Munin's Weekly Paint 2018

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Re: Munin's Weekly Paint 2018

Post by Munin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:09 pm

More Brits!
Because these guys have uniform...uniforms, I'm going to base-coat the whole lot with an airbrush. That should save a lot of time.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:41 pm

The above minis, now complete! Have some Desert Rats!
This is the first time I've used the GreenStuffWorld grass tufts, and they're really nice!

I was proud of this conversion, subtle though it is. The foregrip on his Thompson is sculpted from a bit of sprue.

For the Boys AT Rifle team, I did the magnet thing again. Before:

After:

Just one more section to go and the platoon is complete. And when I got home this evening, a bag had arrived from the WarStore: two British 2-lb Anti-Tank guns!

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed May 02, 2018 1:58 am

These are looking really fine and the basing is very nice! How many finished soldiers do you have now? How many more are to come?
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Rouven » Wed May 02, 2018 6:30 am

Magnetizing your soldiers is a really good idea. I think it really helps to represent the actual state of the respective unit. Btw how cool would it be, if someone sculpted damaged or ripped off limbs that you could magnetize to represent an injured monstrous creature.
Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator
Dark Angels: Cypher
Shadespire: Spiteclaw's Swarm (5)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed May 02, 2018 11:18 am

LordMcAllister wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:58 am
These are looking really fine and the basing is very nice! How many finished soldiers do you have now? How many more are to come?
Thanks, I was really happy with the way the bases turned out. Of course now I have to go back and re-do the bases on the previous squad, but whatever. It's a small price to pay.

In terms of finished troops, I have:
* US: a complete Infantry Platoon (3 squads of 12, a 2-man bazooka team, a Lieutenant and a Platoon Sergeant), and an additional 2-man bazooka team, for a total of 42 dudes painted. I also have 2 completed Sherman tanks for them.
* German Afrika Korps: a complete Schützen platoon (3 quads of 12 and a Lieutenant), with an additional Platoon Sergeant, 3-man 50mm mortar team, a 2-man PzB38/39 AT Rifle team, and a Forward Observer, for a total of 44 men painted. I also have a completed Panzer II C and an SdKfz 222 Armored Car finished. I've got a base-coated Panzer III sitting on my painting table right now. I also have a 6-man Pak-38 Anti-Tank gun team that's primed and in the early stages of base-coating.
* British: The latest squad pictured above puts me at 2 of 3 sections complete for an Infantry Platoon (so 2 sections of 10, a 2-man 2" mortar team, and a 2-man Boys AT Rifle team), for a total of 24 men painted. The final section (as well as another 2" mortar team, a Lieutenant, a Platoon Sergeant, and a forward observer) are in the early stages of assembly right now. Once that batch is done, it'll finish off the platoon and a couple of important supports. I have a Crusader Mk II tank and an AEC Armored Car, but they're still in the box. And as mentioned, I just received two 2-pound Anti-Tank gun teams, so that's ultimately going to be another 12 guys.

My next platoon will be Italian Infantry, which at a base of 41 men before supports is a pretty big unit. I've also got at least one AT gun and MMG team in there as well (I recently bought a bunch of unpainted Italians off a guy I know from another forum). With that force done, I'll be able to game actions throughout pretty much all of North Africa, Sicily, and Italy. Down the road I wouldn't mind putting together some German Fallschirmjägers, which would be useful in Crete, Sicily, and Italy as well as being an entry into the Western Front (anywhere from the Netherlands in 1940 to Normandy in 1944). And because the infantry platoon organization for the US Army changed very little over the course of the war, my US platoon is all set should I want to do any D-Day stuff.

This past weekend also marked a fun milestone for me: it was the first time I'd hosted a game of Chain of Command where a) all of the figures were mine, and b) all of the figures were painted. That was really cool.
Rouven wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:30 am
Btw how cool would it be, if someone sculpted damaged or ripped off limbs that you could magnetize to represent an injured monstrous creature.
Ooooh, that's a really good idea, actually. I can just imagine mangled claws or damaged weapons being really useful for indicating degraded vehicles and MCs. They'd also look really sweet on the table!

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Tue May 08, 2018 11:18 pm

More some tank love!

Late-production (50mm) Panzer III G:

And speaking of magnets, I magnetized this one such that it's convertible! Here it is as a short-barreled 75mm Panzer III N, complete with both hull and turret Schürzen:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed May 16, 2018 4:15 pm

Very nice weathering on the tank!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed May 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Thanks! I found the tank commander (painted up months ago) in my stuff in storage and finally stuck him in. I should take new pictures.