm

Lucio wrote:In the entirety of 40K, there is not a single rule, how big or small a base of a specific model has to be.
rulebook page 9 "models and base sizes"
"The rules in this book assume that models are mounted on the base they are supplied with."
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

User avatar
Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Posts: 5758
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:40 pm
Location: Québec

Re: Legality of customizing your base that came with the mod

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:29 pm

Well, honestly, your base is more likely to disadvantage you by making your guy bigger. It will be easier to draw a line of sight on your marine. Like Bojazz says, you can always swap another model of the same size in case it's needed, but I would say that it's very rare that people bother with it outside tournaments. I don't see how it could be interpreted as modeling for an advantage.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Lucio
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:03 am

Re: Legality of customizing your base that came with the mod

Post by Lucio » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:20 pm

Bojazz wrote:
Lucio wrote:In the entirety of 40K, there is not a single rule, how big or small a base of a specific model has to be.
rulebook page 9 "models and base sizes"
"The rules in this book assume that models are mounted on the base they are supplied with."
Yeah but that's not really a rule it's... well... an assumption. A rule would read something like: 'Every model has to use the base it's delivered with. If it wasn't delivered with a base, use this table to find out which base size is the right one...'

User avatar
sonofkitrinos
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:18 pm
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Location: Niagara Falls
Contact:

Re: Legality of customizing your base that came with the mod

Post by sonofkitrinos » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:34 pm

In warmachine it is a rule for models to be on the right bases due to the reasons stated above. In GW games it's always been "we supply you with these bases but you can choose whichever you want to use" the gentleman's code as I've known it has always been bigger is fine but not smaller than the supplied base.
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrHghowell?feature=mhee
Commissions : http://www.hghowel8.wix.com/amethysthobbies
Interested in commission work? Fire me a pm!

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1701
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:07 am
Location: Near London, Ontario

Re: Legality of customizing your base that came with the mod

Post by Bojazz » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:35 pm

Lucio wrote:
Bojazz wrote:
Lucio wrote:In the entirety of 40K, there is not a single rule, how big or small a base of a specific model has to be.
rulebook page 9 "models and base sizes"
"The rules in this book assume that models are mounted on the base they are supplied with."
Yeah but that's not really a rule it's... well... an assumption. A rule would read something like: 'Every model has to use the base it's delivered with. If it wasn't delivered with a base, use this table to find out which base size is the right one...'
The game (as with all games) has a permissive ruleset. There is no permission in the rulebook to modify models or their bases. You can't assume something is legal simply because there is not a rule saying you can't do it. By that logic, you would be able to do all sorts of crazy things like deploy vehicles on top of vehicles, model all your vehicles with 6" long weapons, and throw rocks at your opponent's models. There isn't anything in the rulebook saying you can't do any of that either.

The rules tell us that they are written assuming all models are on their supplied bases. If the models aren't on a standard base, then the rules in the rulebook are not intended for them, which means they have no place in the game unless both parties agree to use them. The same logic applies to any scratch-built models a player wants to use. You say "this is not a standard model, but i'd like it to count as X". If both players agree, then you can use it. As I said in the other thread, most players will be fine with models being a little taller since it doesn't have a very large impact on the game and they look cool. But tournaments will most likely ask you to use standard bases.

It is for this reason that many people magnetize their bases. The magnets not only act as a heavy base for the model's stability, but also allows them to swap out a decorative base for a standard one if they are required to. As an added bonus, the models become easier to transport.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests