Koonitz's weekly paint 2018

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Koonitz's weekly paint 2018

Post by Koonitz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:47 am

Forgot to post this over the weekend. I managed to get the other 3 Tzaangor Skyfires painted, so have a poor quality picture of them! A bit of quick lore I wrote up for them is that they are the Cult of the Reborn, their organic bodies taking on the hue of the legendary phoenixes. Believing that, in service to Tzeentch, they will find eternal life through being reborn after death, if they are worthy. They believe this rebirth happens so long as their spirit is able to be channeled out of their old, dead bodies, through their horns. In this particular group, their former Aviarch was shamed through some past misdeed, his punishment being to have his horns capped, thus preventing his spirit from being able to escape to be reborn (see the model to the rear left, where 4 of his 6 horns are capped).
[+] Expand
I've been working on a second unit of Pink Horrors, but my desire to continue painting my AoS models petered out a bit. I just picked up my first airbrush, so I've been keen to work some more on my Heresy Thousand Sons. I've been dawdling on gap filling and posing these two models, and my second Sicaran Venator (not pictured). I've believed I've shown both of these, before, but what the hey.
[+] Expand
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:33 pm

Very Cool! I do love machines =D
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:29 am

Not much more to speak of. Dawdling still on painting anything because I don't have everything I need for my airbrush, yet. Got the sponsons assembled and affixed on the Land Raider Proteus. This thing has a notorious reputation for having ill-fitting tracks, so I did a test fit of the tracks. The problem reported is that the actual track assembly has shrunk compared to the original sculpt (people say it's because the masters were lost/damaged, so they had to remake using a cast of an original part, which caused some shrinkage).

There is a small problem with fitting, yes, which can be pushed to the back of the tracks so it has minimal effect (the tracks, being larger, cause some push back along the back, forcing the tracks away from the assembly a small amount). However, this test fit used blue-tac, which may negatively affect the fitting. I suspect the final fit will have a worse problem unless I permanently stuff some blue-tac under the tracks when I glue them in place. We will see when I finally paint this beauty.

Honestly, I'm more frustrated in how much green stuff I need to gap fill, over any track problems.
[+] Expand
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:24 am

I really like how this Forgeworld Mech appears to push itself past the pillar.. or perhaps shove it out of the way. One way or another, it does look very dynamic and makes it very interesting to look at!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:50 am

Judging from my last post, it feels like forever since I last posted. I cleaned up and assembled my other Castellax-achea and put some colour to the bases. I'm pretty much stalled on these, waiting for some paint for my airbrush. I have some Tamiya clear red coming in the mail, but I'm not sure how different it'll be compared to the Forge World stuff. My left over FW clear red is with a friend, and I'm not likely to get it for a week or two. Got a model primed and ready for testing when I get the paint (in the back. on the painting handle).

I've been humming and hawing on what to do with the Exalted Sorcerer kit I purchased. For 40k, it's easy. Build as is, and call it a day. But for 30k, there are so many consuls I could make with it, though almost all of them will require some sort of work. I'm thinking of a Praevian or a Forge Lord. The apothecary has just become a Primus Medicae (hence the power khopesh).

The sorcerer I built there is likely going to be a standard librarian, or a Delegatus. No major conversion, but I put a basic Mk IV backpack on him and will likely tip the staff with the axe head you see at the bottom of the picture. His pose is based off of this picture. Trying to go with more of a "looking at his hand" pose.
[+] Expand
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:27 pm

Can't help myself. Had a splitting headache all day and distracted myself with some work at home, instead of work at work.

Made myself a Forge Lord and finalized the Delegatus. As much as I wanted to use the axe, I just didn't see it as working right with how thin the haft of the stave is, so I decided to make it a symbol of his authority and used my favourite staff head from the Exalted Sorcerer kit. Went with a 30k Thousand Sons helm, which I feel just distinguishes the model so much more than the stylized beaky head I used before.

The pose of him looking just above his hand has a purpose, based on the image I shared in the last post. I'm going to get a 6mm scale infantry model (most likely a human, as I can't seem to find an epic scale space marine to use).
[+] Expand
Armies:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:26 am

The sorcerers pose looks really cool and I personally think the 30k helmet gives the mini a soooo much more feel of authority and power to it, than the beaky helmet could. At least that's the personal feeling I get from looking at the miniature.
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:53 pm

Finished up the first two airbrushing victims. I feel like I put the red on a little too thick (I got impatient when I was airbrushing them), but I can't really complain about the results.

Edit: To add, when I first painted the first one of these, I said I wanted 10 of them. Now that I've painted two more, that desire has not diminished. I definitely want more of these. I may buy some of the standard Castellax or even some Vorax, as you can bring an HQ called a Praevian that can add a unit of AdMech Castellax/Vorax into your army. Super tempting.
[+] Expand
As for the Delegatus, I found the right bit! A battletech infantry model looking through some binoculars and pointing.

"Tell me, Commander, what part of your petty squabbles should pull me and my men from our Primarch appointed expedition?"
[+] Expand
Armies:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:28 am

Heh, that'll look really neat when it's finished!

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:50 am

Angered at the interruption, the Thousand Sons warrior took a commanding stance as he glared angrily at the psychic image glowing above his hand. He reached out, words telepathically projected to the mind of the human officer in the image, even as he spoke the words in front of his expedition. "Tell me, human, what part of your petty squabbles should pull me and my men from our Primarch appointed task?"

Undeterred by the angry Astartes commander, the human soldier pointed directly at his glowing, green eyes, his words projecting from the illusory image, "Because you and I both know it will reduce the risk of untimely interruptions," he emphasised the following word to ensure he had the Astartes' attention, "AND will free up valuable resources in your search, including one COLONEL who knows of the whereabouts of the tomb of Así Será, where the scrolls of prophecy you seek lie."

The Thousand Sons's green glare flared briefly, his fist clenching tightly, obliterating the image of the human officer, before calming himself. His staff thumped down onto the stone of the ancient ruins he stood upon, his gaze turning towards where his Astartes brothers moved through the ruins in the heat of the planet's sun, flanked by several human workers. Waiting for but a moment so that they would believe his discussion over, he reached out with his mind once again, seething words projecting silently across the planet.

"Speak quickly, Colonel."
[+] Expand
Armies:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:52 pm

Nice!

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Praeterita Lacrimis had served within the ranks of the Thousand Sons since the beginning of the Great Crusade, long before the legion was reunited with their Primarch.

Unlike many other Land Raiders of its kind, Praeterita Lacrimis' Augur Array was specifically fitted for exploration, rather than communication or battlefield support. While still perfectly capable of performing these functions, the array proved significantly more useful in a logistical support and non-battlefield, exploratory role.

To this end, the machine spirit within its hull proved similarly tempered. More curious than belicose, the Land Raider, itself, seemed as inclined to explore uncharted planets, as it was to wage war. Though, like its crew, the tank was as capable in that regard as any other. While most Legions would have likely retired the machine, or sent it back to the Mechanicum forge that spawned it, Praeterita Lacrimis found a home in the Thousand Sons, both Legion and machine as prone to scholarly pursuits as warfare.

Over time, the Land Raider was assigned to various expeditionary and exploratory missions. During the later days of the Great Crusade, it found itself assigned to the VIth Archaeological Expeditionary Fleet, lead by Praetor Herihor. This was not unusual, as most of these expeditionary task forces had Proteus pattern Land Raiders equipped with explorator augur arrays assigned to them. In this case, Herihor and Praeterita Lacrimis bonded nearly instantly, the tank being adopted as Herihor's personal transport. Herihor worked closely with the tank in his many archaeological expeditions, often times piloting it himself, using it to traverse the often rough and uncharted terrain, its specially designed augur array proving invaluable in locating the ancient ruins he sought out.
[+] Expand
Armies:

Mars-Crusader
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mars-Crusader » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:14 am

That red looks really good. I've always had a soft spot for the 15th Legion.

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:49 am

Mars-Crusader wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:14 am
That red looks really good. I've always had a soft spot for the 15th Legion.
I admit to being a little concerned about the red. It's, like, my third model I did the airbrushing on, myself, AND I was using a 'new' paint. All my previous stuff was air-brushed by a friend, using Forge World's clear Angron red. But this was done using Tamiya's clear red gloss acrylic paint. It's a little glossier than I was expecting in the pictures (due to the flash), but I'm happy it's still good enough. I'm really pleased with how the white and black came out, contrasting and breaking up the red so it looks more like a Thousand Sons vehicle, instead of a glorified Blood Angels vehicle.

I did some work this week. Doesn't feel quite as accomplished as "an entire Forge World tank", but I'm pleased all the same.

Got 5 Tactical support squad plasma gunners complete, and bought the box of Mk IV to complete the other 5 for them and my rotor cannon squad.
[+] Expand
When you don't have enough plasma OR dakka.
[+] Expand
I've also been working off-and-on on this model since the announcement of the Imperial Knight codex and the new Knight kit. I'll likely break from my Thousand Sons and spend WAY too much money on Knights when they come out with the new kit and (hopefully) a separately boxed Armiger kit with additional weapons. It's fully magnetized, with the battle cannon able to swap with the thermal cannon, gatling cannon able to swap for the chain sword, torso stubber/melta, and carapace weapons.

To give an idea on how long this model has been waiting to be built, I bought it when the Warden/Crusader kit was released. And yes, that is the Forge World House Terryn upgrade kit with it (which is, surprisingly, still available!).
[+] Expand
After building three Forge World Cerastus Knights, I'm still SUPER disappointed in the legs on the regular Knight kit, and I really hope (but doubt) GW did better with the new kit.

I also like how in almost every single one of my pictures, that poor Calth contemptor dreadnought, magnetized and ready to go, is a constant, in the background, just crying out to me, "Please paint me... One day... Please?" ... "Maybe me, next...."
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:45 pm

Knight Ragini Terryn, sworn protector of Baron Kage Terryn has been largely completed.

The only things remaining are the weapon swaps and a tuft of cotton 'smoke' coming out of the battle cannon and thermal cannon barrels.
[+] Expand
Armies: