Koonitz's weekly paint 2018

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Koonitz's weekly paint 2018

Post by Koonitz » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:25 pm

Gotta get started somewhere, I suppose. Ran out of white spray primer, and the FLGS is out, so I can't continue my Disciples of Tzeentch for the time being. Though I had just enough to get these two Pink Horrors completed. A banner and musician for the unit. I didn't do these up originally, because I don't like paying the points in 40k for them, but they're very much worth it in AoS, so I added them in.
[+] Expand
Then, lacking anything to do, I assembled a few models, put them aside, and finally decided to paint up the legend. The model I said "I would start a Thousand Sons Heresy Legion if they ever produced a pre-heresy model for him." Ahzek Ahriman.

There are a few things I'm not too pleased with, but overall, I'm satisfied.
[+] Expand
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Koonitz's weekly paint 2018

Post by General-Kroll » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:39 pm

Ahriman is looking pretty sharp. Nice work.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:21 am

I agree with the general, the mini looks nice!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:20 pm

Nothin' much exciting to report, as I'm still out of white spray primer. With the new Codex: Thousand Sons, I decided to tweak my 30k Praetor. The 40k codex did a little tweaking with the Sorcerer in Terminator armour. Still not exalted sorc in terminator armour, yet, but they got access to the inferno combi-bolter, but lost access to variant combi-weapons. As such, I had to remove the combi-melta to make him still useable in 40k. In its stead? A weapon that isn't available in 40k, at all! I gave him a volkite charger, which I think would stand in for an inferno-combi-bolter just fine.

He also got a new buddy. In the lore, pre-burning of prospero, Thousand Sons sorcerers had tutelaries. Little helpful spirits that, spoiler alert, turned out to be daemons. In 40k, there's a rule for familiars and its only available to regular sorcs in terminator armour. Thus, Captain Herihor earned himself Lockheed.

Oh, and a neat, new stand to better reflect the fact that he is an archaeologist.
[+] Expand
I've also taken the time to assemble what I can of next month's AoS escalation league, which includes 10 more Tzaangors, 10 pink horrors and another shaman. I'm particularly pleased with these 4 great weapons. Especially the pole-axe, to be honest. It's simply the banner bearer, with an axe head from the Kairic Acolyte kit, but it REALLY works.
[+] Expand
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:47 pm

Got my weekend promise completed. The 6 Discs of Tzeentch are done. They are REEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLL high up on my list of "most annoying to paint". I'm not really happy, and I cut a couple corners, but I just wanted to get them done.
[+] Expand
Instead of working on the 6 Skyfires to go on them, I opted to take a break. I recently ordered the key centerpieces for my Thousand Sons (I already had my Glaive), and I did some work prepping the Armoured Proteus. I had a set of Land Raider doors to go with it, but turns out it needs Rhino doors instead, for the angled egress points. Good news is, I had a Rhino door set, too. Savin' the Land Raider doors for a standard Land Raider, then.
[+] Expand
Armies:

Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Signet-Powers » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:08 pm

Those disks honestly look really cool from my pespective, very 'Sorcery' with how they're different colors and look like they're made from different textures.

Good luck on the Land Raider anyhow.

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Signet-Powers wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:08 pm
Those disks honestly look really cool from my pespective, very 'Sorcery' with how they're different colors and look like they're made from different textures.
A little insider information:
1) With the rear middle disc, the transition between the 'stone' tan and the red symbols looks terrible and I hate it every time I look at it.
2) The two other rear discs look a little flat, but that blends in decently well with a model standing atop them. They're overall m'eh.
3) The front left one, I was going for a dark red look on the main body, and it failed utterly, with the crimson wash being used drying super-matte and looking horrible. I slapped some 'ard coat over it and prayed for the best.
4) The other two front ones look super great and came out fantastic.

Signet-Powers wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:08 pm
Good luck on the Land Raider anyhow.
If I can't have a Land Raider Terminus Ultra, then SCREW IT, I'LL TAKE THE NEXT BEST THING!
[+] Expand
I'm actually really happy with how the 3D printed turret inserts (the orange bits) came out. The model only comes with a twin heavy bolter turret, but the model can swap for twin lascannons or twin heavy flamers. With a simple magnetizing of the cowling over top, it'll be an easy matter to swap them as needed.

My only problem is that I simply CANNOT find a suitably sized heavy flamer model that I can use for the twin-heavy flamers that fit in such a small housing. Every heavy flamer is singularly just right or slightly small, but pairing two of them would be FAR too oversized. Don't suppose anyone has any ideas?
Armies:

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Have you tried the IG ones yet?
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:41 pm

Marit Lage wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:46 pm
Have you tried the IG ones yet?
Which ones? If you mean the Leman Russ sponson ones, not yet, as I haven't pulled them out. As far as I'm aware, they're roughly the same size as every other heavy flamer I've managed to find, which is the fact that the heavy flamer, itself, is just about the right size for the weapon mounting, but I need to fit two. I don't want to go with just one and say "IT'S A TWIN!" because that's super awkward.

I'll pull one out when I get home and see if I'm wrong, though. I do know the sentinel heavy flamer is going to be as I mentioned above. I may look into using two regular flamers, but I'm worried they may be too small. Maybe if I put three of the heresy era flamers (old school cone nozzles) on the end of a trio of pipes, that might work....
Armies:

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:17 pm

What if you took the ones from the tanks, and sandwiched them together to make into a box, and lay them in horizontally?
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:37 pm

Marit Lage wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:17 pm
What if you took the ones from the tanks, and sandwiched them together to make into a box, and lay them in horizontally?
Not quite, I guess, but the suggestion did pay off. Thanks for that! There'll be a bit more cleaning up I'll want to do, but it does work. They were a shade too tall so I had to trim them a bit.
[+] Expand
Armies:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:40 am

Yeah, that turned out nicely!

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:21 pm

Ugh. Done. These were a chore. I had so much trouble figuring out any sort of unifying theme that they're kind of a mish-mash... I didn't know what to do with the horns until about an hour before I finished the models.... Probably gonna go back and re-do the loin cloths to match the horns. Maybe... Maybe I'll do it with the other 3 I have to do and see if it's worth it...
[+] Expand
Armies:

Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Rouven » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:40 am

I think they came out very nicely. The horns look really good and totally fitting. How did you do the metal parts? (Silver + Druchi Violet?)
Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator
Dark Angels: Cypher
Shadespire: Spiteclaw's Swarm (5)

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:30 pm

Rouven wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:40 am
I think they came out very nicely. The horns look really good and totally fitting. How did you do the metal parts? (Silver + Druchi Violet?)
Thanks. The horns I really like, which is why I was super happy I stumbled on doing them that way (I did the feathers, maintaining a 'red' motif, but wanted to do more than flat red, so went phoenix feather, and it just clicked).

The metal is exactly that. Leadbelcher, washed in druchi violet, then drybrushed runefang to brighten it back up to a more 'purpled silver', instead of purple metal.
Armies: