Army based on cost

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Lizardmandk
Now we're getting somewhere...

Army based on cost

Post by Lizardmandk » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:24 pm

So i saw this touched in another post but didn't get too much attention. Which army should a person that wants to take it slow manily due to funds play? i played orks back in the day but don't have anything left from that army. im open to really any army but im looking for help in finding that one that doesn't cost a ton to field a good army. i remember with orks it took alot of boyz on the table to get a good fighting chance. that in turn lead to alot of money spent on those boyz.

Anyone have any ideas? or thoughts?

Also i do know that this isn't a cheap hobby...but if there is a army that doesn't need a ton of mini's to field to play then i have aleast a start.

Thanks
~LizardmanDK~

phatonic
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Army based on cost

Post by phatonic » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:40 pm

Gray knights. /thread

Yeah not to sound like a prick but they can be the ones with the fewest model for point cost taken.. u can have like 15 against 100 on a 1k game.

What else mhm, space marines generally but depends what sort of army you want.
BE THERE KILLIN' BE THERE TEEF, BE THERE DAKKA BE THERE TEEF, BE THERE 'UMMIES? NO TEEF I TELL YEH! BAD FER BUISNEZH!

furrby
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: None, nobody likes me.

Post by furrby » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:18 pm

Still fielding 10 paladins draigo and stormraven will not make you win anything.

Cheapest army now in terms of Money/Power are necrons. Simply you never waste money buying anything aka big box, also you don't need to buy a lot of models.

GK are ok untill you will find yourself in a situationt hat you need autocannons for psybolt dreds, you need 3 x stormravens and you need custom models for henchman making good army more expensive then you thought at first.

Necrons are like this, you buy warriors, wraiths, night scythes, annihation barges maybe and 2-3 cryptecs with one overlord. To make really good army.

Also Space Wolves can be cheap because except long fangs whole Logan Wing army can be build from one BattleForce and One Terminator Box and few drop pod boxes and that is cheap only problem here are long fangs with ML's. But you can deal with it buying 2 x Devatator box and 2 sets of ML's from Forge World. This army can be fully beefed easy and fast for 1.5k and with Aegis it will not be bad, you will for sure win something.
Your hate makes me stronger.
Space Wolves tactica

kaot
Silver Vault Member

Post by kaot » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:39 pm

I agree on Necrons - 1 battleforce box + a nightscythe + commandBarge + 2 Crypteks comes to just over 150€(of course dependent on the prices where you live, but should be under 200$ easily) and gives you a good ~750 points army. I can't really say much about other armies, but of my three, the necrons definitely where the cheapest and the Tyranids the most expansive ones (esp. seeing that i could use more Tgants for the Nids for Mama Tervigon to spawn).
completly finished models:
Marines [--------------------|] 2168/2203
Tyranids[----------------|----] 2032/2582
Necrons [----------|----------]1260/2500

Lizardmandk
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Lizardmandk » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:44 pm

After looking at the armys on GW and then looking at necrons on Ebay =) it seems necrons are not that expenssive. Thanks for the input
~LizardmanDK~

furrby

Post by furrby » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:35 pm

Also Necrons wins.
Space Wolves tactica

MFletch

Post by MFletch » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:19 pm

Draigowing is fine. It will win battles. It'll sometimes be hard and sometimes require a lot of skill.
Draigo was the cheapest good army then it was orks which are dirt cheap. Spamming Ork boys does not really cut it and their koptas which were also available cheaply are not as good anymore.

fredbob524
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by fredbob524 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:01 am

MFletch wrote:Draigowing is fine. It will win battles. It'll sometimes be hard and sometimes require a lot of skill.
Draigo was the cheapest good army then it was orks which are dirt cheap. Spamming Ork boys does not really cut it and their koptas which were also available cheaply are not as good anymore.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA Dragiowing was never good against good players it was terrible
Est semper periculum proelium mortis
The is always danger of death in battle.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace prepare for war-Hammerofheemporer

WolfsSOL
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by WolfsSOL » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:14 am

I think I'll quote Dave on this one from one of his old ask the wargamer vids (can't remember which one): The cheapest is the one that you will enjoy playing the most because if you don't like playing the army you buy it is just a waste of money. That may not be verbatim but it was the basically of what he said and I agree with him.
"No sin goes unpunished, None escape the Emperor's retribution!"

Swords of Retribution (Dark Angels 6th) 6000pts all up
Tau 6th 1300pts
Blue Sky Clan (Dwarfs) 2500pts

furrby

Post by furrby » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:37 am

Dragiowing can work if you play 10k points battle and you have spare 1k points for a unit.

Let me break it down, WS5 T4 W2 , Ws is nice, Wounds are ok but T4 make it insta killed by anything str 8 so basically assault terminators worth 200 points will kill your 755 points worth unit. Srsly ?

Draigo solo is not super bad but... his sword is AP3 now and that makes him bad. The only thing really good about hims is Eternal warrior + Chapter Master d3 super bonus rolls and Ws 7 but this will cost you 100 points over regular Chapter Master... is it worth it ?

One and only one place where Draigo can shine is 500 pts battle, Dragio and 4 paladins get in as 5 units, draigo becomes scoring and you can wipe almost any enemy 500 pts army, except from broken one like Landraider and 2 sets of scouts etc :D Still its the only point value that will work and still this game for you will be heavly counting on good Holocaust rolls.
Space Wolves tactica

MFletch

Post by MFletch » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:45 pm

fredbob524 wrote:
MFletch wrote:Draigowing is fine. It will win battles. It'll sometimes be hard and sometimes require a lot of skill.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA Dragiowing was never good against good players it was terrible
It is mostly played by bad players and as such was terrible. It did get a bad reputation in tournaments as experienced players went for cheesier units, undoubtedly there are cheesier units.
Then there a few major tournaments where the missions suited draigowing very well, as Draigowing at least supplies really hard to kill scoring units.

fredbob524
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by fredbob524 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:11 pm

yea but with nothing else ist's not really a challenge to either beat em on scenariorio or kill em all
Est semper periculum proelium mortis
The is always danger of death in battle.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace prepare for war-Hammerofheemporer

Donteatrawhagis

Post by Donteatrawhagis » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:07 pm

Stay away from Imperial Guard and Orks. They will cost you a pretty penny. Unless you like making custom vehicles(specially battlewagons). Another ork player at my LGS uses parts from friends' old land raiders. Since everyone else is cool with it I just let him do it.
Writer/Programmer

Silentbob711

Post by Silentbob711 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:11 am

Grey knights and necrons are the best armies for less money. My 2k grey knights has 17 infantry models a mc and 3 tanks and does quite well. But its very risky playing like that and you really have to know what youre doing to use a list like that effectively. Necrons are probably the better option to start with overall. Both of the battle forces are good buys in my eyes that would only need another supplement or two to complete them depending on the points level your playing at.
Ultramarines 9260 Dark Eldar 1000
Blood Angels 2000 Csm 950
Grey Knights 2000 Tyranids 900
Necrons 1850 Tau 900
Dark Angels 1100 Guard 505

furrby

Post by furrby » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:10 pm

Silentbob711 wrote:Grey knights and necrons are the best armies for less money. My 2k grey knights has 17 infantry models a mc and 3 tanks and does quite well. But its very risky playing like that and you really have to know what youre doing to use a list like that effectively. Necrons are probably the better option to start with overall. Both of the battle forces are good buys in my eyes that would only need another supplement or two to complete them depending on the points level your playing at.
No ? Full on Paladins setup don't work well, it happens that your opponents are bad :D
Space Wolves tactica