Rouven's Weekly Paint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Rouven's Weekly Paint

Post by Rouven » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:53 am

This is what I painted in 2017:
T'au: 2 Broadsides, 6 Stealth Suits, 1 Ethereal, 1 Ghostkeel, 12 Firewarriors, 1 Commander, 10 Pathfinders
Death Guard: 20 Poxwalkers, 10 Plague Marines, 10 Plaguebearers

I did not work on my Ork army at all, so everything looks as it did one year ago.

However, my Tau army grew quite a bit.

But there is still a lot of work to do. Here is a list of my unfinished Tau minis:

1 unit of Fire Warriors (assembled)
1 Commander in Iridium Armour (in frame)
2 Ethereals (in frame)
1 Ghostkeels (in frame)
1 Riptide (partly painted)
3 Stealth Suits (in frame)
3 Crisis Suits (partly painted)
3 Broadsides (in frame)
2 Piranhas (partly painted)
2 Hammerhead Gunships (assembled)
2 Devilfish (1 assembled, 1 in frame)
1 Stormsurge (in frame)

And I started a Death Guard army last year. This is what it looks like at the moment:

And these are the models that I haven't assembled and/or painted yet:

1 Typhus (nearly finished)
10 Plague Marines (in frame)
2 Foetid Bloat-drones (1 assemled and primed, 1 in frame)
3 Myphitic Blight-haulers
1 Plagueburst Crawler (in frame)
2 Lord of Contagions (1 assembled and primed, 1 in frame)
2 Noxious Blight Bringers (1 assmbled and primed, 1 in frame)
1 Malignant Plaguecaster (in frame)
20 Poxwalkers (assembled and primed)
1 Chaos Predator (in frame)
2 1 Beasts of Nurlge (assembled and primed)
1 Nurgle Sorcerer (in frame)
10 Plaguebearers (in frame)
1 Poxbringer (in frame)
3 Plague Drones (in frame)
3 Nurglings (in frame)

Two weeks ago I attended Scarsminiaturemadness' airbrush course in Eindhoven where we painted a Rhino and I really learnt a lot there. The course also helped me to get a lot quicker, so last week I painted another Death Guard Rhino.

Next week I want to finish Typhus.
Last edited by Rouven on Sat May 19, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator
Dark Angels: Cypher
Shadespire: Spiteclaw's Swarm (5)

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Rouven's Weekly Paint

Post by LordMcAllister » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:29 pm

Those are really some impressive armies! I like the look of that rhino, well done!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Rouven » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:56 am

Thank you. :-)

I managed to finish Typhus. He'll be the general of my army (for now) - that's why I put a little bit more effort into his base than I'd normally do.
And I know that I made a mistake when I assembled him. Since his head is painted in a much brighter colour than the rest of his body I wanted to paint it separately. When I wanted to glue the head to the rest of the body, I realised that I couldn't fit it into the designated gap in his armour - so I glued it on top of it. I actually like the look of it - Typhus looks a bit taller now.

I'm not completely sure about what I want to do next, but I think I'll start working on 20 more Poxwalkers.
Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:26 pm

Those are lovely! I love how the little nurglying things look rather like flowers (or maybe that's just me! Lol)

How do you get your whole army shots to come out so nicely?? Mine always have some out of focus =/
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:20 pm

Thank you.
I didn't really do anything special. Okay, I placed the armies between two daylight lamps and put my mobile on a tripod, but that's it. I did not use a good camera or Photoshop. Btw we used to have a sticky thread on the forum in which someone explained how you could make sure that all parts of your army stay sharp in a photo. I believe he/she took several photos with different focal points and used Photoshop to merge them into one photograph. Unfortunately, I cannot find the thread anymore.
Painted in 2018:

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:20 am

I've already painted the skin and the horns of the Poxwalkers - I only applies washes so far. From this point on I will finish them in batches of 4-6.

Painted in 2018:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:40 am

Typhus looks greats! I really like his base! Though personally, I would have considered a bit more weathering on him. Like more rust streaks, verdigris, a bit of chipping on the armour. But that's just my personal taste, he looks great the way he is!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:34 am

LordMcAllister wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:40 am
Typhus looks greats! I really like his base! Though personally, I would have considered a bit more weathering on him. Like more rust streaks, verdigris, a bit of chipping on the armour. But that's just my personal taste, he looks great the way he is!
Yeah, you're right, and that's something that I considered, too. The main reason why I didn't do that was that I wanted to practice glazing on this model. I was quite happy with the way the armour plates came out (especially his shoulder pads and the torso) and was afraid of ruining the effect with too much weathering. I applied a little bit of oil wash though.
I personally always find it hard to decide how beaten up/ weathered my Death Guard should look. On the one hand, they are Nurgle's servants and on the other hand, they are still - in a way - Space Marines. So far, I've always tried to paint my Death Guard marines a little less weathered than, let's say, my Poxwalker or my Plaguebearers (in order to achieve a kind of gradient in my army).
Painted in 2018:

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:25 pm

I finished my painting pledge and painted six Poxwalkers.

I still have to put some slime on the bases, but I'll have to varnish them first (I don't want to lose the glossy shimmer on the slime).
Now there are only 14 Poxwalkers more to go. I hope that I'll be able to finish them within the next two weeks.
Painted in 2018:

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:18 am

This week I finished my painting pledge (6 Poxwalkers) plus 2 additional Poxwalkers. So there are only 6 more Poxwalkers to go and I will have finished my second squad of 20 Poxwalkers. I haven't taken a picture, but I'll take a group shot as soon as I've finished the whole bunch.
Painted in 2018:

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:58 pm

I finished the second unit of 20 Poxwalkers - it took me a while to finish them because of my job and because I got a cold last month.
This means that now I have 40 of them + Typhus to buff them:

And I also manged to paint a Beast of Nurgle - they are not really a very competitive choice, but I love the new model. (Sorry for the bad picture quality - I didn't have a very good light source.)

Image Image

On Monday I'll have my first match with my Death Guard army and I'd like to field 20 Plaguebearers, which means that I'll have to paint 10 more of them by Monday.
Painted in 2018:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:21 pm

Gah, that thing is revolting! By which I mean, nice job!

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:38 pm

Thanks, Munin. :)

I really managed to finish painting my second group of 10 Pleaguebearers. Here's a photo of all 20 of them:

I lost the game I played earlier today. Pointwise it was a clear victory for my opponent, who played Space Wolves (2:7). However, the game felt much closer and I learnt the following things:
- Poxwalkers are great against an enemy who wants to get into close combat (especially together with Typhus - but even without him they can easily tar pit stronger units)
- Beasts of Nurgle are relatively useless (unless you use large groups of them)
- Myphitic Blight Haulers are great allrounders (good at killing tanks, useful in close combat, buff nearby units)
- I need more Plaguemarines

My next aim is to finish painting my second Beast of Nurgle - it might be useless, but they just look cool. Perhaps I'll also start working on my Nurglings or even a new squad of Plaguemarines.
Painted in 2018:

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:20 pm

Quick update: I didn't work on the Beast of Nurgle at all... so it still looks as it did at the beginning of this week.

Instead I assembled 10 Plague Marines and primed them green. (I REALLY need to be able to field more of them in my next game.) At the moment I'm working on all the copper armour trims.

Painted in 2018:

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:38 am

I continued working on the Plague Marines.

And I also started working on a Predator.

Painted in 2018: