Munin's Weekly Paint 2018

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Munin's Weekly Paint 2018

Post by Munin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:55 pm

Time to get stuck in again. No pics today, but I'm still chugging along on some WW2 minis. Things have been a little disrupted by the move, and my hobby space in the temporary digs is not as optimal as my previous set-up. Still, I'm managing to make incremental progress, which is good.

Unfortunately, when the weather turned nice this weekend (it was sunny and got up to almost 50 F here) I used the time to ride bikes and scooters with my kids outdoors rather than do hobby stuff. But now it's cold and snowing again, and I fear I may have let an ideal outdoor spray-priming window pass by unused. :(

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Munin's Weekly Paint 2018

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:27 am

That's a nice way to spend the good weather, too! ;)
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Rouven » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:22 am

This is a relatively international forum. Just ship your minis + a can of primer to one of the users who live in warmer places. :wink:
Last edited by Rouven on Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator
Dark Angels: Cypher
Shadespire: Spiteclaw's Swarm (5)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:29 am

Hahaha, I could ship them to Guildenstern down in Georgia, but they've had nearly as hard a winter as we have. ;)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:20 am

Someone on one of the boards I follow (forget which one, probably the TFL forums) had a great idea for keeping yourself motivated for making progress, and that's to make a graphical representation of your force and color code it based on what's finished. As I sit at my computer getting high from primer fumes from the stuff I'm currently doing, I decided to do just that for the WW2 stuff I'm steadily painting up for Chain of Command - only I went into a little more detail, breaking the stages down into planned/purchased/primed/painted. Here are the results:
[+] Expand

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:14 am

Munin wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:29 am
Hahaha, I could ship them to Guildenstern down in Georgia, but they've had nearly as hard a winter as we have. ;)
Yeah it's either freezing or it's a balmy 23o C lol

Love that diagram, I like that better than most of the lists tbh
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:29 am

That's a nice way to motivate yourself! And one can clearly see, that you have to PURCHASE MORE MODELS! Too many faint grey lines! :D
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:55 am

Indeed! :D

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:48 pm

I just finished up another squad of Afrika Korps dudes (and a 50mm mortar team). After looking at some more period photos, I changed the helmet color to a much lighter sand color, and I think I like it much better. The problem, of course, is that this means I need to go back and repaint the helmets in the first squad to match. I'll post pictures once I can figure out how to get my phone connected to the wifi here.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:08 pm

A ha, it appears that my wife changed the password. But I'm back in business.

My next complete squad:

My lighting situation in the new place is, as I believe our British friends say, "utter pants." With flash:

And here's a comparison of the two helmet colors:

The lighter color looks more like some of the period photos I've seen, and it definitely shows the chipping/weathering better. But like I said, it means going back and re-doing the first squad.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:13 am

So I've spent most of this week assembling, basing, and priming minis. On another forum I frequent, one of the users is setting a stopwatch every time he sits down to paint, both to see how much painting he's getting done on a regular basis as well as to see how long it takes him to paint any given thing. I decided to do the same for this most recent DAK squad on which I'm working.

These particular miniatures are multi-part plastics; the legs, torso, and head are one piece, while the head covering (cap or helmet), and backpack (bread-bag, canteen, bayonet, gas-mask canister, and entrenching tool) are separate. The arms and weapons are either one or two pieces depending on the pose. For some of the minis there are extra pouches (SMG magazines for the NCOs, pistol holsters and parts-kit pouches for the LMG gunners, etc). So typically, we're talking 3-6 pieces per mini, some of which are very small and fiddly. Oh, and did I mention that my tweezers got packed up somewhere in the last move? Argh.

And of course, I'm super-anal about trimming mold lines. Even on spots of the mini that are probably going to end up invisible, I just can't help myself.

Also, unlike most Citadel minis - which are assumed to be going onto a 25mm/32mm/40mm plastic base, these minis have a small plastic base molded on. That's fine, because it gives a nice surface for gluing them onto steel fender washers (7/8" diameter for regular dudes, 1" diameter for NCOs and officers, which makes them easily recognizable on the table), but it means if you then try to apply basing material like sand or flock, you end up with a "double lip," which I think looks terrible.

The solution to this is to use something the build up the base such that it blends that second edge away. Somewhere along the line of working on minis, I discovered Liquitex Acrylic Texture Paste, which I get at the local craft store. This stuff is pretty cool, because it's like a very fine-grit spackle or filler - it doesn't shrink or crack, dries really hard, and can be sanded nice and smooth. You can also mix any regular acrylic paint with it to give it its own color. I don't bother, because I'm just going to cover it with sand anyway, but it's an option. Neat stuff. Once I've built up the base and sanded it flat, I use the standard PVA-glue-and-sand treatment to get me "rocky desert" texture.

But between all of the cutting, mold-line trimming, basing, and gluing, it looks like it takes me 24:30 per mini to go through all of my prep from sprue to primer. And as it turns out, trimming mold lines is where the bulk of my prep-time goes (almost 18 of the 24+ minutes). (o_o) <-- This is my shocked face. But in a way this is a little crazy, because these particular minis have very minor mold lines right out of the box. But I just can't help myself.

For those of you that also trim mold lies from your minis - do you have a sense for how much time you spend doing it? I'd be interested to hear what other peoples' experiences are.

And finally, making progress let me update my nifty progress tracker:

As you can see, once this batch is done I'll have a complete platoon, as well as quite a few of my Support options filled out. Having one complete Axis and one complete Allied platoon will be nice, because of the curse of historical miniatures games - unless you live in an area with an active gaming club, if you want someone to play with you it typically involves providing miniatures for both forces. But either way, I'm pretty stoked to be closing in on that goal.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:15 am

Slow but steady progress on my Afrika Korps. I just finished the oil wash. Next comes the black and gunmetal, which are pretty much the last steps. It's going to be a busy weekend, though, so not sure when I'm going to get a chance to finish them.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:22 pm

OK, decision time: Which basing scheme is better? Or perhaps, which basing scheme says "Libyan desert" more clearly? Also, FWIW, it's really tough to get a picture that shows the color variation well on the yellowish one.

I'll eventually add camel brush/tufts of dead grass to it, but for now I'm looking at just the color palette. Thoughts?

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:58 pm

OK, I finally finished up my last Afrika Korps squad (and sundry extras like a Forward Observer and a spare Senior Leader). Inspired by a user on a different forum's challenge to himself of tracking how much time he was spending on painting, I decided to track my work on these dudes, all the way from sprue to completion. When all was said and done, cleaning and assembly took 24.5 minutes per model, painting took 48.25 minutes per model (with 2 minutes each being spent on eyes), and basing took 5.25 minutes per model (although I do still need to affix a couple of random bushes and grass tufts). Thus, all told it was 78 minutes per model. This group takes a little bit longer than some of the other armies because I chose to do them in the rag-tag, mismatched uniforms common to Afrika Korps units, especially as the North African Campaign dragged on and resupply became an issue. I'll bet the Brits will go much faster. Still, a little over an hour per mini isn't terrible, especially considering how long it takes me to do Infinity minis.

I'll try to get pics tomorrow - our new digs do not offer me great lighting. Man, I can't wait until the new house is done. :cry:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:54 pm

Photos, as promised!

I still need to put some tufts of dead grass and little camel bushes here and there on their bases, but it feels good to have another entirely painted force for Chain of Command.