Marit Lage's #weeklypaint 2018: Motivation Edition

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Marit Lage's #weeklypaint 2018: Motivation Edition

Post by Marit Lage » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Man, I've been lazy about getting this thread started up. Not for lack of painting this time, though. I've been using the Retributor Gold instead of Ghenna's Gold and man, does it make a difference. I've been painting a whole lot of power armor this year. I've been going for a different look this time around, with a nice clean look to the army.

Sorry if the quality of the pictures is low, and the slight shininess to the models, I'm using the new GW varnish, and it gives a slight satin look to them, although the quality of the varnish itself is quite nice, and can be used in all weather conditions.

After seeing how good the gold looked, I couldn't resist, and redid all of his trim, and cleaned up his trophy rack, weapons, and hair.
[+] Expand
While I love the Chosen models from Dark Vengeance, they don't look like anything other than HQs, so I've painted them up as Exalted Champions and a Dark Apostle.
[+] Expand
For the same reasons as Abbaddon, I've repainted my Terminator's trophy racks, weapons, and gold trim.
[+] Expand
Finally got around to finishing the unit, along with the new gold trim, and sector bases.
[+] Expand
I'm still not finished with these guys, but a friend of mine is letting me use a plastic tool this weekend for the texture paint to clean up the paint.
[+] Expand
Here's the first generic power armor model the new gold, and I'm pretty happy with him.
[+] Expand
I'm trying out edge highlights on this Rhino, but I'd like some feedback before continuing.
[+] Expand
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Marit Lage's #weeklypaint 2018: Motivation Edition

Post by General-Kroll » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:49 am

The Rhino highlights look good, but I think it could do with a little gold trim somewhere to match the dudes.

Marit Lage
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:19 am

General-Kroll wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:49 am
The Rhino highlights look good, but I think it could do with a little gold trim somewhere to match the dudes.
Maybe gold in the recesses of the front and the back on the sides of the Rhino?
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:20 am

That may be a little overwhelming, I’d pick out raised metalwork, like the 8 pointed star on the front, handles, exhausts etc.

Marit Lage

Post by Marit Lage » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:47 pm

So I might have started a new army with part of my Federal tax return....
[+] Expand
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:56 am

Heh. Impulse buys are the best.

Marit Lage

Post by Marit Lage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:31 am

Munin wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:56 am
Heh. Impulse buys are the best.
I've been wanting to play this as an army since the Forge World stuff started getting released, but GW had great timing for me. Heh.

I'm going to be playing them this weekend against 1,000 points of Death Guard.
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Marit Lage

Post by Marit Lage » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:19 pm

Got more work done ok these guys, and man are they a blast to paint. I'm trying a simple power weapon effect, and hopefully it looks good enough to apply to the rest of my army.
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians