Is ever army that incorporates Skulls actually Chaos?

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Donteatrawhagis
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: Is ever army that incorporates Skulls actually Chaos?

Post by Donteatrawhagis » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:58 pm

That is one cool space marine. Less xenophobic. Yeah true he's not gonna be chapter master. But at least he's not being killed by Ordos Xenos for being a half Xenos spacenarine.
Writer/Programmer

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:59 pm

Ronin wrote:I wouldn't say Eldar are less imperialistic, they just haven't found the resources and the means to really shift things in their favor. However, if they found a way to put themselves back on the top pedestal, you can bet your belongings they'll jump immediately at it if there isn't a catch.
Well, if they are stupid enough to rebuild their lost empire and restart their hedonistic and self-indulgent practices, they will go toward another catastrophic event like creating a new chaos god. But as a chaos guy, why not creating a new Slaanesh? ;)
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Mecha82
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mecha82 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:03 am

Skulls are what GW thinks to make something grimdark so they tend to add lot of them.
Warhammer 40k:
Blood Angels
Dark Angels

Somethings never change.

It was already broken when I got here.

Hedonismbot

Post by Hedonismbot » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:28 am

Kovlovsky wrote:I see Tau greater good concept as just a nice packaging for classical imperialism. It's just another iteration of the civilizing mission that the western world used for justifying colonialism and some of the worst episodes of pillaging in the history of humanity. The Tau can play the good guys as they want, but in the end, if you don't accept to be integrated in their empire, they annex you by force. They might be seen as more benevolent than the Imperium and less racist, but they still are looking down to other peoples. And the recent fluff on their relationship with the etheral caste hints that they use unknown mind control techniques to get other castes in line. Compared to others, they might seem a lot better, but they don't really have entirely good intentions despite their propaganda to the contrary.
Quite true. The case of farsight makes for a strong point. He already had issues with Tau high command after they kept pulling him off the front lines when fighting the orks and a victory for the Tau with him present ended up with them being over run by greenskins the moment he left. Once his ethereals mysteriously died, he stopped drinking the cool aid and was able to pursue the orks all the way to the area known as the farsight enclaves and hasn't looked back as knows what the "greater good" is all about.

For the mind control, I believe it's thought to be done with pheromones, though I don't remember if they say that in the book. Try and find the book xenology for more details.

I still think that the Eldars are the less antagonistic race of 40k. They just want to be left alone and they left other peoples alone if they aren't menacing them or something. That and their lack of real imperialist ambitions, make them the better guys of 40k (except maybe one craftworld which is known for his aggressivity. I think it's Biel-tan).
Nah, they're jerks. Though you'd be right that leaving them alone and not touching their stuff is the best course of action, they're as arrogant and self centered as every elf race I've known has been since the dawn of modern fantasy. Just because you don't see them on the battlefield a whole lot doesn't mean that they aren't doing something. They tend to manipulate other races into doing their fighting for them, such as Eldrad ensuring Ghazzie's rise to power amongst the orks and steering them towards armageddon.

Then there's those farseers seeing into the possible futures of events and determining that they need to attack you in order to prevent something bad from happening. The other guy's are minding their own business when the space elves suddenly pop up out of nowhere and attack them for seemingly no reason. Though if that happened to me I'd start seeking out more space elves and pulling the trigger as what else would you do if one got attacked for no apparent reason.

Kovlovsky wrote:
Ronin wrote:I wouldn't say Eldar are less imperialistic, they just haven't found the resources and the means to really shift things in their favor. However, if they found a way to put themselves back on the top pedestal, you can bet your belongings they'll jump immediately at it if there isn't a catch.
Well, if they are stupid enough to rebuild their lost empire and restart their hedonistic and self-indulgent practices, they will go toward another catastrophic event like creating a new chaos god. But as a chaos guy, why not creating a new Slaanesh? ;)
Most wouldn't go back to what led to the fall. Only humans would be that stupid.
Donteatrawhagis wrote:That is one cool space marine. Less xenophobic. Yeah true he's not gonna be chapter master. But at least he's not being killed by Ordos Xenos for being a half Xenos spacenarine.
Too bad that got retconned out over 20 years ago.
Aug 31st 2010 10:48 am 5267 and counting.

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:40 pm

Ronin wrote:I waant your skullllll... I need your skulllll!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLXEj4UowF8
YOU BEAT ME TO THIS SKULLDAMMIT
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

ArqArturo

Post by ArqArturo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:00 pm

Nadia wrote:
Spacefrisian wrote:Although they dont care if other races perrish, but than again, we dont care about the wellbeing of the chickens we eat right?. And even they have a skull lord (with a scythe)
Well, they are not too keen to help any cause (exept themselves), and they did used the Mon-keh as shield. On the other hand, Tau fight for the greater good, not only for their race.

As a bonus: a time where Ultras were low on choice
I like the idea of Half-Elf (Ok, ok, Half-Eldar) Space Marines, but then again the Ordo Xenos would be screaming 'Heresy! Heresy!", and that would be annoying.
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased...” Miyamoto Musashi

Donteatrawhagis

Post by Donteatrawhagis » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:36 am

Human: haha Elves, you look like girls.
Elf: humans must think every race looks like girls.
Human: What?
Elf: Half Elves, Half Orcs, Half Dwarves-
Human: Quit it!
Elf: Half Dragons, etc...
Human: I said shut up!
Writer/Programmer

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:39 am

Back in ye olde Rogue Trader days, Half-Eldar Marines were a thing.

Now, of course, they're just HERESY.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

IngenuityGap
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by IngenuityGap » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:51 am

7th Circle Chaos Daemons
Imperial Knights House Terryn
Adeptus Mechanicus - Skitarii, Cult Mechanicus, Imperial Knights
Tau

Nadia
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Nadia » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:28 pm

starting to be off topic, but I would love to see more of those old crappy illustration of marines.

Here are space marine arresting people. They started low

(they could be Adeptus Arbites in Mark VI Corvus Pattern Power Armour, but it would be as weird)
"Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it." -Alice in Wonderland

Hedonismbot

Post by Hedonismbot » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:15 am

Oh don't worry they aren't going to be gentle!
Aug 31st 2010 10:48 am 5267 and counting.

Donteatrawhagis

Post by Donteatrawhagis » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:06 pm

Deathwatch? Maybe he is a Xenos punk. :P
Writer/Programmer

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:40 am

Don't Harlequins have a fair amount of skull play? Death Jesters I mean. Space Clowns are the most benevolent. Their entire culture is based on theater, hiding or tricking slaanesh, and stopping people from reading really bad fan fictions.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

ignitionfactor8
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by ignitionfactor8 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:46 am

The inclusion of skull icons has been around long before the Imperium.

Military forces have always used the skull, both as ornamental (tattoos, graffiti, morale patches, etc.) and uniform items (snipers, sappers). From the Roman empire to the Wehrmacht officers of WWII, the skull is prevalent.

My unit patch from USAF-SF (no, not special forces, security forces) had a skull crossed with two M-4 rifles.

Its not always associated with "evil".