Koonitz's weekly paint 2018

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Koonitz's weekly paint 2018

Post by Koonitz » Mon May 21, 2018 4:19 pm

So the month of the dreadnought didn't go entirely as planned (dallying a bit on the Leviathan 'cause I felt like getting my second Sicaran Venator done). I opted to take a day of vacation and have a 4 day weekend (not sure about other countries, but here in Canada, the 3rd weekend in May is a long weekend, with Monday being a holiday. It's a super-popular camping weekend.).

My plans were to try to get as much done on both my Sicaran Venator and my Land Raider. That didn't pan out, however I did manage to get the Sicaran Venator completed. The Land Raider is, at least, primed red, so it's just a matter of getting to work on the rest of the details.

Stygian was the second of nine Sicaran Venator hulls assigned to the Daybreaker project. Like its companion tank, Tantabus, Stygian has magnetized sponsons. However, as Stygian was designated the communications tank in the squadron, it has also been magnetized to allow the complete removal of the sponsons if desired, replacing the right-hand one with an advanced comms array.

If anyone remembers 7th Edition and how Ordnance weapons work, it's a real big waste of points putting sponsons on a vehicle with an Ordnance weapon, hence the degree of magnetizing.
[+] Expand
Hands down, my favourite of the Sicaran hull tanks.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Tue May 22, 2018 10:34 am

Very nice!

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed May 23, 2018 4:17 pm

Very cool tanks!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sun May 27, 2018 6:04 pm

In conjunction with the Sicaran tanks, I now have a Forge Lord. No name for this one, just a random techmarine assigned to the Daybreaker project (hence the venator schematic sheet on his belt). I'm probably going to try to curb my naming of most of my characters. Makes it easier to let them die in a game if they're just random souls.

I also finished 2 more of my plasma tactical support squad (edit: Whoops, haven't dusted their legs yet). The last 3 are primed red and ready to be finished, likely this week.
[+] Expand
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:50 pm

So, yep. Got those plasma gunners done. Full 10-man squad finished.
[+] Expand
I also had a productive week of finishing up some daemons. 4 Pink Horrors to finish my second squad of 10, and 3 Screamers to bring me up to 9. Touching up on a few things to prep for Age of Sigmar 2.0.
[+] Expand
I feel accomplished.

I also feel broke, 'cause I dropped $1,000 CDN on new Knights, including one too many boxes of Armiger Helverins by mistake. Guess I'll have 6 of 'em, now.
Armies:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:00 am

Ooooh, the pink on those horrors is delicious!

And Ouch on the knights. :cry:

Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Rouven » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:41 am

Koonitz wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:50 pm
I also feel broke, 'cause I dropped $1,000 CDN on new Knights, including one too many boxes of Armiger Helverins by mistake. Guess I'll have 6 of 'em, now.
When I read your statement the first time, I did not fully pay attention to what I was reading and just noticed the words "broke", "dropped", "$1000 CDN" and "knights" :shock: - it took me a while to understand what you had actually written.
Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator
Dark Angels: Cypher
Shadespire: Spiteclaw's Swarm (5)

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:23 pm

Munin wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:00 am
Ooooh, the pink on those horrors is delicious!

And Ouch on the knights. :cry:
Thanks for the compliment. Super-easy pink, too. Emperor's Children, Carrambourg Crimson wash, drybrush Emperor's Children back on to brighten up.

As for the Knights, don't worry, I budgeted that much for the order, anyway, as I've been waiting for this for a while. I actually planned to buy 8 Armigers, all said, as I was expecting both the Helverin and Warglaive to be released together.
Rouven wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:41 am
When I read your statement the first time, I did not fully pay attention to what I was reading and just noticed the words "broke", "dropped", "$1000 CDN" and "knights" :shock: - it took me a while to understand what you had actually written.
Oh, I get it. YOu thought I might have dropped and broke a $1,000 Knight. Well, I have 3 Cerastus Knights that cost me $1,000. I'd probably be in tears if I did....
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:41 am

Couldn't help it, wanted to share this model I just finished (except for a few gems that I don't have the soulstone technical paints to do just yet).

Who's up for howling at the moon?

Say hello to the Cackler. A Tzeentch trickster who delights in causing mayhem on scales large and small, for nothing changes someone more than adding a little Chaos into their life.

One of the more recent escapades he finds great humour in retelling other servants of the Goddess, whom he finds himself gravitating towards (for now), was disguising himself as a squig and letting himself get eaten by an Ork wierdboy shaman, infusing the brute with his own magical power. This sparked a wierdwaagh that caused untold carnage, delighting the Cackler greatly.

Though nothing amused him more about the whole thing than the look on the face of the young human boy who found the wierdboy shaman dead at his feet, head exploded, stabbed by a strange ritual dagger in his hands.
[+] Expand
He let the boy keep the weapon. For what kind of hero would he be without his mighty sword.

HA HA HA!!!

What, not laughing with me?
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:58 pm

After the Tzeentch Herald, I didn't do too much for painting last week. Though I did pick up some more blue/brimstones on the weekend, which I finished on Tuesday.
[+] Expand
This was important, because on Wednesday, I somehow'd a Knight or two (or 8 ).
[+] Expand
So far, I have 3 of the Helverins built up and almost ready to start priming. Now that they're built, comes the act of green stuffing hanging banners from the barrels of their auto-cannons. I'm a little concerned about this, as I've never done anything more than gap-filling with greenstuff.
[+] Expand
Two of the helverins were actually an accidental order (I only meant to order one extra box above the 2 that came in the lance bundle), so I've traded them both for two of the Warglaives. Then, with a purchase of one more box of warglaives, I'll have 4 of each. I'm in no rush on the warglaives, as I have plans to convert the weapons on all 4 based on this:
[+] Expand
The person did a tutorial, and I have 4 of the kits necessary on order from Japan to make it.

Sadly, though, we're having a bit of a heatwave, so it's been difficult to find the motivation to leave my air conditioned room to do any modeling (in an area that is pointedly not air conditioned).
Armies: