Arnathos's's #theeweeklypaint 2018

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Arnathos's's #theeweeklypaint 2018

Post by Arnathos » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:27 pm

So, lets do this!

I've gotten 20 models done already, not quite 1 per day, but still good for 1 month. 19 of these you've already seen in my 2017 thread and the latest addition is:
[+] Expand
An artists interpretation of Lewdgrip Whiparm, Blood Bowl star player. He wasn't really planned, but as I was modelling my Chaos pact theme I realized that the situation where a marauder/renegade lineman would actually get tentacles were very finite. Hence I decided to make him into a Star player as I already have a Nurgle team that can use him and it will be interesting playing a thrower on a bashy-ish team.
Using a Tzeentch model as a base does mean he lost some of his Slaaneshiness, but I tried to compensate with colours.

The rest of the chaos pact team has been coming along nicely, albeit at slight cost to my schoolwork productivity. I am still missing the elf and the rat, but I'll probably receive those sometime this week. No idea how long painting them will take, as some of the models are quite different and don't really fit my batch painting style. Especially the big guys and the Thaumathurge I'm using as minotaur will take a while to get 'right'. But it is a fun project, I also made an Ugroth Bolgrot model in case I get bored of the colour scheme ;)
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Marit Lage
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Arnathos's's #theeweeklypaint 2018

Post by Marit Lage » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:23 pm

Your models make me want to start a Bloodbowl team. They look universally great.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:14 am

That's a cool model and I really like the transition on this tentacle!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Rouven » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:24 am

That's a nice and smooth finish. And it reminds me of an Ork team that has been sitting on a shelf for a while now and wants to get painted. :)
Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator
Dark Angels: Cypher
Shadespire: Spiteclaw's Swarm (5)

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:23 pm

Thanks guys! That means a lot!

Sorry for the lack of updates. I managed to finish some IG weapon teams but I misplaced my snow flock, so still no pictures.

The chaos pact team is coming along nicely, the marauders, Ork, Ogre, Troll and Goblin are almost done. The mino will need some serious blending on his skin, so I wanted to get the other stuff out of the way first. I'll finally be getting elf bits this Thursday which will let me build the dark elf, I have an emergency backup Skaven model in case I can't get a current edition one as well.

My main problem currently is, with this first part of the semester being half way done, school work is starting to pile up. I also need to chase after some companies for internships and get a commissioner for my future bachelor's thesis.

Things should lighten up after the spring break though, as I realised won't be able to do all of the theory before the summer, meaning I only have the normal course load for the 2nd half of the semester, instead of the current double. Hope I can get some painting in meanwhile, as well as some updates with pictures!
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:38 am

Busy busy! Let's make time for an update, photobomb inc:

Fezglitch(Really just a plague monk, but still):
[+] Expand
Chaos Pact team:
[+] Expand
Also finished my Ugroth Bolgrot(Orc chainsaw) but haven't uploaded pics of him yet.

I'm out of Blood Bowl stuff to paint for the moment and 40k is still on a hiatus, plus the 40k stuff I have unpainted is mostly for redundancy so not in a hurry. With school being what it is, I decided to pack away the paint supplies for a while to concentrate more on getting theory out of the way. I did find out I won't be able to do all theoretical stuff from the 3rd year this year yet, but at least I've gotten most things done so I should be able to graduate in just over a year.

But yes, even less updates from here on out, probably more once summer hits and I have more free time(and money) to spend on the hobby! Besides plans to start a chaos dwarf team at some point this year(not just to be 'that guy' but also because I always wanted chaos dwarfs) and the evil, evil people over at the facebook Blood Bowl community have somewhat inspired me to make an amazon team, after seeing an amazing elven union/escher kitbash.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:34 pm

Love the Skaven =D one of my fave models
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:05 pm

Guildenstern wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:34 pm
The plague censer bearer or the 2nd ed. clanrat? :P

The clanrat was a last resort kind of model.

School stuff is letting up a bit again. I noticed that my Chaos Pact team really needs Zzharg Madeye, so I started converting and painting him.

Will have to pots some pics of him and Ugroth Bolgrot soonish.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:17 am

Pics!

Ugroth Bolgrot(artists' interpretation):
[+] Expand
Zzharg Madeye(Also artists' interpretation):
[+] Expand
Actually noticed after taking the pic that I forgot to add a number to Zzharg. He now has the number 44 on his ballzooka. Did some research on Hashuts sacred number, turns out there isn't an official one, but a good case was made for the number 4 several times, so I went with that. 12 was also tempting but is usually already taken on my teams.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:21 am

Those are some very cool models! It would have been fun, if the ball on the dwarfs ballzooka would have been removable... so you can put it on top of it, once he carries the ball, instead of sticking it before it's feet... or is it actually and the whole in the base just confused me??
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Arnathos wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:05 pm
Guildenstern wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:34 pm
The plague censer bearer or the 2nd ed. clanrat? :P

The clanrat was a last resort kind of model.

School stuff is letting up a bit again. I noticed that my Chaos Pact team really needs Zzharg Madeye, so I started converting and painting him.

Will have to pots some pics of him and Ugroth Bolgrot soonish.
Meant the Censor bearer but also I do love Clan rats lol

New stuff is looking awesome as well!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:08 am

LordMcAllister wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:21 am
Those are some very cool models! It would have been fun, if the ball on the dwarfs ballzooka would have been removable... so you can put it on top of it, once he carries the ball, instead of sticking it before it's feet... or is it actually and the whole in the base just confused me??
This... Didn't occur to me at all! That would have been a much better idea! :lol: But at least now he is consistent with the rest of my BB models, but if I ever make a Baric Farblast I'll have to keep this in mind!

And thanks Guildy!

I have also noticed that I cannot stop myself from planning new Blood Bowl teams, I am sort of afraid that if I ever get a job it is just going to get worse, as at the moment budgetary constraints are all that are stopping me from making new teams. Escher/elven union kitbash amazons, even a Daemons of Khorne team, with Chaos Dwarfs I still have the Bull Centaur conundrum, as I'd like renders, but they are YUGE, but would get me an extra one for the star player as well. Khorne used to have the problem of the Blood Thirster, which I decided a Balrog would fit nicely, for the heralds I was debating dressing up Bloodletters vs using the Exalted Deathbringer and Skarr Bloodwrath, which again might be slightly yuge.

But again, its just plans.

I do have stuff I can paint for 40k and such, but I do not feel inspired, one of the main reasons for this is that I have switched from Abaddon black to Celestria grey undercoating for all of my painting nowadays. The thought of going back to black really doesn't excite me, as it is a bit more tedious to get a nice solid colour. But switching would get me a different end result entirely, which is also less than ideal.

To do list:
[+] Expand
Word Bearers:
- 20ish Space marines.
- 25+ cultists.
- maybe a terminator or 2, depending on bits.

Imperial guard:
- Regimental advisors(3 models).
- Scout sentinel with magnetized weapons.
- Start collecting Scions box.

Empire:
- Mortar + Crew
- 10ish infantry
- 0 motivation to get this done.

Misc:
- Archaon on Foot, still not found an inspiring paint theme, although blood bowl helps me test things.

The list hasn't changed much the past couple of years, it might be a pattern. I still haven't recovered from the death of fantasy, people around here are starting 9th age now, but it just looks and feels like ETChammer, something of which I have always been an avid opponent. The main problem being lack of inspiration to paint the few fringe models I still have laying around.

The thing with the chaos models is that I already have a metric ton of tactical marines, more than I will ever use in the current ruleset, whilst I don't have a lot of cultists, I do have over 40, which again is more than enough with the current rules, the black undercoat problem is also a big show stopper here, although I guess I should just get started/continue and might find myself inspired later. Plans to expand my raptor and warp talon wings have also sort of ground to a halt, this mostly because of money reasons, but then looking at what I spent on Blood bowl last year, this is not the entire truth :wink:

With the guard sentinel, I lost the assembly instructions, and the thing is a lot more complicated that the old ones used to be. The scion box just needs starting really, but I haven't had the time to play a lot of 40k, so it also hit delays. At least I got the weapon teams done. I also need to find my snow flock, to finish their bases, no idea where I put that stuff :?

/rant
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB: