Rouven's Weekly Paint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Rouven's Weekly Paint

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:27 pm

lovely chaos!
espeically love that predator =D
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Rouven » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:19 am

Thank you. :)

I finished my Predator. (Sorry for the slightly blurry pics.)

Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator
Dark Angels: Cypher
Shadespire: Spiteclaw's Swarm (5)

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:27 am

Very, very nice! There is absolutly nothing I could be nitpicking on. The angle of the first picture is absolutly awesome! Very well chosen!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Rouven » Fri May 11, 2018 11:55 am

I've been working on 10 Plaguemarines and a Plagueburst Crawler recently. However, I haven't finished anything. And...

...I decided to take part in a fun painting competition organised by my local GW store. Every participant had to chip in 25 Euros and received a random mini - I got Cypher, so I can't really complain because 25 Euros is exactly his retail price. (There were only elite and HQ minis in the raffle - no mini more than once. One lucky guy even got Guilliman.) I believe there are about 35 participants and I'm really looking forward to seeing the results.

I've already started watching Kris' quick tips series about Cypher and I think I'll more or less try to copy his way of painting him.
Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Fri May 11, 2018 1:06 pm

Ooooh, can't wait to see how this comes together! Post lots of WIP photos!

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Mon May 21, 2018 1:03 pm

Okay, so this is the first WIP pic of Cypher:

I have painted his face, the inner part of his cloak and I started painting his armour. After the armour I'll concentrate on the outer part of the cloak (so far I've only blocked in the base colour.)

Moreover, I also started working on a Shadespire warband. This is my test model:

Painted in 2018:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed May 23, 2018 4:16 pm

I really love those subtle highlights on the armour of your Cypher! They are blending in with the black very smoothly (I hope this word exists... or is it just ,,smooth"?). Anyway, you know what I mean! Looking forward for a finishing highlight! The face looks very realistic, too, though the picture doesn't show it too well.

I really like the rusted metal parts on the skaven!
Painted in 2018:
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:06 pm

Thank you.

Here's the finished Cypher:

And I finished two more members of my Shadespire warband:

Last weekend I attended another great Scar's Miniature Madness workshop. I learnt a lot about how to use my airbrush to paint infantry models. This was my workpiece:

I really can recommend Scar's Miniature Madness workshops. Peter is a great teacher - always willing to explain things a second or third time and the overall atmosphere of the workshop is friendly and energizing.
Painted in 2018:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:05 pm

Very cool Cypher! I really envy you for attending the course!
Painted in 2018:

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:40 pm

I finally finished my first Shadespire warband: Spiteclaw's Swarm

Next, I'm going to start working on "The Chosen Axes" (dwarfs).
Painted in 2018:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:55 pm

I like the way these turned out. The sculpts are cool and you've done a nice job giving the warband a cohesive look.

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:37 am

Thank you, Munin. And yes, I like the sculpts, too. I think that all the Shadespire warbands look really cool, but the Skaven a definitely my favourite minis.

As planned, I assembled, primed and started painting "The Chosen Axes". I even managed to finish one of the minis. Unfortunately, the white primer I used came out a bit chalky - for most paints this does not matter much, but you can still see it through the metal paints (especially in the photos - it does not stick out as much if you look at the mini directly - the transition of the skin colour tones looks smoother in real life, too).

ImageImage
Painted in 2018:

Nexus_Crawler
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:52 am

Rouven wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:06 pm
Thank you.

Here's the finished Cypher:

This base is awesome. Can you give a breakdown on how you did it?
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:53 pm

I used cork for the main structure and painted it in a dark brown. Then I put Agrellan Earth on the surfaces and drybrushed the whole base with Karak Stone and Ushabti Bone. I used Leadbelcher, which I heavily drybrushed with Scrag Brown, to achieve the rust effect of the pipe. The slimy fluid is Nurgle's Rot.
Painted in 2018:

Nexus_Crawler
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:47 pm

Rouven wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:53 pm
I used cork for the main structure and painted it in a dark brown. Then I put Agrellan Earth on the surfaces and drybrushed the whole base with Karak Stone and Ushabti Bone. I used Leadbelcher, which I heavily drybrushed with Scrag Brown, to achieve the rust effect of the pipe. The slimy fluid is Nurgle's Rot.
Neat - the sides do not look like just cork. I thought that there was more to it.

I was just looking at that nurgle rhino. Man, if you have a camcorder you should make a video showing the steps you used. Tight.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--