Official announcement: New 40k is coming.

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Official announcement: New 40k is coming.

Post by Koonitz » Fri May 19, 2017 12:02 pm

Pyropower wrote:Obvious stuff like the power fist being pretty good at bludgeoning
It's also worth noting that a power fist charging a tank is no longer a 'guaranteed' kill, like it pretty much always was before. S8, hitting on 3+, rear AV 10-11, usually meant a single sergeant with a power fist will tear most vehicles down. Now even 3 attacks, with a -1 to hit and only d3 damage a hit, and most tanks stand a good chance of surviving that sergeant. Though follow up attacks are likely still going to be able to finish it off.

It's a nice feeling that the squad power fist isn't quite as valuable any more. Still useful, don't get me wrong, just... Tanks are more survivable. Bonus.

Pyropower
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Pyropower » Fri May 19, 2017 12:06 pm

The imperial knights rules are...strong to say the least, not sure how I feel about it. Especially his ability to remove a flat 6 wounds per attack.
I get what you mean about the Ion shield, I enjoyed trying to flank around my enemies shield to bring more fire on him.
But little hint at the Trygon being able to put out a lot of damage which is nice to know.

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Fri May 19, 2017 12:19 pm

Pyropower wrote:The imperial knights rules are...strong to say the least, not sure how I feel about it. Especially his ability to remove a flat 6 wounds per attack.
I get what you mean about the Ion shield, I enjoyed trying to flank around my enemies shield to bring more fire on him.
But little hint at the Trygon being able to put out a lot of damage which is nice to know.
Strong? They're appropriate for the monster, as far as I can see. A couple lucky lascannon shots (wounding on 3's instead of glancing on 4's, with a 5+ shield instead of 4+), and you could potentially reduce its wounds by half. A pack of 4 Lascannons (such as on the new Predator, or a devastator squad), and you're reasonably doing a healthy chunk of damage to it.

Pyropower
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Pyropower » Fri May 19, 2017 12:22 pm

I suppose so, I think I am just getting used to the new stat profiles and the large amounts of damage being dished out by so many weapons. More so I haven't seen enough stats for my army to know what can combat such strength. But if the Trygon can do good damage I have high hopes for the rest.

Pyropower
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Pyropower » Fri May 19, 2017 1:38 pm

The change to stop rules? Yeah haven't seen that until this article

Whitewing
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Whitewing » Fri May 19, 2017 1:44 pm

4burner wrote:Not sure if had been mentioned earlier, but that faction focus slipped in a mention of "Mortal Wounds" with regards to the Knight chucking stuff about the battlefield. Unless I missed it in an earlier piece, that's the first time that concept has been mentioned as hard fact, no?
Mortal Wounds were described in the Psychic Phase reveal, because Smite deals Mortal Wounds. They ignore armour and invulnerable saves, that is all.
Check out my Chaos Daemons Tactica! I'm super proud of it :D

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Fri May 19, 2017 4:13 pm

The imperial knight rules seem fine to me, especially considering most armies will have some of their own huge Dudes to compete with it. I especially like how it is simultaneously very scary, yet also easier to kill in close combat. Gotta risk it for the biscuit!

The super-heavy detachment is of interest to me. Not only does this allow the imperial Knights to field heir traditional "3 Knights" list, but it also means you can see things like 3 LoW super-heavy tanks/gargantuan creatures tacked onto a list.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri May 19, 2017 5:07 pm

huh

not sure how I feel about the Knight changes - seems to make them really uber. Although tbh I kinda feel like they should be in that they're huge units, meant to turn the tide of battle. Of course I've not seen them in play (except bat reps) so not really sure.

Surely this also means good things tho for xenos units simliar to Knights? like the ork stompa and wraithknight etc?
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

skipgiblets
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by skipgiblets » Fri May 19, 2017 5:28 pm

I like the changes to the weapons, especially the chainsword. Without knowing everything else, seems like my go to over the bolt pistol for equipping units. I did some math-hammering, and I like the power axe too.

I agree with the faction article on Imperial Knights too. From what I've seen and played against, they are either on point and powerful, or a giant waste of points. Seems like they will be a lot more consistent now.
I don't like quotations, tell me what you know. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Fri May 19, 2017 5:49 pm

The other interesting fact on the Thunderstrike Gauntlet for the Knights is that they don't mention that it is unwieldy. So it may be identical to the Reaper but also can throw stuff (with, one can assume, an appropriate points increase). Finally, might actually see people use it. Currently it's more a liability to the Knight in most situations.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sat May 20, 2017 2:19 am

Thunderstrike gauntlet might have the same thing that the power fist has with -1 to hit instead of unwieldy.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Sat May 20, 2017 10:21 am

Nothing too crazy today, just stronghold assault rules.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-4/

2 additional stronghold assault-only stratagems. T10 buildings. Basically just one of the neat gamemodes for narrative or casual play.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Return to “Warhammer 40K”